Work colleagues

After 17 joyous months of working from home we are all being told to return to the Office on Monday.

I suppose all good thing must come to an end but having to interact with some of the folk I work with fills me with dread.

When Mrs Raff asked why this was I expalined that if I were ever to leave the Company I would miss some of the spreadsheets I had created more than some of the people.

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

After 17 joyous months of working from home we are all being told to return to the Office on Monday.

I suppose all good thing must come to an end but having to interact with some of the folk I work with fills me with dread.

When Mrs Raff asked why this was I expalined that if I were ever to leave the Company I would miss some of the spreadsheets I had created more than some of the people.

There's paper clips I miss more than the people. Especially the one straightened out to an S shape for cleaning my ears.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

A colleague of mine contacted me and a few others with some last-minute paperwork he needs help with. 

I'd happily help if he'd got my name right. Not even a little typo but a whole other name. So he can wait. 

So ignore it and when he chases it up tell him you binned it as it was obviously sent to you in error.

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

A colleague of mine contacted me and a few others with some last-minute paperwork he needs help with. 

I'd happily help if he'd got my name right. Not even a little typo but a whole other name. So he can wait. 

This happens to me a lot. My surname can also be a first name so get called by my surname a lot

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

This happens to me a lot. My surname can also be a first name so get called by my surname a lot

There was a guy worked for my company, but based down in the south of England, whose name was the reverse of mine - his last name was Gordon and his forename was my surname. I used to regularly get his e-mails inviting him to meetings. I used to wonder what would have happened if I had turned up but I doubt my boss would have approved the travel expenses.

12 hours ago, TheScarf said:

My surname would rarely be a first name and I still get emails with my surname. 

First name is unfortunately one of those with multiple variations. Get many emails that go unanswered by myself for being incorrect. I'm a petty c**t tbh. 

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

My surname would rarely be a first name and I still get emails with my surname. 

First name is unfortunately one of those with multiple variations. Get many emails that go unanswered by myself for being incorrect. I'm a petty c**t tbh. 

I get this a lot, too. I think it is because our email system shows senders in the form of Surname, First Name and some people don't quite realise. That, and we have a lot of Asian colleagues who go by what we would call the surname. So I don't mind that so much. 

On the variations, I used to work with a girl called Lyn. She used to go bonkers when people would email her calling her Lynn, Lynne, Lin and so on. Lindsay's must have the same issue.

16 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Scotland's bad for that. We had a new start coming in a while back that had a completely interchangeable name that I'd seen rendered in both orders (on the same document!), and I ended up having to get in contact with their boss-to-be to find out who I was dealing with: a guy called Graham Lynn or a woman called Lynn Graham.

"Oh. I dunno - it wasny me that did the interviews..."

Along the same lines, two guys I know who hang around with each other are called Campbell Stewart and Stewart Campbell.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I get this a lot, too. I think it is because our email system shows senders in the form of Surname, First Name and some people don't quite realise. That, and we have a lot of Asian colleagues who go by what we would call the surname. So I don't mind that so much. 

On the variations, I used to work with a girl called Lyn. She used to go bonkers when people would email her calling her Lynn, Lynne, Lin and so on. Lindsay's must have the same issue.

I quite enjoy when other people get irate about it, I also like when people have ridiculous names, you read the email signature and immediately have to share it with a colleague so you can both laugh at it. 

Got an email from a guy called, Michael Michael Michael and I had a voice conference with him in attendance later on. I joked he should maybe update his signature to Michael (cubed) he responded with "nice one mate, never heard that one" fair response looking back. 

A few of our Asian colleagues choose to adopt Western names to be called by. I used to work with a chap who called himself George as people kept pronouncing his actual name wrong. There was another whose surname was Choo, and he went by Jimmy (not kidding). 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

A few of our Asian colleagues choose to adopt Western names to be called by. I used to work with a chap who called himself George as people kept pronouncing his actual name wrong. There was another whose surname was Choo, and he went by Jimmy (not kidding). 

That’s pretty normal tbh - I used to work with a large number of Chinese students, who would also adopt western names, the best of which still to date has to be Hannah Montana.