Work colleagues

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

And didn't do so for some 50 years...

If this is a reference to P&B starting and us all being tubes, well played.

17 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I might have mentioned her on here before...she's the one that is part time and refuses to answer emails that happen to arrive in her inbox on one of her non-working days.

12 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I'm maybe explaining it badly...they come in on her day off and when she comes back in she refuses to answer them BECAUSE they came in on her day off.

I'm confused here - did anybody genuinely not understand what was meant first time round? Or is Hillonearth being whooshed?

6 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I'm confused here - did anybody genuinely not understand what was meant first time round? Or is Hillonearth being whooshed?

Nobody should have to be answering emails on their day off TBF. lol

8 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I did wonder if that were the case - there were certainly shades of the circular conversations she'd had with her boss at some points!

Or maybe it's it's not just her.

The questioner is called donathan, seems eerily like the name of the chief puddle drinker, l4l

Has been confirmed the company will keep us on furlough until September if needed, as well as topping our wages up to 100% if we're not all back in the office before then. Eases any worry of getting punted imminently and I guess means I'm either back to working my normal shifts in July/August (booooo, but at least my wages will be back to normal) or still on furlough but my wage is back to normal pre-lockdown levels (yaaaay)

Office will be ready to reopen in July but our department isn't due to go back straight away, guess it makes it harder to maintain distancing etc. in the office space if we're all back in at once plus they might not even need us all back in tbh. Dunno if they'll do that rotational furlough thingy 🤔

Unironically considering some kind of driving related job as I reckon that'd be more my thing than any office based work but that's probably for another post. Saw there were some community meals driver jobs going in Paisley which would mean a (fairly slight tbf) wage drop but sounds like far more valuable work than the shite I'm doing now.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Are you allowed to get another job while onfurlough?

Can only go on personal experience, but when my partner was furloughed from her retail job (she was at one of the shops at a train station which due to lockdown lost almost all of its footfall and ended up shutting) the email she got basically said "yeah if you want another job then cool, go for it but you do need to be able to return to work for us when we give you the requisite notice"

My email for my pishy office based job by comparison had a stricter tone that was along the lines of "You must not take another job without seeking prior approval from our HR department, please speak to HR if you wish to take on alternative employment while on furlough" which I kinda assumed was there in case you go off to work at a competitor that wasn't furloughing to the same extent. This kinda put me off looking for anything else just now as it's another hoop to jump through on top of applying, interviewing and all that jazz while I'm getting by ok with my furlough monies.

Are you allowed to get another job while onfurlough?
Yes, my work has a load of temp mechanics at the moment who have been furloughed from elsewhere. They had to sign a contract though stating they will return to their original jobs as soon as they ask for them back.

32 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Some walter Mitty type at work came out with a cracker about how he plays rugby as a number seven and is a scrum half.

What a total flanker

I worked beside a guy like that. Everybody called him "Ferdinand" behind his back (from "The Staggering Stories of Ferdinand de Bargos"/ He once claimed that his uncle had invented the "round objects" Civil Service joke.*

*Guy receives a memo which he thinks is complete shite. He doesn't want to write "BALLS!" on it so he writes "ROUND OBJECTS!" instead and sends it back. Memo comes back again the next day with the query "Who is Round, and to what does he object?" It was used in an episode of Yes, Minister.

Maybe he plays league?
Possibly but hes just that type of bullshitter.
Has said hes an engineer when hes been at college for six months and thinks hes mike Tyson despite being about eight stone. Kind of hope he does play rugby and gets sparked out by some big lummox

56 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Dealing with any e-mails from in over the weekend and have noticed my colleague sending e-mails at 6:30 on a Sunday morning

There's a guy in here who does literally no work during the day, one of those guys who is excellent and walking around looking busy but does the square root of f**k all. Anyway, I noticed that he's been signing on in the evenings and sending a couple of emails around midnight. I should be clear that these emails weren't anything more than a staller - "Thanks for your email, we'll check this out and revert to you soon", he's not actually doing any work then either. Soon after my boss pulls us all in and explains that some people in the team have too much work to deal with and have been forced to work from home in the evenings. Yip, this c**t has been doing nothing but building his step count all day, sending a couple of staller emails in the evening then pleading stress to the boss. I have to admit he's played it beautifully and if it didn't mean more work for me I would probably admire him, but ultimately I just want to cave his head in.

On 19/06/2020 at 12:50, GordonD said:

I worked beside a guy like that. Everybody called him "Ferdinand" behind his back (from "The Staggering Stories of Ferdinand de Bargos"/ He once claimed that his uncle had invented the "round objects" Civil Service joke.*

*Guy receives a memo which he thinks is complete shite. He doesn't want to write "BALLS!" on it so he writes "ROUND OBJECTS!" instead and sends it back. Memo comes back again the next day with the query "Who is Round, and to what does he object?" It was used in an episode of Yes, Minister.

A guy I used to work with was just short of 40 was 5' 7" and must have weighed 22 stone. He told us he was an athlete before he did both his knees in. One was a bad landing in a parachute jump and the other when he fell when "downhill mountainbiking". On our sports day I had his company when we were setting up the hurdles on the track. He was telling me that he was the fastest sprinter in his schooldays by a mile but he wasn't any good at hurdles. "But I was so strong that I just ran straight through the hurdles knocking them over. Still finished 2nd or 3rd"....in a cockney accent to compound the felony!

In his second year we had one of those daft team icebreaker things to get to know new staff where there are a list of achievements like 

1. I have baked a cake. 2. I can speak more than two languages. 3. I can recite pythagoras' theorom. 4. I have owned a motorbike, etc

There were about 10 things on the list and you had to wander around the room and find someone who had achieved one of the list and tick it off. Everyone stood up and started walking around. I approached (for the purposes of this I'll call him Dan also because that's his name) who was sat slouched in his chair like David Brent. Before I opened my mouth to speak he said to me "All of 'em. Which one do you want!"

He got sacked that year. To be 100% honest I actually missed him because his lies were funny.