Work colleagues

8 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I politely told someone to f**k off for using one of these group chats, which comes to our personal phones, to ask if anyone could help with a piece of work they were producing off their own back on a Saturday morning. Notifications straight off 

Thankfully I had the notifications off on one Saturday night/Sunday morning when some of them decided to have a quiz. 200+ messages sitting there when I picked up my phone on the Sunday afternoon

Folk who schedule meetings between 12 and 2 are almost exclusively middle management who don't actually have a designated job or role within the company.  Literally all they do is attend meetings.  I've seen it myself, in my last job.  My manager himself was just sat on the phone all day.  His calendar was wild.  Fuck having that as a career.

1 hour ago, ArabGaz said:

I fill my Outlook calendar with made up appointments so when colleagues check the scheduling assistant it will appear as if I am busy.

I fill mine with appointments for tasks I’m going to do that don’t require any interaction, just so that people don’t assume you’re free. So the calendar is always fairly full.

I also put in personal ones too tbf so that nobody attempts to book in a meeting then. Someone looking at my calendar will see an appointment from 4-5.30pm in a few weeks time. I’m going for a fitting for golf clubs.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I have done this in the past but it's not without its dangers. I attended a massive meeting where I didn't expect to interact with. I was playing a cracking game of Civilization when I heard the words "Do YOU think it's a good idea, Cardinal Richelieu?" ... normally you could just ask them to repeat it because they cut out slightly, but it was absolutely clear I was being asked for my summary of the entire meeting and I couldn't even begin to bluff my way out of it. My only course of action was to wait 30 seconds then disconnect from the meeting and Teams, then offer up some apology at a later date when my internet came back online. 

Well at least now we know why the French Catholic Bourbons ended up at war with the Catholic Habsburgs instead of all the protestant heretics surrounding them in the Thirty Years War.

I just decline the invitations most of the time. I'm comparatively old, cantankerous and negative about everything, without exception. I only get asked as part of the group, they don't really want me there any more than I do. No-one questions it. If it's important I'll see a published outcome.

It's a win-win situation.

This is going to sound sexist but bear with it.
If one of only 2 male teachers at the school (total staff is about 12), the other is part time music.
Somehow, because of this and because I have an engineering degree. I was tasked with setting up the thermostat at the start of the year (new building). Since then, at least 2 or 3 times a week one of the other teachers will come in in the morning and ask/complain “is it hot/cold in here?”, “is your room hot/cold?”.

NAW, it’s the same fucking setting it’s been at all fucking year!

I'm seeing an increasing number of articles online from 'business people' about how working from home "doesn't work" or is "a failed experiment" etc.

Every single time the vast majority of the comments are calling out the utter bullshit and saying that working from home, be it full time or only some of the time, is so much better and so much more efficient, as well as how they personally feel so much better.

Seems like the capitalist scum are shitting it and are pushing the propaganda. More and workers are seeing that the way things were done won't cut it any longer were/are comically inefficient and unnecessary. They know they can have better lives and the control freaks are furious about this.

Edited by DA Baracus

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I have done this in the past but it's not without its dangers. I attended a massive meeting where I didn't expect to interact with. I was playing a cracking game of Civilization when I heard the words "Do YOU think it's a good idea, Cardinal Richelieu?" ... normally you could just ask them to repeat it because they cut out slightly, but it was absolutely clear I was being asked for my summary of the entire meeting and I couldn't even begin to bluff my way out of it. My only course of action was to wait 30 seconds then disconnect from the meeting and Teams, then offer up some apology at a later date when my internet came back online. 

I hope during the 30 seconds you started bullshitting i.e. Thanks Jeff yes happy to give my update it's been **disconnects WiFi**

Feet up and finish your game.

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

If one of only 2 male teachers at the school (total staff is about 12), the other is part time music.
Somehow, because of this and because I have an engineering degree. I was tasked with setting up the thermostat at the start of the year (new building). Since then, at least 2 or 3 times a week one of the other teachers will come in in the morning and ask/complain “is it hot/cold in here?”, “is your room hot/cold?”.

