Work colleagues

On 12/09/2020 at 01:15, The Golden God said:

Getting moaned at for being slow/shite at my job by someone who was completely useless, hated by almost all the staff and just a complete arsehole in general. I’m not claiming I’m absolutely amazing at what I do or anything but having someone completely shite moaning is a step too far.

I used to get this with my former supervisor, though it was her who was not only slow and shite, but a bone idle chancer. She joined the company in September last year and from the get go, was instantly fucking hopeless. I've got a shite poker face at the best of times and used to raise my eyebrows and puff my cheeks out at nearly everything nonsensical that she said. Gave her 3 months of a grace period to get trained and up to speed and it was obvious that she was pish. Yet whenever I'd (respectfully) question a ludicrous decision, I was undermining her.

The red flags went off in my first meeting with her, we sat down and I had a brief talk and her opening two gambits were 'I'm a real people pleaser' (Big fucking red flag, if you need to tell folk that, you're a fanny) and 'You can challenge my way of thinking or rationale, even I'm not infallible'.....at that point I knew I was dealing with an arsehole.

I got told in my performance review that my collection levels, bad debt, overdues etc were all exemplary....I carry about $2,000 of debt over 150 days old on a ledger of about $13m of collectable debt a month, so basically nothing..... and yet I still got hit with, 'but I need to be seen to improve you and make you better, so what would you do in my shoes?'....I just looked at her and went, 'Honestly? Leave me alone. Don't even engage me, if I start doing shite, then come back to me'.

Thankfully, our director also saw early on that she was a hopeless chancer. She fell asleep in a quarterly all hands meeting in amongst about 140 folk and almost everyone saw it. She was lazy and shiftless, she'd get other folk to do her work and take the credit....one time she reached out to someone sitting next to her to gather reports that directors were asking for - the lassie did it and sent it back to her but copied all the directors in too and got dragged into a room for a telling off as she was raging that it wasn't passed directly to her to pass onto the directors....the very epitome of someone who blagged their way through the door. Thankfully, she never made it through her probation and 'resigned' after 9 months.

And she smelled of damp clothes that hadn't been dried properly too. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Can’t stand the lunch question people, salad? Sa-lad? What’s that? Why don’t you eat crisps? Do you no like crisps? I like crisps. Bought some from the shop. How do you find time to make an apple? 
Mentioned this before but I used to sometimes buy a meal deal from marks and Spencers and would receive so many comments as if it cost a million dollars. It’s cheaper than the Nando’s or McDonald’s shite you buy once a week you dafty and it’s actually food. 
ooooh fancy, you do know it’s just overpriced rubbish don’t you, I wish I could afford to shop there ..Aye unlike your Nando’s or subway. Would usually just nod and say aye yeah. Tried explaining how you can get great deals that work out cheaper than Asda now and again but then next time....oooh a moose from marks, someone’s getting paid too much.

MURDER DEATH KILL

Edited by D.A.F.C

47 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

oooh a moose from marks, someone’s getting paid too much.

MURDER DEATH KILL

TBH they are right.  I'm a big carnivore but would still need a doggy bag when it comes to tackling a moose for lunch.

Edited by The_Kincardine

4 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

OOH THAT LOOKS HEALTHY OH YOU MADE IT YOURSELF OH VERY WELL DONE NOT SURE HOW YOU HAVE THE TIME  WHAT WITH GETTING THE KIDS OFF TO SCHOOL AND GETTING HERE I JUST BUY A SANGGGGGWICH ACROSS THE ROAD

Congratulations on having a nice, round 10000 reputation score, Mixu. I just red dotted you to perhaps prolong this once you inevitably receive another greenie soon. I may even follow you around the forum red dotting you to attempt to keep it at that very satisfying looking figure. 

You're welcome. 

20200915_094501.jpg

On 09/09/2020 at 09:05, ICTChris said:

My grandad was born just before the First World War in Sandwick on Shetland and was named Laurence. Apparently the thing in Shetland at the time was to name all kids the same, so there were loads of Laurence’s in Sandiwck at that time. To get round it everyone got a nickname, my grandads was Boon, I don’t think anyone, including him, knew where that came from but everyone called him it for the next 80 years.

I’m from Sandwick. I’ll ask my mate who’s really into his history of the area if he has any idea of the nickname (although as you allude to, sounds like if there was a reason your grandad would have known). There was a guy known as Boon in the next village when I was growing up, a big bearded burly guy who always had a boilersuit on (younger than your grandad though).

