Work colleagues

47 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It's all kickin off in my work. The set up, before I started earlier this year, was a team of between 6 and 9 under one manager. But the team kept losing folk because the manager has been there for years and has no intention of moving up. Very happy and settled. So the rest of the team can't really go above them and end up leaving for other organisations. So the upper management decided to make two of the roles "supervisor" roles. It's, honestly, the exact same job but includes "mentoring". So it will be one manager, two supervisors, and five jobbers but the supervisors get an extra few bob. Anyway there are four folk who have been here for ages who all applied for these supervisor roles and, obviously, only two got it. The two that never got it have been very vocally unhappy about this for a while. Last night the two folk who are starting the supervisor roles were asked what they thought about a potential bit of extra work for the team. Management have told us today "here's some extra work we want you to do from next week. We discussed it with the supervisors last night" and now it is kicking off. The two who got the KB are raging that the new supervisors have gave us extra work and saying they can no longer trust them and asking how they are getting paid more while we are the ones getting more work and all sorts of stuff. It's a great laugh. A very happy and unified team has been totally split apart because two of them get an extra £50 a month.

Management meeting minutes.

"There's a big block of work coming up. I don't fancy carrying the can. Who can we get to blame at minimal cost?"

13 hours ago, dave258 said:

@scottsdad is this you?

I learned many years ago that university admin staff should be treated as well as possible. Aside from being overworked and underappreciated, without what they do the whole system would fall down. I am lucky that I get to choose the days and times of my classes. Unsurprisingly arseholes get the Friday afternoon classes

11 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

FAO @scottsdad,

C'mon, man, you're bordering on dereliction of duty here...........no updates since last Thursday ? WTF is going down with the Prof at St.Custards ????

Chiz.......................

Not sure why I'm not getting notifications. 

Not much to update. I have a meeting with him next week but other than accepting my meeting invite he has ignored all my other emails (about teaching and other stuff). I'll be charitable and say he is busy, and not in a cream puff.

When and if something comes up I'll report back. But in the meantime I have been like this

natalie-dormer-eating.gif

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Not sure why I'm not getting notifications. 

Not much to update. I have a meeting with him next week but other than accepting my meeting invite he has ignored all my other emails (about teaching and other stuff). I'll be charitable and say he is busy, and not in a cream puff.

When and if something comes up I'll report back. But in the meantime I have been like this

natalie-dormer-eating.gif

Busier than him then.

Heard some gossip today about the job I left six months back.

The only remaining members of staff (out of about twenty) are the two general managers and one guy who was sacked (for throwing things at other staff) then rehired. This is the second time he's been sacked and rehired.

A reality programme was looking to film there and came up to do some preliminary location scouting. One of the general managers went around the area begging other business to lend him staff for the day of shooting. Having been knocked back by everyone he turned down the free publicity as he knew it would be impossible to show the place in a good light with the current staff.

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

How will we know if The Prof is on strike?

If a strike is called, regardless of union, the prof strikes me as the type that will down tools in solidarity.  He won’t care about technicalities like being a member of the striking union.

That’s the only way you’ll know.  Being at work or on strike will not change his productivity in the slightest.

He has more chance of losing his job is scottsdad goes on strike and there’s no-one teaching the profs courses.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If a strike is called, regardless of union, the prof strikes me as the type that will down tools in solidarity.  He won’t care about technicalities like being a member of the striking union.

That’s the only way you’ll know.  Being at work or on strike will not change his productivity in the slightest.

He has more chance of losing his job is scottsdad goes on strike and there’s no-one teaching the profs courses.

I like a man of principle!

I stopped being a member of the UCU years ago. No strike for me. The union I found just isn't representative of my views and they tend to focus on issues of lesser importance. Their Covid response has just strengthened my view. If left to the union I would still be teaching remotely for "safety" . 

I have no doubt that some colleagues in the same boat will use strike days as unofficial holidays and still claim full pay. 

I once worked in a shop in the St Enoch centre in Glasgow.

I was in the rota to work hogmanay 1997, the boss had given himself the day off, so he said to me a few days before, "see what the other shops are doing and if  you are the only ones left open you can close early."

Our day was 9-6, by 5pm every shop had closed it's doors and our wee shop was the only one with it's lights on in an utterly deserted shopping centre.

My bus back to EK was every half hour, so i thought fair enough, I'll close early, get the bus at 6 instead of half past.

I closed the shop and left at 5:50.

Between 5:50 and 6pm the managing director of the company phoned, obviously no answer.

A few days later the manager pulled me into the office all officious like and said, "I'd like to talk to you about the closing procedure of the shop on the 31st December last year."

i said yeah, whats the problem, I was then told that the MD had phoned and no one answered, I told him I left at 5:50 as he said If it was dead I could.

"I don't ever remember saying that" was his reply.

I got a final written warning

The manager in question left a few years later and became a polis, the right profession for the f*ckin snake

Edited by Oystercatcher

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I stopped being a member of the UCU years ago. No strike for me. The union I found just isn't representative of my views and they tend to focus on issues of lesser importance. Their Covid response has just strengthened my view. If left to the union I would still be teaching remotely for "safety" . 

I have no doubt that some colleagues in the same boat will use strike days as unofficial holidays and still claim full pay. 

The Union isn't supposed to represent your views; they represent the views of the membership as a whole. If you think that your branch focuses on less important issues, then you should get more involved and try to change that.

After all, if it was left to the university management you'd probably have been teaching face to face throughout with no safety measures whatsoever, and you'd certainly have no time for perusing PnB!

36 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

The Union isn't supposed to represent your views; they represent the views of the membership as a whole. If you think that your branch focuses on less important issues, then you should get more involved and try to change that.

He's not got time for that! He's doing the work of two men.chump.jpg

1 hour ago, EvilScotsman said:

After all, if it was left to the university management you'd probably have been teaching face to face throughout with no safety measures whatsoever, and you'd certainly have no time for perusing PnB!

I get what you're saying. But my impression of the branch is that it is run by the same small number of people who are grinding their own axes. 

When I was in the civil service I was with prospect and they were quite good. The admin staff though were with PCS, and they would strike at the drop of a hat. 

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

So, also good?

Maybe the admin staff thought they were getting their money's worth. They seemed to strike very regularly and get no benefit from what I could see. I don't remember one of these strikes resulting in any pay rise that would compensate for the lost days, let alone any more.

I went on strike once when in the civil service over pension contributions. The coalition government decided to up our contributions by 1% for no reason. We got no benefit, basically a 1% tax rise on civil servants.