Work colleagues

52 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

My last workplace did the whole surname forename email in outlook, used to get hi surname a lot.
Anyone who couldn't be bothered reading down to the end, seeing my name at the bottom and starting hi surname, got put on the wait till last moment list.
Luckily there was someone with my surname as a first name in the department and he got a good few confusing calls chasing replies (even though my direct dial was in the signature).
The finance sector has its fair share of idiots

There was a guy in the company with the same name as me, only reversed. I kept getting invited to his meetings, which I would have accepted but he was down in the Home Counties or somewhere like that and I don't think I could have claimed back the travel costs.

I worked with a guy who regularly received emails meant for someone who has the same name but in reverse, ie surname, first name. They got to know each other pretty well.

My surname is also a first name, I used to go to with a lassie with it, if we’d got married she’d have had the same surname and first name.

In a former department I worked at there was a situation where two people shared the same name and emails would sometimes get mixed up.  One guy was nice about it and would forward emails to the other guy if someone had got the wrong one, the other was a complete nutter and would send rage replies to people who got it wrong, highlighting the fact that he has his middle initial in his email address.  Strange character.

On a different note related to emails, someone I work with regularly signs all of her emails with "please advise" even if she isn't asking you a question and it confuses the hell out of me because I am always trying to figure out if she is asking for some info or something

Edited by senorsoupe

21 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

A new chef started at my work just before lockdown, I only met him once or twice. He then had to shield so have been off for the best part of 6 months. He’s returned now and has decided my name is Scott. Now my name isn’t Scott, but he’s called me by that name about 3 or 4 times in the last 2 days. The first time I wasn’t sure what I’d heard, but has since called me it several times.

Do I have the awkward conversation of telling him my name isn’t Scott, or do I change my name to Scott?

I had that happen to me.  Eventually I gave him my business card and asked him to pass it on to someone else.  That worked.

Similarly if you ask him to write his name down on a piece of paper where you have obviously written your name already.

Alternatively you should call him Amundsen - thus continuing the theme of Antarctic explorers.

I have two people at my work call me Scott despite my name not being Scott. They work in different departments and we only have occasional  dealings.

I think it came about because there used to be somebody in my department called Scott who would speak to them on the phone. When I see them they must  think I'm him

See all of you cuntos who have colleagues that don't come in as they need to take care of family members? Where do you all work? Is this normal?

I'm always having to reschedule hospital appointments and the like because work needs a month's notice in advance for anything. Pretty sure I could get hit by a bus and they'd want to know why I didn't schedule my recuperation time in advance. I've had a day off at the end of the year booked for family reasons since June, and I'm already hearing noises that it might not be possible as there's nobody to cover me.

My name is quite literally Scott, so maybe we could swap jobs if you fancy doing shitey office admin work if you don't think he'd notice?
I can't cook to save myself if you're also a chef, so that may be a barrier to this plan.
Many thanks
Kind regards
Quite Literally a Poster called Scott
You look more like a Naomi. X

49 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

See all of you cuntos who have colleagues that don't come in as they need to take care of family members? Where do you all work? Is this normal?

I'm always having to reschedule hospital appointments and the like because work needs a month's notice in advance for anything. Pretty sure I could get hit by a bus and they'd want to know why I didn't schedule my recuperation time in advance. I've had a day off at the end of the year booked for family reasons since June, and I'm already hearing noises that it might not be possible as there's nobody to cover me.

I am not really sure your Company is acting legally.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Your employer sound like c***s.

11 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

I am not really sure your Company is acting legally.

The law's something of an afterthought. I've been asked to break the law many times by folk higher up the food chain than me on the understanding that, if I'm caught, I'm on my own. The trick is to get away with not breaking the law while making it look like you have. Perverse.

If I'm ever dropped in the shit, my work diary ought to be a fun read for whoever's representing me.

Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

Your employer sound like c***s.

Yes. Yes, they do.

Beggars can't be choosers.

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The law's something of an afterthought. I've been asked to break the law many times by folk higher up the food chain than me on the understanding that, if I'm caught, I'm on my own. The trick is to get away with not breaking the law while making it look like you have. Perverse.

If I'm ever dropped in the shit, my work diary ought to be a fun read for whoever's representing me.

Yes. Yes, they do.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Email audit trails are your friends here, although I suspect that would result in you being blackballed from the industry. Utterly shite state of affairs tbh.

13 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Email audit trails are your friends here, although I suspect that would result in you being blackballed from the industry. Utterly shite state of affairs tbh.

I've sent hundreds of emails that begin, "to follow up from our recent verbal discussion...", none of which are ever replied to. You can always tell something dodgy's about to go down when you get an email asking you to call somebody, or arranging a time to discuss something in person  :lol:

Just in case I'm making it sound like I'm a potential Deep Throat here, it's a minimum wage job. Small potatoes stuff. But enough that the organisation would lose contracts and be publicly embarrassed if the people they deal with knew what was going on.

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've sent hundreds of emails that begin, "to follow up from our recent verbal discussion...", none of which are ever replied to. You can always tell something dodgy's about to go down when you get an email asking you to call somebody, or arranging a time to discuss something in person  :lol:

Just in case I'm making it sound like I'm a potential Deep Throat here, it's a minimum wage job. Small potatoes stuff. But enough that the organisation would lose contracts and be publicly embarrassed if the people they deal with knew what was going on.

Cast iron cnuts, would shit themselves if anyone took them to a tribunal and threatened to spill their secrets.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

We can take 5 dependents day a year and they can't hold it against us,it is unpaid but handy to fall back on.

9 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Cast iron cnuts, would shit themselves if anyone took them to a tribunal and threatened to spill their secrets.

Aye but, I've always had the impression that this kind of shit is normal. Always melts my mind when I hear about employers allowing their employees to sack off work for family reasons; nobody I've ever worked for would put up with that. My current lot are just sneaky and incompetent - I've worked for some real psychos. Probably explains why every single employer I've ever had went out of business...wouldn't surprise me if the current one goes the same way TBH.

I think it's time to admit that the problem may be me!