I’m from Sandwick. I’ll ask my mate who’s really into his history of the area if he has any idea of the nickname (although as you allude to, sounds like if there was a reason your grandad would have known). There was a guy known as Boon in the next village when I was growing up, a big bearded burly guy who always had a boilersuit on (younger than your grandad though).
Sandwick bakery is very decent IIRC

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

Sandwick bakery is very decent IIRC

Worked there for a while. No stories of annoying work colleagues unfortunately. If anything, was the other way round... we used to have two lovely old dears that were approaching 80 who had been there for decades and still came in to slice the bread every day. Probably me that was the annoying work colleague...

On 09/09/2020 at 08:05, ICTChris said:

My grandad was born just before the First World War in Sandwick on Shetland and was named Laurence. Apparently the thing in Shetland at the time was to name all kids the same, so there were loads of Laurence’s in Sandiwck at that time. To get round it everyone got a nickname, my grandads was Boon, I don’t think anyone, including him, knew where that came from but everyone called him it for the next 80 years.

Can't believed I missed this opportunity at the time

Guest bernardblack
WHATS THAT? A SALAD? YE CANNAE HAVE A SALAD FOR LUNCH! D'YOU NO LIKE BREAD? JUST FANCIED A CHANGE? PFF NO CHANCE YOU'D CATCH ME EATING THAT. YOU'LL HAVE A RUMBLING TUMMY IN AN HOUR!

I once treated myself to a pain au chocolat on the way to work and it was sat at my desk, as I hadn’t grabbed a coffee yet.

The amount of people going past, stopping and giving it the “OOOH WHATS THAT? OH SOMEONES BEEN PAID?” etc

Infuriating

9 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

I once treated myself to a pain au chocolat on the way to work and it was sat at my desk, as I hadn’t grabbed a coffee yet.

The amount of people going past, stopping and giving it the “OOOH WHATS THAT? OH SOMEONES BEEN PAID?” etc

Infuriating

Nothing worse than someone verbally dissecting your food.

These are the same utter b*****ds who microwave salmon to stink out the canteen then go back to their desk with it to stink out everyone's workplace too.

Worked there for a while. No stories of annoying work colleagues unfortunately. If anything, was the other way round... we used to have two lovely old dears that were approaching 80 who had been there for decades and still came in to slice the bread every day. Probably me that was the annoying work colleague...

My grandad was a baker, he probably knew the old ladies you are talking about. He moved to Lerwick when he married my granny though, I think he might have been an apprentice in the bakers there rather than Sandwick.

Once when we were on holiday we went back to the house he grew up in, its now just a pile of stones, one of those old crofts you see in the countryside that’s been abandoned. Amazing the changes in the world he saw living through most of the 20th century, especially in Shetland were people went from living like that, as subsistence farmers basically to the oil boom and being the richest part of the U.K., by some measures. I don’t want to get all bucolic and sentimental about it though, what a hard life it must’ve been. One of my earliest memories is digging peat with my grandad, I think they would wait until we were up on holiday so my dad could go and help. It was in 1987 so grandad would’ve been in his mid 70s, digging peat. Most young people would shirk from that these days (including me, if I still count as young).

My grandad was a baker, he probably knew the old ladies you are talking about. He moved to Lerwick when he married my granny though, I think he might have been an apprentice in the bakers there rather than Sandwick.

Once when we were on holiday we went back to the house he grew up in, its now just a pile of stones, one of those old crofts you see in the countryside that’s been abandoned. Amazing the changes in the world he saw living through most of the 20th century, especially in Shetland were people went from living like that, as subsistence farmers basically to the oil boom and being the richest part of the U.K., by some measures. I don’t want to get all bucolic and sentimental about it though, what a hard life it must’ve been. One of my earliest memories is digging peat with my grandad, I think they would wait until we were up on holiday so my dad could go and help. It was in 1987 so grandad would’ve been in his mid 70s, digging peat. Most young people would shirk from that these days (including me, if I still count as young).
Theres a definite split in the Shetland young team between ones that really feel quite strongly about the islands traditions and ones that feel a bit more of the lure to the mainland. The number of them that are keen on crofting etc and get very defensive about Shetland surprised me though.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Theres a definite split in the Shetland young team between ones that really feel quite strongly about the islands traditions and ones that feel a bit more of the lure to the mainland. The number of them that are keen on crofting etc and get very defensive about Shetland surprised me though.

My mum and all her siblings left the island in their late teens or early twenties.  I was actually speaking to my mum about this recently and she said that her parents always encouraged them to get on and get as much education as possible, which inevitably meant leaving.  My aunt moved back just over 25 years ago and they lived with my grandad in the family home until he died a couple of years after.  Two others went to Australia, my mum was closest in Inverness and Aberdeen and another aunt was based in Stirling. 

