Work colleagues

21 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not sure why you think it's ended.

I think you've just seen the end of the beginning.

Sending an "arse kicking" email to an employee rather than face-to-face and cc-ing in a whole raft of other employees is a pretty stupid "ego-fuelled" thing for a Head of Department to do.

Is this Head of Department seriously expecting this guy to just fall in line now?

I wouldn't be surprised if this triggered a formal complaint by the Prof.
The Head of Department could now face disciplinary action and if I was the Prof I'd be kickstarting that process first thing in the morning.

Every time you post an update, my jaw hits the ground with ever increasing strength.

From top to bottom you appear to be working in one of the most incompetent work environments I've heard of, outside Westminster.

All of this could so easily have been avoided if academics had a shred of inter-personal skill about them.

It's fabulous entertainment. Maybe not for you though. 🤣

Aye, should've used BCC.

9 hours ago, philpy said:

Backstabbers are well and truly alive and kicking. I've been off since Wednesday morning with a chest infection, and I've Just had a phone call from my boss telling me that the 2 other guys in the yard are not happy because one of them will have to cover my 4 hours on Saturday and have also said that I didn't want to work it as I told them I have something on. Which Is a load of bollocks. If it was the other way around I'd cover for an illness with no issues and not be a wee snivelling fanny about it.

No more breakfast rolls for those ungrateful fuckers.

11 hours ago, philpy said:

Backstabbers are well and truly alive and kicking. I've been off since Wednesday morning with a chest infection, and I've Just had a phone call from my boss telling me that the 2 other guys in the yard are not happy because one of them will have to cover my 4 hours on Saturday and have also said that I didn't want to work it as I told them I have something on. Which Is a load of bollocks. If it was the other way around I'd cover for an illness with no issues and not be a wee snivelling fanny about it.

There's always a chance that your boss is playing the 3 of you like the Prof.

I really can’t understand what all the fuss is about the people that have been the subject of this thread recently. Unless they are paying for the food on your table, why even waste your time on them? If the Prof feels that he has done his bit in life and now just wants things to wind down, big deal! Philipy, mate, think it’s time to move elsewhere. Your "workmates" have shown their hands and there does not really seem to be any way back. Sure, it would be great to "tear them a new one" but where does that leave you afterwards?

At the end of the day, there is a big bit of Kunt in all of us.

8 hours ago, supermik said:

I really can’t understand what all the fuss is about the people that have been the subject of this thread recently. Unless they are paying for the food on your table, why even waste your time on them? If the Prof feels that he has done his bit in life and now just wants things to wind down, big deal! Philipy, mate, think it’s time to move elsewhere. Your "workmates" have shown their hands and there does not really seem to be any way back. Sure, it would be great to "tear them a new one" but where does that leave you afterwards?

Because in the scenario painted by scottsdad he would have to pick up the work that the prof is refusing. Fairly straightforward why you wouldn’t be keen to just let it go.

18 hours ago, supermik said:

Probably best to imagine that you're scottsdad, and the Prof has been employed to look after your cheese, but has instead scarfed down the whole lot and refuses to replace it.

You'd be a bit miffed, would you not?

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Probably best to imagine that you're scottsdad, and the Prof has been employed to look after your cheese, but has instead scarfed down the whole lot and refuses to replace it.

I feel there is a career in writing management self help books ahead of you.

"Which cnut scarfed my cheese: managing the modern workplace" by BFTD, MBA

MBA- Miserable b*****d, Alloa...

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

Oh really.  Why is it best?  Are you saying the cheese analogy is superior to any other analogy?

Not convinced.

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Or he could tell the department he won't do it and let them sort it out.

Just like the Prof has done.

People like the Prof get away with things like this because there's always some sop who'll pick up the slack on their behalf.

Oh they'll whine about it. But they lack the stones to actually stand up for themselves and that's all that matters.

Pretty much what the Prof tried here. Except we are so short staffed as a teaching team (and he was brought in to relieve the pressure on us) that we had no choice but to raise a fuss about it. 

Now he has this course plus the shitty admin jobs I gave him. Very much expecting future battles. 

Tough to find an analogy but I will try. Imagine you run a decorating company and you hire a new painter and decorator as you are so overworked. The guy starts and says that he cannot do any painting as he only wants to wallpaper. Not only that but he will only wallpaper using paper and paste he has used in the past, not the stuff your company uses. 

Tough to find an analogy but I will try. Imagine you run a decorating company and you hire a new painter and decorator as you are so overworked. The guy starts and says that he cannot do any painting as he only wants to wallpaper. Not only that but he will only wallpaper using paper and paste he has used in the past, not the stuff your company uses. 

Holy crap, has Philpy applied for a job with Shandz ???

I think that could pretty much be anyone who works in admin.

Anybody with a scintilla of self-respect, at least. The most awkward/unpleasant jobs should always be meted out to the most awkward/unpleasant members of staff.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I think that could pretty much be anyone who works in admin.

Anybody with a scintilla of self-respect, at least. The most awkward/unpleasant jobs should always be meted out to the most awkward/unpleasant members of staff.

Is that why Scottsdad was left to deal with the Prof?

It's all kickin off in my work. The set up, before I started earlier this year, was a team of between 6 and 9 under one manager. But the team kept losing folk because the manager has been there for years and has no intention of moving up. Very happy and settled. So the rest of the team can't really go above them and end up leaving for other organisations. So the upper management decided to make two of the roles "supervisor" roles. It's, honestly, the exact same job but includes "mentoring". So it will be one manager, two supervisors, and five jobbers but the supervisors get an extra few bob. Anyway there are four folk who have been here for ages who all applied for these supervisor roles and, obviously, only two got it. The two that never got it have been very vocally unhappy about this for a while. Last night the two folk who are starting the supervisor roles were asked what they thought about a potential bit of extra work for the team. Management have told us today "here's some extra work we want you to do from next week. We discussed it with the supervisors last night" and now it is kicking off. The two who got the KB are raging that the new supervisors have gave us extra work and saying they can no longer trust them and asking how they are getting paid more while we are the ones getting more work and all sorts of stuff. It's a great laugh. A very happy and unified team has been totally split apart because two of them get an extra £50 a month.