Work colleagues

24 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

He will miss the first three days of semester, and the last week. 

I see endless problems with this guy - my colleagues who had dealt with him before were absolutely right. I mean - how can he expect to do no teaching when he is on a Teaching & Scholarship contract (ie no research, just teaching and developing the programmes we teach)?

trump_angrily_breathing.gif

Get him to f**k. He sounds like the Carlos Kaiser of academia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Kaiser_(footballer)

Edited by speckled tangerine
Linky.

16 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

You are being far too diplomatic/friendly. Far every day he misses teaching you give him two more. 

What's his wages? How much money is he taking for refusing to do his work?

He is a Prof, so high five figures to low six figures. 

I may be being too diplomatic - it is my style. When push comes to shove he doesn't have a leg to stand on and I do. He can complain all he likes but in the end he will buckle under. 

18 minutes ago, speckled tangerine said:

Get him to f**k. He sounds like the Carlos Kaiser of academia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Kaiser_(footballer)

Tonight's viewing sorted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaiser-Greatest-Footballer-Never-Football/dp/B091DBGYV4

I have no idea about how academia works in terms of the advertisement and short listing etc but surely some responsibility must lie with whoever gave him the job? If his reputation was as well known as it would appear its a bit of a surprise his interview score wasn't scored a measly 0.5 behind the next best candidate. 

I may be being too diplomatic - it is my style. When push comes to shove he doesn't have a leg to stand on and I do. He can complain all he likes but in the end he will buckle under. 
In Dentistry ?

14 hours ago, superbigal said:
15 hours ago, scottsdad said:

In Dentistry ?

Sadly not - though getting him to cooperate is like pulling teeth 

200.gif

16 hours ago, scottsdad said:

He will miss the first three days of semester, and the last week. 

I see endless problems with this guy - my colleagues who had dealt with him before were absolutely right. I mean - how can he expect to do no teaching when he is on a Teaching & Scholarship contract (ie no research, just teaching and developing the programmes we teach)?

trump_angrily_breathing.gif

Sounds like a great job, I quite like doing bugger maybe I should have become a professor. 

I think I'd actually enjoy the teaching part as people would at least need to pretend to listen to me. 

200.gif

The Head of Institute is in "please the new boy" mode. He still has the course but will only teach it four times out of twelve all semester. The other times will be done by a tutor and guest lecturers. 

He was brought in as we are really understaffed. We need bodies to deliver courses. If this is what we're getting, what was the point? 

19 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I know numerous arseholes like him. I work with many of them. They enter workplaces with an idea of what they want to do in their job and slowly burrow out this wee hole for themselves in which they can only be handed a select number of things to do at any given time, despite knowing their job requires them to do lots of other things. This guy is hoping if he throws enough barriers up about teaching someone else will just feel guilty and cover it for him. If that doesn't happen, he'll leave and find another job that lets him burrow out another wee hole. 

I've absolutely nailed that tbqhwy. 

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

200.gif

The Head of Institute is in "please the new boy" mode. He still has the course but will only teach it four times out of twelve all semester. The other times will be done by a tutor and guest lecturers. 

He was brought in as we are really understaffed. We need bodies to deliver courses. If this is what we're getting, what was the point? 

How much you paying for guest lecturer spots?

I’ll dae it. 

28 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I've absolutely nailed that tbqhwy. 

Yes, and the HoI fell for it and caved on most points. 

One barrier he tried was "The course content isn't my area of expertise" (it actually is as a book he wrote is a core text). "If I were to lead it I'd have to change to include x, y and z". I think he was expecting resistance. I just said "That sounds great! Just the kind of refresh the course needs" SO now he is working up a new document for the course team. 

Just now, scottsdad said:

Yes, and the HoI fell for it and caved on most points. 

One barrier he tried was "The course content isn't my area of expertise" (it actually is as a book he wrote is a core text). "If I were to lead it I'd have to change to include x, y and z". I think he was expecting resistance. I just said "That sounds great! Just the kind of refresh the course needs" SO now he is working up a new document for the course team. 

Your HoI obviously thinks this guy is good and wants to keep him sweet. That's seems to be the way to play him though, call his bluff on this shite. 

This sounds like one of the History professors at Strathclyde Uni circa 2000 who would only turn up for about half his lectures or when the news cameras were in and they needed a talking head. When he did turn up the first 20 minutes would be invariable anecdotes about himself. Despite his utter uselessness as a teacher he is absolutely hero worshipped by some strange folk like our resident Morton VL.