Work colleagues

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Think you’ve been stung by the same thing I was this week on me. Bear with me is surprisingly the correct phrase.

No, I knew the spelling, but somebody was complaining about the phrase itself.

I was put on a security watch list today by my company for failing to compete a security training module after 3 reminders. The email started off with “it’s been 4 weeks. “ 

Felt like replying with a gif from the wee woman from the titanic. It’s been 72 yeeeeeaaars. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I was put on a security watch list today by my company for failing to compete a security training module after 3 reminders. The email started off with “it’s been 4 weeks. “ 

Felt like replying with a gif from the wee woman from the titanic. It’s been 72 yeeeeeaaars. 

There are a few managers in my place who inexplicably think it takes ages to send a bunch of emails with attachments.

It takes about 30 seconds to send one, especially if you're sending the same text (but different recipient and attachment).

Today a manager had to cancel a 30 meeting* with me because they had to send out 4 emails with attachments. 

Incidentally, I haven't actually voiced my thoughts on the matter, meaning I often get blocked out time far in excess of what is needed to send out a bunch of emails.

*One of those daft waste of time ones about career goals and other irrelevant nonsense, although to be fair this manager is pretty sound and understanding and knows it's a box ticking exercise

37 minutes ago, Pato said:

That's my work confirmed permanent hybrid working after covid, closing offices and whatnot. Stellar stuff.

My work are about to implement the same. We had an employee engagement type thing about it today, where senior management presumably try to kid staff on that their opinion matters and the decision hasn't already been made 😂

We've basically got about 5 "workstyles" that everyone will have to fit into, ranging from fully office based, to almost entirely working from home. If I'm punted into fully WFH I'm going to have to go through a completely bullshit appeal process as there is no fucking way our flat is suitable for me to WFH permanently. Even if you're allowed some office based work, it won't likely be with your own team, only in "bookable spaces". Looking forward to trying to discuss a client's difficulties with bowel incontinence for an appeal submission when in amongst a load of arseholes from HR or something. 

Obviously senior management are loving this idea because they can save money and largely perform functions which can be done entirely from the nice study they've got at home. I'm also not keen on a situation where the lines between home and work become totally blurred to the extent that you are basically living in your workplace. f**k that. 

I’ve decided to split my time. I’ve enjoyed not being in the office, but I need to get out and about at the same time.

The main difference is that I’ll more than likely be working out of my dads when this all calms down as I’ll need to help with looking after his puppy when he’s out at work.

I've been given free reign over the choice and I think I'll go for 2 days in the office and 3 days at home. Seems like the best mix for getting out of the house and meeting colleagues but also not forcing it one way or the other.
Only x factor is having 2 new people starting in the near future that I'll be managing, my boss has "encouraged" me to spend more time in the office with them until we know if they're shite or not but that will mean mandating that they attend on the same days as me, not sure I can be arsed with that.

13 hours ago, Pato said:

That's my work confirmed permanent hybrid working after covid, closing offices and whatnot. Stellar stuff.

Same - only difference is our lot are calling it "blended!" The norm will be some days in and some days at home - if you want to go all-in and either work in the office full time or work from home completely there's a couple of hurdles to jump in terms of making a case for management approval though...I think the prevailing view is that being full-on desperate to do either one or the other might be indicative of a problem.

I'd mentioned in passing to my boss maybe a month back that my preference would be a 2 days office/3 days home split...I'd thought it had only been us shooting the shit, but it turns out it was a bit more formal than that and that's what I'm now down for...best of both worlds really.

My work are intending to go to a blended (in the office at least 50% of the week) approach from August after the school holidays.

Probably suits me fine tbh, although my job role might necessitate being in the office a bit more than that in due course.

Only started this job a few weeks ago and I've found it a bit more difficult as a new start wfh rather than working with colleagues in the office.

Found it strange that the supervisor was phoning my (personal) mobile rather than calling through Teams. Eventually questioned this and she apparently doesn't have a speaker on her laptop or a headset. Apparently she can't use Excel properly either...

I’ve actually started to kind of miss the folk in my office.
I give that until 9:02 the first day back 

I’ve really not missed anything at all about working in the office tbh. Maybe going for lunch with a couple of colleagues I would class as friends on a Friday, but that’s really it.

There is a meeting in our place today to discuss what people would favour, I’ve said I would be happy WFH permanently, maybe going in one day each week to meet as a team, but other than that I’d prefer to stay at home.

Nothing to do with COVID or fear, I just much prefer WFH on days like today where I can finish at 4, walk out the back garden and sit in the sun. Same goes for winter days, no more travelling in the pitch black, sitting all day in the office when it’s light and travelling home when it’s dark. Those days are gone for me as far as I’m concerned.

17 hours ago, Pato said:

Our dial-in today said it would be a mix but other than that we haven't a clue as I don't think anyone seems to be set on anything. They were keen to stress the pitfalls of WFH which doesn't bode well even if it's a four-day week I wouldn't mind. Still gonna push for 3/2 tho.

17 hours ago, Pato said:

After it was announced that we'd be working at home till at least June, there was a lot of chat and suggestions that the organisation should open a whole load of smaller offices across the Central Belt for the benefit of those who prefer office life. It seems to have escaped their notice that said offices did exist and have been closing over the last 5 years as leases expired.