Work colleagues

On 23/09/2021 at 11:19, DiegoDiego said:

Though I enjoy interviews I absolutely despise filling in application forms. Fewer and fewer companies just let you hand in a CV and covering letter anymore. The job I currently have required a thirteen page application form.

I graduated uni in 2019 and done an application to PWC, the second stage involved downloading an app to my phone and playing 11 separate mini games to judge my eligibility for the role which took well over an hour. As soon as I’d completed them all and closed the app. I received an email to say I’d been unsuccessful. 

Job I got after graduating and still do now. Was just a simple CV and cover letter I think, phone interview then face to face interview. Offered the job a few days later. 

On 23/09/2021 at 10:45, Archie McSquackle said:
On 22/09/2021 at 00:57, red23 said:
Got an ex colleague who applies for various jobs, gets the interview (one even flew him down to Leicester, hotels food etc for 2 days), he then gets made the offer then rejects them as he never had any intention of taking the job.
He sees it as getting his name out there and just politely declines.....its utter madness?!?!?!?! i explained to him you are just wasting peoples time and that those companies will NEVER want to touch him with a bargepole ever again, but he thinks nothing of it.

Does the company he works for not catch on to him going to a lot of interviews? They probably can't do anything about it if he's taking annual leave but it surely doesn't help his future prospects.

Well that's part of what's so baffling, he does it quietly and if he fancies going a bit further for face to face interviews he uses some of his holidays - personally i can think of a better use of my holidays. He does it about 4 times a year. Very weird bloke. Told him it's just wasting peoples time and he shrugged his shoulders.

Edited by red23

2 minutes ago, red23 said:

Well that's part of that's so baffling, he does it quietly and if he fancies going a bit further for face to face interviews he uses some of his holidays - personally i can think of a better use of my holidays. He does it about 4 times a year. Very weird bloke.

Maybe insecure about his worth and likes the reassurance that other employers would want him?

Still very odd behaviour, but I suppose there are people who go looking for validation of their attractiveness with folk they've no interest in actually shagging, so perhaps it's the same with employment.

On 22/09/2021 at 13:56, scottsdad said:

Some folk must be the absolute dogs bollocks in interviews.

We had a colleague who was worse than useless. We used to joke that he was a minus one FTE as we all had to help out to cover his dreadful work. To give an example, in class a student would ask a question. He would say "give me a minute to find out" and would google the answer in front of the whole class, then read out whatever he found. He did hardly any research either. 

The uni realised this and started negotiating an exit package with him. He took a nice redundancy package, and turned up a month later at Strathclyde doing the same job. As far as I know he is still there. 

You say he did hardly any research but immediately before it give an example of him doing research in front of his class? Guy sounds like a saint who was bullied out of his job. Probably overheard you guys all saying how useless he was and phoned it in because he was devastated, spent the redundancy on a nice holiday to Marmaris with the mrs and on to Strathclyde where he’s valued and the students call him ‘doc’ and high five him in the corridors. He feels at peace now. He won, he won Scottsdad. 

10 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You say he did hardly any research but immediately before it give an example of him doing research in front of his class? Guy sounds like a saint who was bullied out of his job. Probably overheard you guys all saying how useless he was and phoned it in because he was devastated, spent the redundancy on a nice holiday to Marmaris with the mrs and on to Strathclyde where he’s valued and the students call him ‘doc’ and high five him in the corridors. He feels at peace now. He won, he won Scottsdad. 

He gives us hope. No matter how bad we are, someone will take us. He is an inspiration. 

On 23/09/2021 at 19:25, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

I don't particularly like interviews and dislike being the interviewer even more but had one as the interviewed the other day and it went well, just waiting to hear back but possibly I'm a bit too senior for the role but you never know.

Had an interview many years ago and they made me do some sort of math paper, when asked how I got on I replied with, if you'd asked me when I was doing my standard grades it would have been 100% but 5 years have passed so its not particularly impressive. No job from them.

Some sort of what paper?

12 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Well, despite Meldrew’s advice, I, surprisingly, haven’t murdered any of the females I work with despite their accents *

* none of them have a whiny murder-inducing accent

Better watch out or the new forum polis officer @Mr. Alli (aka DomDom mk II) will be over hands flapping in a tizz, to scold you for slagging Meldrew off on two different threads. He's very protective of him.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Better watch out or the new forum polis officer @Mr. Alli (aka DomDom mk II) will be over hands flapping in a tizz, to scold you for slagging Meldrew off on two different threads. He's very protective of him.