Glad to hear the degree is being put to good use. 

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

2 hours ago, Raidernation said:

You're really the janitor aren't you?

7 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I fill mine with appointments for tasks I’m going to do that don’t require any interaction, just so that people don’t assume you’re free. So the calendar is always fairly full.

I also put in personal ones too tbf so that nobody attempts to book in a meeting then. Someone looking at my calendar will see an appointment from 4-5.30pm in a few weeks time. I’m going for a fitting for golf clubs.

"I see you're booked on a 4 hour course next Friday, what's that?"

"Dundonald Links. Piss off"

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm seeing an increasing number of articles online from 'business people' about how working from home "doesn't work" or is "a failed experiment" etc.

Every single time the vast majority of the comments are calling out the utter bullshit and saying that working from home, be it full time or only some of the time, is so much better and so much more efficient, as well as how they personally feel so much better.

Seems like the capitalist scum are shitting it and are pushing the propaganda. More and workers are seeing that the way things were done won't cut it any longer were/are comically inefficient and unnecessary. They know they can have better lives and the control freaks are furious about this.

Thats all well and good, but folk are going to have to stand up and be counted. Employers force through unpopular shite all the time. If theres no demonstrable cost to them, then they will keep on going. 

In this instance, organised trade union action is cost #1, loss of skills to rival businesses who offer preferable work conditions is cost #2. 

Cost #2 comes with an inherent risk that a cabal of businesses agree to f**k you all over in their own mutual interests/that of the government.

Which leaves people with 1 choice... Stand up and be counted. Demand union recognition and make it happen

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What they miss is it's not about location for most. Good, productive people will still be the same in most cases. It's the inability to manage less productive staff that causes the problem either in the office or elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

My work are forcing us all back in next week. Kicked up a fuss and requested one day at home but reckon this will be rejected. Got a meeting on Monday. Shambles

Write to your MP (MSP are obviously not around at the moment) clearly as you have been working from home and the rules haven't changed then this is a clear breach of the rules.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What they miss is it's not about location for most. Good, productive people will still be the same in most cases. It's the inability to manage less productive staff that causes the problem either in the office or elsewhere.

Came up when I was talking to one of the bosses in my place the other day...he was saying he'd been amazed at how well most folk have hit the ground running with regard to all the changes, although there obviously have been exceptions.

I said on the day we were sent home I could have made a list of a dozen names of folk that would struggle...and guess what...they're pretty much exactly the same names we had problems with when we were IN the office.

It's not the working from home that's the problem, it's the fact that there's a few that need a manager working them like Sooty in order for them to be even passably functional.

Edited by Hillonearth

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Thats all well and good, but folk are going to have to stand up and be counted. Employers force through unpopular shite all the time. If theres no demonstrable cost to them, then they will keep on going. 

In this instance, organised trade union action is cost #1, loss of skills to rival businesses who offer preferable work conditions is cost #2. 

Cost #2 comes with an inherent risk that a cabal of businesses agree to f**k you all over in their own mutual interests/that of the government.

Which leaves people with 1 choice... Stand up and be counted. Demand union recognition and make it happen

Already contacted the union about this. Waiting to hear back.

22 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Came up when I was talking to one of the bosses in my place the other day...he was saying he'd been amazed at how well most folk have hit the ground running with regard to all the changes, although there obviously have been exceptions.

I said on the day we were sent home I could have made a list of a dozen names of folk that would struggle...and guess what...they're pretty much exactly the same names we had problems with when we were IN the office.

It's not the working from home that's the problem, it's the fact that there's a few that need a manager working them like Sooty in order for them to be even passably functional.

It's easy for me to say I suppose because I don't manage staff any more. I did notice when I did though that there is a new category of staff who don't seem to understand the concept of being managed. If you get a few like that and a couple of poor managers it can get a bit chaotic. Different agendas and priorities among a team with a supposedly common purpose.