Work colleagues

On 09/09/2020 at 14:46, DiegoDiego said:

I was looking at my family tree and noticed that a few generations back a relative had six daughters named Mary. On closer inspection the first five had all died before the age of two.

It was quite a common theme in the times of high childhood mortality to keep giving your children the same name until one of them lived long enough you reckoned they’d make it. Bit brutal but f**k discussing baby names every year when you know it’s got a good chance of ending badly.

Edited by parsforlife

I always wondered why my older brother (first born in the family) got a single Christian name unrelated to anybody in the family but when I came along 9 years later I got two Christian names (my father's then another unrelated to the family).  To add to my confusion I was never known by my first Christian name but by my second.

I always assumed that if you were going to name a son after the father it was usually given to the first born male.

I gave up asking as I always seemed to get fobbed off.

Then when I was about 25 I happened to ask again at which point my mother blurted out...

"FFS!  If you really must know your father got pissed before he went to the registrar and got all sentimental...that is how your first name that was not even meant to be your name at all became your first name and how your second name that was meant to be your only name became your second name but is used as if it was your first name!".

My reply was..."erm, thanks for clearing that up, I think!"

Edited by Sugar_Army

Nah, it was really just because we had a superior team to Clydebank at the time. And still do tbf!
It's mental to think that the Bankies have been gone almost as long as the Twin Towers.

Not even a whimper tae. Just deid. Re-incarnated as Airdrie. f**k, what a way to go [emoji1785]

5 hours ago, microdave said:

I'm especially looking forward to the annual what were you doing on this day in 2001 tomorrow. Every year I love hearing that "I was at work and someone told me about the twin towers" from ten different people. I'll follow my usual routine of regaling them of tales of Dumbarton's glorious victory in the last West Dunbartonshire Derby.

It's already begun.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1391179867747277&id=697003337164937

16 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

It's mental to think that the Bankies have been gone almost as long as the Twin Towers.

Not even a whimper tae. Just deid. Re-incarnated as Airdrie. f**k, what a way to go emoji1785.png

Meadowbank Thistle were turned into the Franchise 6 months before Kenny Miller celebrated his 16th birthday. That's a long time ago..

5 hours ago, microdave said:

I'm especially looking forward to the annual what were you doing on this day in 2001 tomorrow. Every year I love hearing that "I was at work and someone told me about the twin towers" from ten different people. I'll follow my usual routine of regaling them of tales of Dumbarton's glorious victory in the last West Dunbartonshire Derby.

I was due to fly to Helsinki via Brussels the next day 

As can be expected security was very tight in Turnhouse. In Brussels they didn't give a f**k. And I remember thinking on the way to Helsinki "it'll be okay, no-one hates the Finns..."

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I can't wait till they import the American ritual of a gender reveal party and burning down California. It's already happened with trick or treat and school proms.

c***s already do that.

20 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Gender reveal parties are for attention seeking fuckwits, who should be stoned to death.

As are the folk who f**k off to get married and then have the audacity to say "we didn't want you at our wedding so we will throw a party here, bring gifts. x" 

Get yersel tae f**k. 

42 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

As are the folk who f**k off to get married and then have the audacity to say "we didn't want you at our wedding so we will throw a party here, bring gifts. x" 

Get yersel tae f**k. 

Add baby showers and engagement parties to the list. Also christenings as nobody gives a f**k about the religious aspect, they just want a party and presents for their kids. 

f**k off with the lot of them. 

I always wondered why my older brother (first born in the family) got a single Christian name unrelated to anybody in the family but when I came along 9 years later I got two Christian names (my father's then another unrelated to the family).  To add to my confusion I was never known by my first Christian name but by my second.
I always assumed that if you were going to name a son after the father it was usually given to the first born male.
I gave up asking as I always seemed to get fobbed off.
Then when I was about 25 I happened to ask again at which point my mother blurted out...
"FFS!  If you really must know your father got pissed before he went to the registrar and got all sentimental...that is how your first name that was not even meant to be your name at all became your first name and how your second name that was meant to be your only name became your second name but is used as if it was your first name!".
My reply was..."erm, thanks for clearing that up, I think!"
I like Sugar. You should have stuck with it.

Guest bernardblack

I was warming up to come on in the schools cup game, in first year.

Was told that WW3 was happening merely seconds before joining the match.

I’m blaming that for my performance that day...

59 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Bit disappointing, was expecting one of @throbber 's art works. 

Throbber is probably saving up to have one of his artworks projected onto the headquarters of the Peoples Daily newspaper in Beijing.

Spoiler

5bad39c61f0000df0022952f.jpeg?ops=scalef

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Add baby showers and engagement parties to the list. Also christenings as nobody gives a f**k about the religious aspect, they just want a party and presents for their kids. 

f**k off with the lot of them. 

Naming ceremonies are the new christenings. All a load of shite. As you say, put on to get presents. 

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Meadowbank Thistle were turned into the Franchise 6 months before Kenny Miller celebrated his 16th birthday. That's a long time ago..

Until 2016 I used to tell people that the last time Hibs won the Cup, Oliver Hardy was a ten-year-old boy.