Work colleagues

On 22/06/2020 at 12:32, The Moonster said:

There's a guy in here who does literally no work during the day, one of those guys who is excellent and walking around looking busy but does the square root of f**k all. Anyway, I noticed that he's been signing on in the evenings and sending a couple of emails around midnight. I should be clear that these emails weren't anything more than a staller - "Thanks for your email, we'll check this out and revert to you soon", he's not actually doing any work then either. Soon after my boss pulls us all in and explains that some people in the team have too much work to deal with and have been forced to work from home in the evenings. Yip, this c**t has been doing nothing but building his step count all day, sending a couple of staller emails in the evening then pleading stress to the boss. I have to admit he's played it beautifully and if it didn't mean more work for me I would probably admire him, but ultimately I just want to cave his head in.

That's snidey as f**k. Fuckin stick him in.

On 23/06/2020 at 08:57, steelmen said:

There used to be a complete fantasist in my old work who amongst many, many tales told these 2.

I had not long started, so didn’t know her and she brought in her ‘demo’ tape for everyone to hear. Just a normal clear see through tape. Into the radio/cassette player and it was Whitney Houston’s I will always love you. Few murmurs that it sounded exactly the same as Whitney and people pissing themselves laughing behind her. Got to the end of the ‘demo’ and the radio one jingle came on! She still insisted it was her, it’s just that tape was all they could find.

She was on holiday for 2 weeks and I’m sure the lassie that sat beside her had said she was book to go to Skegness. I had been there for 8-9 months and after the Whitney stuff I had been told everything so everyone was looking forward to her coming back. She came back all excited with some cheap Argos ring on. Apparently she had been to the Bahamas but couldn’t tell us as her new husband was in MI5 and he might have to work when he was there. They got married on the beach but right after he said I do he had to jump in a jet ski to chase someone, he did come back 30 mins later for the first kiss and first dance. He had to keep disappearing during the honeymoon but always came back to her. She wasn’t allowed to change her name as it could lead to him being tracked down.

She actually believed every word she said. I am sure she would pass a lie detector. she was a decent worker and certainly kept up staff morale with her tales.

I love calling these folk oot once you get to know them

On 24/06/2020 at 20:39, Thistle_do_nicely said:

mite b something to do with bennettgate going by the heads gone thread (oaksoft's last activity going by his profile was about 3rd june, bennettgate was about the 4th of june)

What was bennetgate?

22 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Trying to learn how to do a job while working from home is some laugh. It's 50/50 atm whether I give up and stick on Warzone.

Likewise man, a month in, two weeks out of the initial training and waiting for background clearance for the project I'll be on (you could hear them sweat when I said I'd lived in 3 countries within 5 years) so trying to get round all the lingo, systems and processes through web-based learnings is ruining me. Almost starting to miss service sector, here's what to do with your time work 

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

That's snidey as f**k. Fuckin stick him in.

I love calling these folk oot once you get to know them

What was bennetgate?

The gist iirc was a few posters started having digs at him on a thread (can't mind but i think it was the heads gone thread edit: ohh! 90% sure it was George Floyd come to think of it) and he claimed it was affecting his mental health negatively, along with some of the persistent reddies he was getting. Him being seen to be "playing the mental health card" saw some folk double down and accuse him of crying wolf.

Whatever the reality of it was, a fair few posts ended up getting deleted as a result and I'm sure one of the mods made a post advising everyone to start calming down because there had already been a couple of bannings over posts that were made.

edit: I know that's vague but I can't honestly even remember what started it all off before that.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 01/09/2020 at 17:57, NotThePars said:

Trying to learn how to do a job while working from home is some laugh. It's 50/50 atm whether I give up and stick on Warzone.

Much the same, yep. Pretty bad lag on my machine while I've been (genuinely) trying to work away, so stuff that normally would take about 15 minutes is now double that on average, plus I'm rusty as f**k thanks to 4+ months of getting that sweet, sweet furlough money.

Could try calling the support desk about it on my working hours but they've had horrendously long queues recently and I'm not sure it's worth sitting on hold as I can't see them saying "your wi-fi is shite, the company will pay for you to get a far better home broadband connection"

Might just need to see how long I can play the "oh boy my machine is running really slow here guys" card. It's the truth, but I kinda wonder at a certain point if they'll go "er, everyone else is working at a fine speed, why can't you?"

edit: I'm going to try getting all the other devices in the house off the internet tomorrow and see if that helps, but I'm not sure my partner will be thrilled if I tell her she can't watch 90 day fiancee on the kindle for about 8 hours a day.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

6 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Likewise man, a month in, two weeks out of the initial training and waiting for background clearance for the project I'll be on (you could hear them sweat when I said I'd lived in 3 countries within 5 years) so trying to get round all the lingo, systems and processes through web-based learnings is ruining me. Almost starting to miss service sector, here's what to do with your time work 

I've got the impression that the training is normally very adhoc and basically involves watching other people and learning from them which would be normally enough to scrape by but obvs spending one week at home and then the week in the office desperately trying to catch up on months of lost prep means we're scrambling (for relevance!) I know what you mean about missing service sector. Hopefully things pick up for you.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Describe your job and we on P&B will tell you how to do it. Hive mind.