Good to see you keeping notes on who is following who about it from thread to thread. It'll give me and @Bert Raccoon the Sunday off for a few pints.

You're a no bad lad, for a psycho. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Good to see you keeping notes on who is following who about it from thread to thread. It'll give me and @Bert Raccoon the Sunday off for a few pints.

You're a no bad lad, for a psycho. 

No need for notes as it's only you. However, your choices to go out to bat for Meldrew and Stormzy of all people suggest that the issues lie with yourself DomDom Jnr. 

2 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

No need for notes as it's only you. However, your choices to go out to bat for Meldrew and Stormzy of all people suggest that the issues lie with yourself DomDom Jnr. 

It could be Fred West you were following about. I'm just a friend for those who feel afraid to speak out or are being openly stalked. I've reported your behaviour, hopefully the moderating team are lenient at first but keep a particularly close eye on your future harassment. 

29 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It could be Fred West you were following about. I'm just a friend for those who feel afraid to speak out or are being openly stalked. I've reported your behaviour, hopefully the moderating team are lenient at first but keep a particularly close eye on your future harassment. 

DomDom V2.0 confirmed.

Lee Wallace etc etc

• 4 weeks later...

A big name professor joined our team a couple of weeks ago. I was assigned as his "induction buddy". A few folk in the team were unhappy at his appointment as they had run-ins with him in the past. But for me, I thought, I'll take him as I find him. 

I had a Teams meeting earlier today with him, with my wife in the room. When the call ended my wife gave a very audible "What a fucking dickhead". 

Part of my job is to allocate teaching to him. As he is new he gets just one course to teach in the spring. I told him on Friday what the course is. He then complained to the Head of Institute and the Head of School. Then came back to me having been told that, yes, teaching means teaching. 

He didn't want to teach for a few reasons. First, he is still teaching two courses at his old university and that is taking a big chunk of his time (they are paying him for it). Second, he says he cannot be tied down to teaching on a given day of the week. In essence then he can never teach. 

He is kicking off in a big way about one single course. Next year I get to give him three. I see headaches coming in the future. 

He called me this morning. Apparently he can't teach at the beginning of next semester as he is away to his timeshare in Greece. Also, he has a second timeshare he is booked to go to at the end of semester. So clearly, very sorry, but just can't teach next semester. 

23019d52-1fe4-4e3b-85a1-5fb19ba927e0_tex

He didn't like my response and is off to talk to the Head of School. Our HoS is a right b*****d, and will not take any of this shit from him. Awaiting a call back from him saying that actually, he can do the teaching - you know, like he agreed he would when he took the job.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

He called me this morning. Apparently he can't teach at the beginning of next semester as he is away to his timeshare in Greece. Also, he has a second timeshare he is booked to go to at the end of semester. So clearly, very sorry, but just can't teach next semester. 

23019d52-1fe4-4e3b-85a1-5fb19ba927e0_tex

He didn't like my response and is off to talk to the Head of School. Our HoS is a right b*****d, and will not take any of this shit from him. Awaiting a call back from him saying that actually, he can do the teaching - you know, like he agreed he would when he took the job.

How long is he going away for meaning he can't teach? 

Sounds like your wife is on the money about him IMO. 

I know numerous arseholes like him. I work with many of them. They enter workplaces with an idea of what they want to do in their job and slowly burrow out this wee hole for themselves in which they can only be handed a select number of things to do at any given time, despite knowing their job requires them to do lots of other things. This guy is hoping if he throws enough barriers up about teaching someone else will just feel guilty and cover it for him. If that doesn't happen, he'll leave and find another job that lets him burrow out another wee hole. 

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

How long is he going away for meaning he can't teach? 

Sounds like your wife is on the money about him IMO. 

He will miss the first three days of semester, and the last week. 

I see endless problems with this guy - my colleagues who had dealt with him before were absolutely right. I mean - how can he expect to do no teaching when he is on a Teaching & Scholarship contract (ie no research, just teaching and developing the programmes we teach)?

trump_angrily_breathing.gif