Work colleagues

PnBPost.thumb.png.310dba22207e90bd9ed2ca500f50fc03.png
I deal with yank IT here (and sometimes Indian depending on what item has crapped the bed) the Americans always are more relaxed and mention to CYA in Skype / Webex when making changes or asking you to make changes.
I did ask and that is the term cover your ass.
They did like PICNIC in place of PEBCAK mind you.

A lovely sharing of culture.

And yes, I still live in the arse end of the arse end of nowhere but I do get superior Internet to the city dwellers

19 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Much the same, yep. Pretty bad lag on my machine while I've been (genuinely) trying to work away, so stuff that normally would take about 15 minutes is now double that on average, plus I'm rusty as f**k thanks to 4+ months of getting that sweet, sweet furlough money.

Could try calling the support desk about it on my working hours but they've had horrendously long queues recently and I'm not sure it's worth sitting on hold as I can't see them saying "your wi-fi is shite, the company will pay for you to get a far better home broadband connection"

Might just need to see how long I can play the "oh boy my machine is running really slow here guys" card. It's the truth, but I kinda wonder at a certain point if they'll go "er, everyone else is working at a fine speed, why can't you?"

edit: I'm going to try getting all the other devices in the house off the internet tomorrow and see if that helps, but I'm not sure my partner will be thrilled if I tell her she can't watch 90 day fiancee on the kindle for about 8 hours a day.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

A new chef started at my work just before lockdown, I only met him once or twice. He then had to shield so have been off for the best part of 6 months. He’s returned now and has decided my name is Scott. Now my name isn’t Scott, but he’s called me by that name about 3 or 4 times in the last 2 days. The first time I wasn’t sure what I’d heard, but has since called me it several times.

Do I have the awkward conversation of telling him my name isn’t Scott, or do I change my name to Scott?

23 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

A new chef started at my work just before lockdown, I only met him once or twice. He then had to shield so have been off for the best part of 6 months. He’s returned now and has decided my name is Scott. Now my name isn’t Scott, but he’s called me by that name about 3 or 4 times in the last 2 days. The first time I wasn’t sure what I’d heard, but has since called me it several times.

Do I have the awkward conversation of telling him my name isn’t Scott, or do I change my name to Scott?

Call him by something that isn't his name, and if he questions it, tell him you don't care.

45 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

My name is quite literally Scott, so maybe we could swap jobs if you fancy doing shitey office admin work if you don't think he'd notice?

I can't cook to save myself if you're also a chef, so that may be a barrier to this plan.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Quite Literally a Poster called Scott

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

A guy at turnstiles at Ochilview has been saying 'alright Bryan?' to me for the last 25 years. 

My name isn't Bryan. It's gone well past the point I can correct him.

11 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

A guy at turnstiles at Ochilview has been saying 'alright Bryan?' to me for the last 25 years. 

I suppose at Ochilview the turnstile operator will know everybody by name.

11 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

A mate of mine used to work in the big DWP building at Northgate, and I met him one day after work in the pub across the road from there...when we walked up to the bar, the barman was like "Alright Peter, how you getting on?"

His name is actually Davie, so it wasn't even close - when I quizzed him about it, it was similar; the guy had been using the wrong name for so long it would have been embarrassing to correct him, so he just went with it.

16 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Tell him something where you quote someone referring to you by name, like "the boss always says" monkman, do some work""

A woman at work very humanely did this for me when i forgot her name. 

How good a chef if he? And how likely does he seem react poorly to the humiliation you intend to bestow on him?

These are the questions you must ask yourself Scotty boy

Mispronounce his name.
Sometimes people misspell my name so I reply back with their name in the same fashion.

Hi Andi

OK Davod

No problem dugloss

Mispronounce his name.
Sometimes people misspell my name so I reply back with their name in the same fashion.

Hi Andi

OK Davod

No problem dugloss
My last workplace did the whole surname forename email in outlook, used to get hi surname a lot.
Anyone who couldn't be bothered reading down to the end, seeing my name at the bottom and starting hi surname, got put on the wait till last moment list.
Luckily there was someone with my surname as a first name in the department and he got a good few confusing calls chasing replies (even though my direct dial was in the signature).
The finance sector has its fair share of idiots