Work colleagues

A pal of mine's brother worked as a corporate lawyer at Bastud, Bastud, Bastud and Kunt in Edinburgh during the financial crash. He went to a meeting where the HR guy said that they were going to have to let some folk go due to the downturn in business while others would be paid part time wages while still being expected to work full time hours. Someone made the point to the HR guy "If half the staff are being laid off you'll have less work to do so why aren't you going part time then, matey?" and funnily enough the subject was changed immediately. 

20 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The girl with the plastic arse is Rock Moranis's wife, Polly.

Hide contents

"The girl with the plastic arse" is also the far less successful 4th Stieg Larsson novel.

One of the best posts I've ever seen on here concerned an attempt by Rangers to sign the former Croatia striker Ivica Olic, only to pull out of the deal when they found out about his wife Cath.

Trade Unions need to drag themselves into the 21st century, break the association with coal miners and the 1970s, and even "trades" stereotypes and start working their way into the city/offices etc, IMO. Use the pandemic as a chance to show people the malevolence of their employers and pet them know that there is a path to a better work life balance, but that they will have to stand up for themselves to get it.

As an aside, working on a "bring trade unionism up to date" taskforce would probably be my dream job.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

A pal of mine's brother worked as a corporate lawyer at Bastud, Bastud, Bastud and Kunt in Edinburgh during the financial crash. He went to a meeting where the HR guy said that they were going to have to let some folk go due to the downturn in business while others would be paid part time wages while still being expected to work full time hours. Someone made the point to the HR guy "If half the staff are being laid off you'll have less work to do so why aren't you going part time then, matey?" and funnily enough the subject was changed immediately. 

Similarly, our delivery drivers have been on furlough for most of the past year, while their boss (who is on three times their wage) has been kept on to fulfil the few delivery jobs that are still required. His job currently consists of driving a few small packages across town a few times a week, then away home early for wine o'clock.

Pretty sure one of the boys on minimum wage could have managed that, but whatever. Not my money.

Trade Unions need to drag themselves into the 21st century, break the association with coal miners and the 1970s, and even "trades" stereotypes and start working their way into the city/offices etc, IMO. Use the pandemic as a chance to show people the malevolence of their employers and pet them know that there is a path to a better work life balance, but that they will have to stand up for themselves to get it.

As an aside, working on a "bring trade unionism up to date" taskforce would probably be my dream job.
You'd think it would be mine, as well. Unfortunately, two decades of protecting staff from mistreatment, helping to ensure health and safety guidelines were followed, and helping those going through personal crises either work or health related - only to be told by those same people that Unions were Shite and no, they wouldn't take part in a walkout to support their colleagues - left me with nothing but massive stress leading to blood pressure issues, a stroke, and ultimately having to give up the job I loved.
No amount of pointing out that weekends, holiday pay, sick pay, maternity/paternity leave, safe working conditions and so many other things we take for granted didn't happen because of employers' generosity will ever convince the GBP that Unions are anything but a drag on getting things done - I.e. Employers making money.
People are so easily manipulated - ask anyone which Labour policies they disagreed with in 2017 and they'll struggle to name one, but they "couldn't vote for Corbyn" - of course they couldn't, unless they lived in Islington. Asking for which EU law they're looking forward to having repealed is another way to ensure a few minutes of silence - or a babbling regurgitation of bullshit Express propaganda with as much grounding in fact as the rangers buying a dead club's history.

Jeez, I'm grumpy today.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

That's a great shout.

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

You'd think it would be mine, as well. Unfortunately, two decades of protecting staff from mistreatment, helping to ensure health and safety guidelines were followed, and helping those going through personal crises either work or health related - only to be told by those same people that Unions were Shite and no, they wouldn't take part in a walkout to support their colleagues - left me with nothing but massive stress leading to blood pressure issues, a stroke, and ultimately having to give up the job I loved.
No amount of pointing out that weekends, holiday pay, sick pay, maternity/paternity leave, safe working conditions and so many other things we take for granted didn't happen because of employers' generosity will ever convince the GBP that Unions are anything but a drag on getting things done - I.e. Employers making money.
People are so easily manipulated - ask anyone which Labour policies they disagreed with in 2017 and they'll struggle to name one, but they "couldn't vote for Corbyn" - of course they couldn't, unless they lived in Islington. Asking for which EU law they're looking forward to having repealed is another way to ensure a few minutes of silence - or a babbling regurgitation of bullshit Express propaganda with as much grounding in fact as the rangers buying a dead club's history.

Jeez, I'm grumpy today.

That's pretty similar to my experience within a union. People want out something of tangibly the same value they put in and think they would have magically got payrises and decent conditions anyway. 

It's a vicious circle- people think the union is useless to them (or they can free ride), membership goes down, negotiating power goes down.  

My perception is that in the past people tended to think more collectively and now they think more about themselves. 

21 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

The consensus I'm finding is that she has a plastic arse because of cocaine. Can you ingest cocaine through the arse? Does that make your arse fall off? I feel so naive reading these things. 

On 19/03/2021 at 19:10, coprolite said:

That's pretty similar to my experience within a union. People want out something of tangibly the same value they put in and think they would have magically got payrises and decent conditions anyway. 

It's a vicious circle- people think the union is useless to them (or they can free ride), membership goes down, negotiating power goes down.  

My perception is that in the past people tended to think more collectively and now they think more about themselves. 

The true legacy of Margaret Thatcher.

It won't change until enough of us are eating from trashcans and run out of minorities to blame, and we're a long way from that.

Has this Goldman thing not been (semi) debunked in terms of it was a very small group (13 I think) of folk who did this survey, set out the deck to look like an official Goldman slide deck and released it on social media? Some of the hours are absolutely mental, I know a few folk who work in these kind of industries and regularly clock 70-80 hours plus. They earn good money, definitely not life changing and no more than you can earn in other “hot” industries nowadays where you retain a degree of work life balance.

Theres also a question where everyone says that this is massively inhumane, but they also say they’d be happy to see others suffer the same fate. Reckon it’s a bit like the bullying that went on in football teams, “well it happened to me so the next group should also suffer it”. I think a fair amount of the behaviour in IB/corporate law comes down to people not wanting others to experience an easier ride than they did. 

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The consensus I'm finding is that she has a plastic arse because of cocaine. Can you ingest cocaine through the arse? Does that make your arse fall off? I feel so naive reading these things. 

There is a rumour that Stevie Nicks used to have cocaine blown up her bum in a rubber tube to avoid damaging her vocal cords by snorting it. Probably not true.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There is a rumour that Stevie Nicks used to have cocaine blown up her bum in a rubber tube to avoid damaging her vocal cords by snorting it. Probably not true.

I lost a fucking fortnight when she farted that time.

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

aye that was the rumour