Work colleagues

Would the folk in the register office not double check names?
In fact do they not need to ensure that a kid isn't called 'Tosser' or 'Hitler' or 'Gove' etc?
They got so upset at us trying james they told us to use Jamie...
I do not actually think they give a f**k

Ffs 10 minutes of my life wasted and nothing about cuntish workmates. Back on track chaps.

One of mine keeps soft french cheese in the juice fridge. Currently I am using it as a test for everyone to see if they need covid19 tested.

#thoughtfulmanager

9 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Do you not get something like 30 days to register a birth (I think this was extended during lockdown). How much of a Jakie do you have to be be that you are not sober enough in 30 days to register a name properly

Yep...but I think a few here are mixing up 2 different events - the traditional wetting of the baby's head (surely getting pished for that is OK and in fact perhaps expected) and registering the birth (getting pished is optional but maybe not the best idea).  A 3rd event for some would be a Christening - again, being pished wouldn't be frowned upon for that one. 

Would the folk in the register office not double check names?
In fact do they not need to ensure that a kid isn't called 'Tosser' or 'Hitler' or 'Gove' etc?

I don’t think there are any restrictions on what you can name your child in Britain. There are in some other countries, Sweden being one. I think the registrar vetoed someone naming their kid Metallica there a few years back.

In Freakonomics there’s a funny story about a guy in America who named his kids Winner and Loser.

32 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep...but I think a few here are mixing up 2 different events - the traditional wetting of the baby's head (surely getting pished for that is OK and in fact perhaps expected) and registering the birth (getting pished is optional but maybe not the best idea).  A 3rd event for some would be a Christening - again, being pished wouldn't be frowned upon for that one. 

It probably would be if the minister dropped the bairn into the font.

32 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t think there are any restrictions on what you can name your child in Britain. There are in some other countries, Sweden being one. I think the registrar vetoed someone naming their kid Metallica there a few years back.

In Freakonomics there’s a funny story about a guy in America who named his kids Winner and Loser.

You're right that there are no specific restrictions but apparently obscenities, numerals, misleading titles or impossible to pronounce can be rejected.  

Okay, my last word on the subject. I wasn't equating wetting the baby's head with getting pished on the way to register the birth - as I said it was because a couple of the posts seemed to give the impression that new fathers become teetotal. Maybe some do but I suspect they're in the minority.

The incident I mentioned was a one-off, a guy and his brother going for a pint and overdoing it. I didn't imply it was a regular thing and the reaction shows that it isn't. But it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It was before the war and things were different then. Maybe these days the registrar would refuse to take details from somebody who was clearly drunk, but back then I'm not even sure it was illegal to drive when you were pished. I may be wrong.

Bottom line: you may decide that the baby's father was a c**t for cocking up the name because he was drunk. I wouldn't disagree.

42 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Okay, my last word on the subject. I wasn't equating wetting the baby's head with getting pished on the way to register the birth - as I said it was because a couple of the posts seemed to give the impression that new fathers become teetotal.

I honestly can't see anyone suggesting that at all. 

I'm especially looking forward to the annual what were you doing on this day in 2001 tomorrow. Every year I love hearing that "I was at work and someone told me about the twin towers" from ten different people. I'll follow my usual routine of regaling them of tales of Dumbarton's glorious victory in the last West Dunbartonshire Derby.

8 minutes ago, microdave said:

I'm especially looking forward to the annual what were you doing on this day in 2001 tomorrow. Every year I love hearing that "I was at work and someone told me about the twin towers" from ten different people. I'll follow my usual routine of regaling them of tales of Dumbarton's glorious victory in the last West Dunbartonshire Derby.

So Dumbarton were somehow behind this attack to enable a victory that might not have happened without a suitable distraction.

Sounds entirely credible to me.

So Dumbarton were somehow behind this attack to enable a victory that might not have happened without a suitable distraction.
Nah, it was really just because we had a superior team to Clydebank at the time. And still do tbf!

11 hours ago, GordonD said:

Okay, my last word on the subject. I wasn't equating wetting the baby's head with getting pished on the way to register the birth - as I said it was because a couple of the posts seemed to give the impression that new fathers become teetotal. Maybe some do but I suspect they're in the minority.

The incident I mentioned was a one-off, a guy and his brother going for a pint and overdoing it. I didn't imply it was a regular thing and the reaction shows that it isn't. But it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It was before the war and things were different then. Maybe these days the registrar would refuse to take details from somebody who was clearly drunk, but back then I'm not even sure it was illegal to drive when you were pished. I may be wrong.

Bottom line: you may decide that the baby's father was a c**t for cocking up the name because he was drunk. I wouldn't disagree.

I can't wait till they import the American ritual of a gender reveal party and burning down California. It's already happened with trick or treat and school proms.

1 hour ago, microdave said:
3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Nah, it was really just because we had a superior team to Clydebank at the time. And still do tbf!

So you were actually behind the bombing of Clydebank during the war. And everyone thought it was the Germans.