Work colleagues

The big weegie tramp that I've mentioned a couple of times on here has just bagged himself two weeks in isolation. He is the only one in his family of 17 (daughters and grandkids) that can drive. One of his daughters has been suffering from symptoms of covid so sent away for a test by mail which returned inconclusive and stated that she would have to go to one of the drive in centres and get tested again. Here lies the problem.

He decided to drive his daughter, along with his wife and granddaughter to the test centre, it's since returned positive.

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/10/2020 at 16:58, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Sounds like "procurement" have the final say.

"Our processes says this is the way it has to be done"

"But if I get it from this supplier then its 50% cheaper (for the tax payer btw)"

"Are they on our special procurement list?"

"No"

"Well then..."

"Can we get them on the list?"

Sucks teeth.

"Fill in these 45 forms and we'll get them on within 12 months"

"Go f**k yourself"

Fin.

I might turn that into a play.

This is my work in a fucking nut shell.

"Boss, I can get this material at least half price if we buy it loose and 20 tons of it instead of individual bags over the next 2 years. Theyll do free delivery with that quantity too."

"Are they on the ordering system?"

"No, can't see them. But I know the company, I used them in my previous job. How do we get them onto our system?"

"Phone finance, they'll send you a B3392.291d form. Fill all 37 pages and they'll then send you a 23 page C22918p001993 form. Fill it out and send it to send to me. I'll check it over and send you the 76 page B28817728.A form and that gets sent to them. When they send that back you fill in 12 page B3391991342 and then that goes back to the new supplier. If they are happy then we need them to send in their bank details. When that's done then you fill out a 9 page G33920001 request form then it should be ok to order in 6 to 8 weeks."

"Nah its ok ill just order a single ton bag" *mutters*  "on tax payers money" as I hang up.

Crazy stuff.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

As a public sector plodder myself I am often amused/ enraged at the views of some that we should justify every outgoing of "tax payer's money" to the nth degree to ensure transparency and efficiency.

Then complain like f**k when the resulting beurocracy slows things down.

"You wouldn't get this in the private sector" etc.

Aye, there's reasons for that, Crawford son. Your Director's second home in Florida for one.

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

Quick question as a lot of folk here seem to be public sector - do most public sector jobs in Scotland have proper flexi time?

Where I am as long as you hit your contracted hours and are here between 10-3:30 then you can work whenever you like and take one day off a week, I think. That’s in normal times though. Atm they’re pretty happy for you to WFH at very short notice.

13 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Quick question as a lot of folk here seem to be public sector - do most public sector jobs in Scotland have proper flexi time?

There are usually limitations of only work within the designated band with e.g. 7.00am to 7.00 on and keep your credit or time in debit within agreed parameters. I suspect that's not always being adhered to during the pandemic though.

Why do you ask or what part interests you?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

There are usually limitations of only work within the designated band with e.g. 7.00am to 7.00 on and keep your credit or time in debit within agreed parameters. I suspect that's not always being adhered to during the pandemic though.

Why do you ask or what part interests you?

Thanks man, ach just thinking it would be a pretty cool option to have, top up the holidays etc. My current work has a "flexible when it suits us" approach which is a pain in the arse. Ie if you want to start earlier and finish earlier you can but if you work way over your hours one week you can kiss that time goodbye.

5 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Thanks man, ach just thinking it would be a pretty cool option to have, top up the holidays etc. My current work has a "flexible when it suits us" approach which is a pain in the arse. Ie if you want to start earlier and finish earlier you can but if you work way over your hours one week you can kiss that time goodbye.

It's a huge plus, because the money is shite. We have the most liberal flexi I've come accross. Suits me perfectly. The other side of the coin is it can be abused quite easily if managers aren't on top of things.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

27 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

We have core times 9.30-3.30. You're meant to work 8 hours a day (7:30 plus half hour lunch) to make up the full day so 9.30-3.30 wouldn't be a typical working day.

Currently I work in a dept answering public calls so I'm expected to get in at 9 and work to 5. If there's cover for phones I could naff off at 3.30 and have done on one or two occasions to get to away games (remember going to the football?)

You can go 14 hours up or 14 hours down per month and take a maximum of 2 Flexi days per month. (I know a guy who builds his time up over a month and will take 2 days at the end of the month and a third day because it's the start of a new month so that is ok under the policy)

I'm on a Flexi day today and am wasting it by posting shite on P&B...

No idea why I'm torturing myself finding out about this when I'm in week 8/12 of hours getting bumped up to 45 a week for audit season. Still, almost a third of the way through the year I have to spend here to get my qualification and look good on the CV before I f**k off 

Thanks though everyone, interesting stuff

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

Sorry this is a bit late, but in connection to the earlier posts about colleagues who annoy f**k out of you while eating lunch -

I used to regularly get my breakfast/lunch inspected and critiqued, the usual 'oh that's no very healthy/you should eat more X', by a woman who, when pressed, admitted to downing at least 25 cups of black coffee in a typical day. <_<

Cunt at work does that thing that when someone calls him on his mobile he has to get up and start pacing around our small office. 

Walking right behind you, stopping for a couple of seconds, then moving on.  Does it to everyone.  He's not a manager or anything just a normal worker.  Why do people do this?  Feel the need to have to walk around when talking on the phone.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Feel the need to have to walk around when talking on the phone.

I'll never sit in the company of somebody whilst on a personal call. Always get up and walk away somewhere quiet as as a rule of thumb, folk are nosey bastirts and the less they hear about your personal life the better.