Ensuring justice is served

Once again, someone whose attendance and performance directly affects me is off. It's either because she has to deal with one of two hypochondriac members of her family or one of her ailments flaring up, or it's Flexi taken (which she abuses to feck) or one of any other number of reasons that necessitate her not being in.  Other people just cover and get pissed off; when she comes back in, she'll bitch about the place endlessly, which only pisses people off even more.

I hanker for the golden days when people could be sacked for no reason, let alone being bloody lazy and never in. 

13 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Once again, someone whose attendance and performance directly affects me is off. It's either because she has to deal with one of two hypochondriac members of her family or one of her ailments flaring up, or it's Flexi taken (which she abuses to feck) or one of any other number of reasons that necessitate her not being in.  Other people just cover and get pissed off; when she comes back in, she'll bitch about the place endlessly, which only pisses people off even more.

I hanker for the golden days when people could be sacked for no reason, let alone being bloody lazy and never in. 

There was something to be said for that system, right enough.

22 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Tory scum.

43 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

You don’t work for the NHS do you? This is basically verbatim what used to happen to me when I worked there. Some lassie would only show up 3 days a week if you were lucky and when she was there, she’d take all these half days off via flexi. Christ knows how she got away with it.

I made a formal complaint about her attendance as it meant I had to stay late most days to get the work finished. I was simply told that they were ‘aware of the situation’ and that it was ‘in hand’. 

This went on for 18 months and nothing was ever done about it.  I made the point that if she worked in the private sector she’d be unemployed. I also put it to the bosses that if she had to keep taking days off to look after family members then she should be asked to resign and become a full time carer and we should get someone in who can actually work a full week. 

This was 2012-13 and I’m still seething about it. She probably still fucking works there.

Someone at my work works maybe ten to fifteen full weeks a year. Even then does about a quarter of the work of others and that mostly needs redone.
Month off sick or half days/dentist. Sick days on a Monday after posting drinking pics and holiday pics on Facebook.
Was friends with a directors pal though so all ignored.
Does my head in.

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

There's someone at work who always refers to (Microsoft) Teams in written communication as TEAMS. No idea why she always capitalises it but it slightly irritates me.

Maybe she doesn't like it and is using angry caps lock to consume her rage.

14 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Work is getting a refit. Shit load going on and starts in October. Ffs 

Xmas time will be a good laugh.

Only 6 staff are still under furlough. ( 3 are pregnant)  so more or less everything back to normal. Nearly back to being open to 24/7 eh reckon 

The refit team will come in and do all the work for you though, and it's not like they ever get anything wrong.

Much the same, yep. Pretty bad lag on my machine while I've been (genuinely) trying to work away, so stuff that normally would take about 15 minutes is now double that on average, plus I'm rusty as f**k thanks to 4+ months of getting that sweet, sweet furlough money.
Could try calling the support desk about it on my working hours but they've had horrendously long queues recently and I'm not sure it's worth sitting on hold as I can't see them saying "your wi-fi is shite, the company will pay for you to get a far better home broadband connection"
Might just need to see how long I can play the "oh boy my machine is running really slow here guys" card. It's the truth, but I kinda wonder at a certain point if they'll go "er, everyone else is working at a fine speed, why can't you?"
edit: I'm going to try getting all the other devices in the house off the internet tomorrow and see if that helps, but I'm not sure my partner will be thrilled if I tell her she can't watch 90 day fiancee on the kindle for about 8 hours a day.
Do you work on a vpn?
Take a before log in speed test and after.
Our old vpn was completely incapable of handling us working from home
Pre speeds of 140 down 30 up and a ping of 9 dropped to 3 down, under 1 up and 90 seconds ping

The new one is better and also allows you pick a gateway (handy if it turns out your local gateway is beansed and another nearby one isn't)

If its the vpn then log a ticket with IT, they can probably do nothing for you but it would cover your ass if brought up.

The other thing to look at (and I think some providers will help with this) is isolating a connection just for your laptop.
Some in my work had to get the 5ghz band earmarked soley for their laptop whilst the 2.4 was left for everything else.

The joys of 6 months of this wfh pish

15 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Our wi-fi wasn't working properly when more than one device was using it, so I phoned our provider, Talk Talk, and they put us on super fibre mega fast or whatever it's called and sorted out a cheaper bundle so it cost less than we were paying before. No problems now, even with multiple people streaming.