Work colleagues

The lack of empathy and humanity is just atrocious. I don't get how people can be such scum, especially since they aren't in any way affected by it. To most of them it's all about money, and if they perceive that the business might not make as much profit, despite them not being affected, there are tears and dickhead reactions. Genuinely, f**k capitalism so much. 

These people genuinely deserve an absolute hiding.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The lack of empathy and humanity is just atrocious. I don't get how people can be such scum, especially since they aren't in any way affected by it. To most of them it's all about money, and if they perceive that the business might not make as much profit, despite them not being affected, there are tears and dickhead reactions. Genuinely, f**k capitalism so much. 

These people genuinely deserve an absolute hiding.

To be clear before the rest of the post, I agree with the above in the vast majority of cases. Especially in bigger companies where they can clearly afford to take a hit on profit to support someone.

There are plenty of scenarios though where that’s not possible, particularly in smaller (e.g family run) businesses, and I do have sympathy for them. In certain scenarios the manager/owner would clearly be directly affected, and could in fact lead to the rest of the staff being directly affected as well with redundancies if the business is no longer profitable, and if they have to hire someone else to do the job if it’s a long term absence. It’s a fairly niche area though, and as I say I think the majority of employers who don’t support people in these scenarios could afford to do so, but are choosing not to out of greed. 

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

If that's the same company I worked for, my daughter was blue lighted out of nursery after a fit. As I grabbed my keys(10mins before end shift) the manager shouted up the office "I'm referring you to HR because of absence".

I'd been off as my daughter had had several serious allergic/apahalxis issues. I was deducted salary if I missed a day and my whatever formula was rubbish.

Four week line and resignation followed.

Again, next time I'd went in there I'd have thrown him over his desk. 

We had a case recently where some guy requested a career break to look after his dying father and the manager responsible for giving approval declined because his recent attendance wasn't sufficiently good... Because he was looking after his dying father. Just a horrid attitude and short-sighted as well as the guy clearly is going to piss off when he gets the chance and more power to him.

14 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Don't surreptitiously record it on your phone though whatever you do. Ask politely at the start if they mind you recording it. If they've nothing to hide they wont care. 

And you'll be told not to. Take someone with you and take notes.

To be clear before the rest of the post, I agree with the above in the vast majority of cases. Especially in bigger companies where they can clearly afford to take a hit on profit to support someone.
There are plenty of scenarios though where that’s not possible, particularly in smaller (e.g family run) businesses, and I do have sympathy for them. In certain scenarios the manager/owner would clearly be directly affected, and could in fact lead to the rest of the staff being directly affected as well with redundancies if the business is no longer profitable, and if they have to hire someone else to do the job if it’s a long term absence. It’s a fairly niche area though, and as I say I think the majority of employers who don’t support people in these scenarios could afford to do so, but are choosing not to out of greed. 
In many cases, such as the last two conpanies I have worked for, both of which are at the very top of their game worldwide, and would pretty mucb be considered two of the biggest companies in existence, I would go as far as to disagree that its to do with greed and instead apply the Mixu theory about billionaore tax dodging.

Its ideological. The money involved is way below irrelevance. So why argue with an employee that, for example, pat leave doesnt start till the wean is born and he should take a days holiday to cover the day in between getting told he needs to fly home ASAP or he will miss the birth of his child, and the actual birth.....

It because they want to give nothing, and be seen to be giving nothing. Its their career advancement at the cost of, well whatever shite they are shovelling at their employees for them to swallow that day.

Its all about getting it right up you in the case of big companies. f**k all to do with the pounds and pence.

It works both ways and being lenient sets precedents. Employees can and do absolutely rip the piss when given a chance and that ruins things for the rest. I don't think either set is more moral, one just has more power than the other.

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Hopefully I’m anonymous on here and no one from my work reads this forum, as I’ve got another doozy from the boy I spoke about a few pages back. 

I think you'll be fine, from the sound of it the boy doesn't know how to read

Karma's a bitch sometimes. We had one dragon who actually told somebody on the way out the door because their father had died suddenly that they better be in the next day because there was a return due.

Fast forward maybe a year and some junkie mugged her at lunchtime. Came in with a black eye looking for sympathy - people were literally pointing at her and laughing.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

It works both ways and being lenient sets precedents. Employees can and do absolutely rip the piss when given a chance and that ruins things for the rest. I don't think either set is more moral, one just has more power than the other.

