Work colleagues

11 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It is strange. Since Christmas he has been very, very friendly. We went for a coffee a couple of weeks ago and he keeps calling me on Teams asking questions and chatting. 

He's definitely shagging your wife.

Seem's to be a lot of fairly entitled people saying "no, i won't be back to the office unfortunately"

They weren't hired on the basis of working from home, so if your work proposes hybrid working (2 days in the office for us) then it's not really "asking".

People are quick to say "but thats not what my contract says" when it suits them.

Some are arguing the cost of petrol etc as a reason for staying at home. It's all quite ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong though, i hated being in the office with those clock watching b*****ds

Edited by red23

1 hour ago, red23 said:

Seem's to be a lot of fairly entitled people saying "no, i won't be back to the office unfortunately"

They weren't hired on the basis of working from home, so if your work proposes hybrid working (2 days in the office for us) then it's not really "asking".

People are quick to say "but thats not what my contract says" when it suits them.

Some are arguing the cost of petrol etc as a reason for staying at home. It's all quite ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong though, i hated being in the office with those clock watching b*****ds

Thick c***s.  Should be telling their boss they’re sacrificing coming into the office to use less petrol and save the polar bears.  They want to come in but the ongoing climate emergency and energy crisis etc.

People can be really stupid sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/04/2022 at 19:20, Left Back said:

Thick c***s.  Should be telling their boss they’re sacrificing coming into the office to use less petrol and save the polar bears.  They want to come in but the ongoing climate emergency and energy crisis etc.

People can be really stupid sometimes.

Strange vibes in my place right now. We've been allowed back the last couple of months, but the vast majority of people have adapted well to WFH and have probably been a bit more productive in that setting without the distractions of open plan offices. It's been so successful that we've been informed from the very top that we shouldn't have "set days" to come in and should report any instances of staff being pressured into presenteeism....I'm guessing they can see savings to be made in real estate and so on in the future.

It's some elements of middle management that seem to be losing their shit at these developments and are now in open rebellion...I think they've been projecting and telling each other that "everyone's desperate to get back into the office" for so long that they actually believe it was the case.

Most people seem to have settled on coming in one or maybe two days a week to the utter impotent fury of the 2019 Reenactment Society who were gung-ho for everybody to be back in five days a week because they understood it better that way.

12 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Strange vibes in my place right now. We've been allowed back the last couple of months, but the vast majority of people have adapted well to WFH and have probably been a bit more productive in that setting without the distractions of open plan offices. It's been so successful that we've been informed from the very top that we shouldn't have "set days" to come in and should report any instances of staff being pressured into presenteeism....I'm guessing they can see savings to be made in real estate and so on in the future.

It's some elements of middle management that seem to be losing their shit at these developments and are now in open rebellion...I think they've been projecting and telling each other that "everyone's desperate to get back into the office" for so long that they actually believe it was the case.

Most people seem to have settled on coming in one or maybe two days a week to the utter impotent fury of the 2019 Reenactment Society who were gung-ho for everybody to be back in five days a week because they understood it better that way.

This sums up my wifes work. Upper management have basically said 'continue to work from home if you can unless there is a business reason that you must be in the office' My wife and her colleague's boss has said i want you in at least 4 days a week. they quite rightly said 'what's the business case for that' and the honest reply was.... 'Because I want you in'

there are a lot of people can't get their heads round the world has moved on from 2019. We have proven that we can work from home and be productive, so working 5 days a week in the office should no longer be the norm.

My work has been sensible, 2 days a week minimum arranged with your manager on a flexible basis.

10 minutes ago, steelmen said:

This sums up my wifes work. Upper management have basically said 'continue to work from home if you can unless there is a business reason that you must be in the office' My wife and her colleague's boss has said i want you in at least 4 days a week. they quite rightly said 'what's the business case for that' and the honest reply was.... 'Because I want you in'

there are a lot of people can't get their heads round the world has moved on from 2019. We have proven that we can work from home and be productive, so working 5 days a week in the office should no longer be the norm.

My work has been sensible, 2 days a week minimum arranged with your manager on a flexible basis.

I reckon the main issue is that in common with a lot of places there's a cohort of middle managers who are overly-wedded to office culture and politics and thrive on being present and visible because it's really all they've got to offer. They can't understand that the majority of people aren't champing at the bit to return to old ways when over the last two years they've been able to work just as well from home - maybe even marginally better.

In future it'll be what informs people's decisions on where they want to work - I've already seen it happen when we were running some internal recruitments recently - the ones that the line managers were comfortable with primarily WFH going forward got plenty of interest, but the one where the LM's a well known old-schooler with a hardon for presence in the office didn't get a sniff.

24 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I reckon the main issue is that in common with a lot of places there's a cohort of middle managers who are overly-wedded to office culture and politics and thrive on being present and visible because it's really all they've got to offer. They can't understand that the majority of people aren't champing at the bit to return to old ways when over the last two years they've been able to work just as well from home - maybe even marginally better.

In future it'll be what informs people's decisions on where they want to work - I've already seen it happen when we were running some internal recruitments recently - the ones that the line managers were comfortable with primarily WFH going forward got plenty of interest, but the one where the LM's a well known old-schooler with a hardon for presence in the office didn't get a sniff.

I've just started a wfh role. It's week one in fairness but I'm looking forward to not dealing with office politics. Head down and do my role. Manage my own time. 

44 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I'd say a lot of it is probably comes down to power with middle management and maybe the type of workplace. I find it weird when people are so against it, office "culture" is awful, I can't stand small talk. I hate office traditions of whip rounds for such n such is pregnant/leaving/married/birthday/dead honestly, couldn't give a f**k. If I never see an office again. Bliss. 

I've not been in the office for years now, I move around jobs a lot as it's always contracts, not even entertaining the idea of going back into the office.

Edited by thistledo

2 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I'd say a lot of it is probably comes down to power with middle management and maybe the type of workplace. I find it weird when people are so against it, office "culture" is awful, I can't stand small talk. I hate office traditions of whip rounds for such n such is pregnant/leaving/married/birthday/dead honestly, couldn't give a f**k. If I never see an office again. Bliss. 

I've not been in the office for years now, I move around jobs a lot as it's always contracts, not even entertaining the idea of going back into the office.

Amen, brother.........................

Moving through the change from 100% WFH to Hybrid.

Most seem to be happy with doing the office 2-3 days a week but couple of managers pushing for 4.

Seeing as since I started they have spent money on new laptops for all, docking stations, desk and chair in house and the work is running fine through Teams etc, and they adding a phone number to Teams to allow full contact with customers seems a lot of expense for a Friday at home working. Mostly seems to a control issue with a couple of managers. 

I meant to add, her manager isn’t planning on coming to the office more that a day or two a week as she stays too far away… she doesn’t see that as double standards.

Having spent a long number of years as a middle manager in previous occupations, they'll be shitting themselves at the prospect of missing out on extra long breaks/lunches which are disguised as 'working' lunches, meetings put in place for the sake of meetings, and as mentioned already, just being 'visible' at the right times to justify their existence.

Like a lot of their employees, some middle managers will thrive on the wfh/hybrid way of working - many will be found out, and ultimately fail.