One thing that always struck me about them all is the level of connection they have to Shetland.  Whenever they speak to each other they revert to the Shetland dialect, completely naturally, even my aunt and uncle who have lived in Australia for coming on 50 years do it.  My aunt and mum would knit Shetland patterns, all their grandchildren, including my son, have photographs with their blankets.  I just can't imagine feeling that way about Inverness but I think Shetland, espeically then, was more of a unique place and culture and they miss it more. 

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

My mum and all her siblings left the island in their late teens or early twenties.  I was actually speaking to my mum about this recently and she said that her parents always encouraged them to get on and get as much education as possible, which inevitably meant leaving.  My aunt moved back just over 25 years ago and they lived with my grandad in the family home until he died a couple of years after.  Two others went to Australia, my mum was closest in Inverness and Aberdeen and another aunt was based in Stirling. 

One thing that always struck me about them all is the level of connection they have to Shetland.  Whenever they speak to each other they revert to the Shetland dialect, completely naturally, even my aunt and uncle who have lived in Australia for coming on 50 years do it.  My aunt and mum would knit Shetland patterns, all their grandchildren, including my son, have photographs with their blankets.  I just can't imagine feeling that way about Inverness but I think Shetland, espeically then, was more of a unique place and culture and they miss it more. 

That dialect thing 😂 I tuned into it ok but there were two or three boys I knew who when they were speaking to eachother wasnt a kick in the arse off of code 😂 

The variations of accent aswell is amazing up there. Yell is a fucking beauty. 

35 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Nothing worse than someone verbally dissecting your food.

These are the same utter b*****ds who microwave salmon to stink out the canteen then go back to their desk with it to stink out everyone's workplace too.

We had a manager (who, apart from this was actually really sound) who would often microwave one of those bags of broccoli and cauliflower. It stank the office out big time as the kitchen was open plan. There were emails put around asking folk not to microwave strong smelling food in the office but he ignored them. They even bought a microwave for the canteen area but he still did it. I think on some level he loved how much it wound folk up

31 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

WHAT'S THAT YOU'RE READING? A NOVEL? IS THAT FOREIGN? I DON'T LIKE BOOKS I COULDN'T TELL YOU THE LAST TIME I READ A BOOK. OH IT'S OK DON'T PUT IT AWAY. YOU'RE SURE? DID ANYONE WATCH STRICTLY LAST NIGHT?

Oh, fucking hell! When I was in the office I always went down to the canteen to eat and read (because f**k sitting in front of my screen over my lunch like an utter drone) and I very quickly learned to keep my book in my bag. When the new microwave in the above post was put in it was great because I could then take my food from the fridge and put it in my bag without any seeing. Would sometimes be caught out whilst later cleaning my food container though.

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Haha, are you me?! One of my oldest memories is digging peat in Shetland with my grandad, dad and my older brother. Was a brilliant day and must only have been a couple of years on from your story! My grandad and grandmother lived in Aith. Sadly he died in, I think, 1991, and my grandmother died in 2014. She continued to live in Aith until she lost a leg, then had to move to a council flat with the relevant amenities in Lerwick.

They're both buried in the cemetery in Aith, right next to each other. They left room on his headstone for her.

With my old man terminal I might need to discuss his plans. Would be nice if he could be fired in next to them.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My dad was born in Glasgow (as were his two younger brothers) but they all moved back to Shetland when he was younger. He lived there for a few years before they moved back down to Glasgow. Not sure of the chronology so will need to ask him about it. He joined the navy and at some point the others went back up to Shetland, for good this time. The middle brother still lives there and has kids and, just recently, grandkids there. Only one of his kids moved south. The other brother lived there for a while before going a bit mental and running away to Canada because he thought his brother (not my dad, the other one), had hired a hitman to kill him. Was a tad awkward at my gran's funeral. His kids all moved south as soon as they could to go to university in Edinburgh and two of them now live in England, although the other moved back up last year. He (my dad's brother) is a grandad now as well. He's calmed down in recent years after the funeral and his subsequent deportation from Canada.

43 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That dialect thing 😂 I tuned into it ok but there were two or three boys I knew who when they were speaking to eachother wasnt a kick in the arse off of code 😂 

The variations of accent aswell is amazing up there. Yell is a fucking beauty. 

I'm ok with most of it but struggled with my cousin's girlfriend who is from Whalsay.

Edited by DA Baracus

I think pre-oil unless you wanted to be a fisherman or crofter then moving away was the only option.  Maybe it's different now but the oil has certainly had an affect on the prospects.

The other Shetlanders rip the pish out of Whalsay for being inbred. They are like the Sheltand equivalent of fifers

Whalsay probably has a higher percentage of millionaires in the population than anywhere  else in Scotland.