Nah, that's just lazy 'both sides!' nonsense. The occasional piss taker doesn't justify dickhead policy lacking in empathy and it doesn't justify dickhead managers lacking in empathy.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Karma's a bitch sometimes. We had one dragon who actually told somebody on the way out the door because their father had died suddenly that they better be in the next day because there was a return due.

Fast forward maybe a year and some junkie mugged her at lunchtime. Came in with a black eye looking for sympathy - people were literally pointing at her and laughing.

Sounds like a c**t, but not sure I'd be pointing and laughing at someone getting physically assaulted and robbed. 

Easy for me to say now but I'd have asked him to put it in writing then gone public with it.
I think it’s important to remember to take someone in with you when you have a meeting with HR etc, just to take notes and remember the majority of the meeting that’ll you’ll likely not recall due to being upset/angry 
Both excellent suggestions which help to keep the management honest.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Sounds like a c**t, but not sure I'd be pointing and laughing at someone getting physically assaulted and robbed. 

Ordinarily I'd agree with you 100%, but this one was a serious piece of work that seemed to derive actual pleasure from belittling and upsetting people...it was more or less a weekly occurrence to see somebody coming from the direction of her section in floods of tears, so you could hardly blame the folk that had to work for her for being somewhat less than concerned when something happened to her.

She eventually was given the option of resigning or being fired a couple of years afterwards when she had at least four separate harassment cases I knew of on the go against her simultaneously and the weight of evidence was such that there was no way she was getting out of it.

Had an unexpected annual review this week, which seemed mainly to revolve around how I wasn't getting enough work done due to covering for other people, and that the board had noticed this, so I was strictly forbidden to be used as cover for other people anymore. It's not the first time this has come up, and I'm told there were harsh words exchanged the last time, but nothing changed. So, great, I don't have to cover for other people anymore, and can get on with my own stuff. Quality.

Less than 24 hours later, I'm told to cover for someone next week, and my assistant is being taken away to work elsewhere too. This is some sort of test, it must be, but I'm not sure what the correct answer is.

As posted on the COVID thread, I think I may have a contender for “Biggest c**t of a Colleague”

26 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Was due to have my 1st jag on Sunday. Now self isolating due to being a close contact.

I’m not suggesting the mad 55yo antivaxxer in the office has fucked it for the rest of us, but he does live in Pollokshields and the 4 other people in the meeting with him on Monday also have to isolate...

Guest bernardblack

The amount of time wasting you see in work is crazy, well in my work anyway.

I was fortunate enough to get my vaccine on Tuesday at 2pm....so just said I’d take a late lunch and go get it then.

Just saw that someone has their vaccine on Friday, great news, but have booked out their calendar 3-5pm today as “out of office” to go get it.

Maybe not the best example!

Edited by bernardblack

6 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

I was fortunate enough to get my vaccine on Tuesday at 2pm....so just said I’d take a late lunch and go get it then.

Just saw that someone has their vaccine on Friday, great news, but have booked out their calendar 3-5pm today as “out of office” to go get it.

That isn't time wasting.  That is doing it right.  Reasonable time off for a valid medical appointment and likely In the pub early doors on a Friday afternoon.

38 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Obviously this is annoying if there's work to be done and they're using it to avoid doing it, but if it's just general time wasting and there's not any pressing work to be done then let them rip the pish. The working day/week is too long, procrastination and skiving are necessary components of your average job. 

I'm just about to log on after my vaccine this morning, having also marked myself as Out of Office for two hours today.

Pretty reasonable given I've had a 35 minute drive each way, it took me 20 minutes to get processed at the centre, and they told me not to drive for 10 minutes after. Add in leaving yourself a margin of comfort to get there and get parked and such like, and get to and from your car, then two hours goes by in a blink.

If this is construed as being "slacking" by some pair of eyes lingering over my diary and judging it by the fact their vaccination centre is at the end of their road, then get it right up them. A bizarre thing really to assume that because something took you 10 minutes then everyone else should do it in 10 minutes.

That kind of snipey judgemental nonsense is what I really haven't missed when WFH.

It's absolutely prudent to take your time over these things. Some people feel pretty ill after their jag, so give yourself time to make sure you're good to restart your day.

I'll absolutely be encouraging my team to take the same break when their jag comes.