Work colleagues

Up to recently, I had a colleague in his sixties who would vocalize every keyboard shortcut he was using. I'd be sitting, minding my own business and over the wall I'd hear him, "Control C ... Control A ... Control V ... Control Shift Down ..."

If that wasn't annoying enough, I suspected for a while that due to his hitting his keyboard in rage when the Control V didn't do what he expected it to do, shouting at other colleagues, there was a non-negligible chance that sooner or later he'd bring a gun to work.

Eventually he was fired for falling asleep at his desk for the umpteenth time and after he left, HR found "gentlemen's periodicals" inside financial magazine covers in his desk drawer.

Some boi.

Exactly. I know her boss has tried to have it out with her many times...
"What have you done with X?"
"Oh, that came in on a Friday"
"You still need to answer it"
"But I don't work Fridays..."
And so on.

Pretty simple “yes, but you’re working now and as such can answer it now” should suffice

I got a stream of abuse and invective from one of our finance guys las week, in front of my manager and with customers in the showroom, purely because my customer didn’t want to put a deposit on the car he was coming in to buy the following day!

Did I get the sale? Yes.
Did I get an apology? What do you think?

Sooner I can gtfo of car sales the better

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I don't if I'm missing something here but surely he meant the cable from your modem to router or your power cable or something?

It's wifi - no cable connection required. He's an absolute IT moron so I don't believe he even meant the power cable.

Those who cannot and will not learn to work computers to a basic competence at an office related job should be cleared out.
Absolute waste of time and resources, if not sitting there absolutely glaikit at username and password, they are then disturbing everyone else with their inherent mooing about not being able to do anything and if anyone else is incapable of remembering a user id and passwords

I have not been in the office for 14 weeks and this still boils my piss

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

often folk get absolutely zero meaningful IT training tbh. My industry has sneaked in more and more PC based stuff for my role, fucking nonsense spreadsheets and the like, never once across various workplaces have I been taught anything by anyone.

I think they assume you'll be taught all about "computer stuff" at school. It'll be hit-and-miss whether anyone now older than mid-forties will have had any computer experience back then. The IT experience I got at school is, and was at the time, useless, as every IT teacher I had seemed to have been moved over from trade classes and barely knew how to switch the machines on. Entire years spent typing out documents, without the touch-typing instruction to make it useful, before pissing around with basic games on BBC Micro/RM Nimbus computers.

I turn positively verdant when I hear middle-aged men talking about how they learned to program at school, as they had a teacher who actually gave a f**k/knew what they were doing. I understand the kids these days can take Microsoft/CompTIA/Cisco certification exams as part of their schooling. Seriously tempted to join the miserable auld b*****d, I-never-had-that-so-the-weans-shouldn't-either, brigade.

58 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

It's that kind of wilful ignorance that they almost wear as a badge of pride - "You'll never be able to teach me how to do THAT..." almost as if currently not understanding and continuing not to is something to be aspired to.

We've got one in our place  - older wifie that just gives you that blank bovine stare when you're trying to show her how to do something. Her boss is at his wits' end with her with and I reckon only her imminent retirement is what's preventing him throwing the book at her. I might have mentioned her on here before...she's the one that is part time and refuses to answer emails that happen to arrive in her inbox on one of her non-working days.

When we got laptops delivered to our homes a week or so into lockdown predictably it took her a further ten days to work out how to switch the thing on.

I got an email from my colleague out of that mould earlier. I was thinking of sending it to Bletchley Park to decipher.

It started with "mor9nin" and fell away after that. I point blank refuse to speak to her and it took me 4 emails to get her to understand the task she should carry out. 

59 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Exactly. I know her boss has tried to have it out with her many times...

"What have you done with X?"

"Oh, that came in on a Friday"

"You still need to answer it"

"But I don't work Fridays..."

And so on.

This is absolutely terrific. Ask her if she'd like to supply 12 different poses for my next years calendar as she's now my fucking hero. 

52 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

This is absolutely terrific. Ask her if she'd like to supply 12 different poses for my next years calendar as she's now my fucking hero. 

Trust me - you wouldn't want that on your wall.

Having said that she's either an evil genius or she's so dim that one day she'll forget to keep breathing.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

That's nuts. Is there not a million folk complaining she's ignoring them?

I'd imagine so. I know my immediate boss was one of them....he was complaining about not hearing back from her about something:

"Bet you sent the email on a Friday"

"How did you know that?"

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

I got a stream of abuse and invective from one of our finance guys las week, in front of my manager and with customers in the showroom, purely because my customer didn’t want to put a deposit on the car he was coming in to buy the following day!

Did I get the sale? Yes.
Did I get an apology? What do you think?

Sooner I can gtfo of car sales the better

Not getting a customer to put down a deposit on a car they’re going to buy the next day is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. 

When I worked in IT, I always got people saying ‘sorry I’m rubbish with technology hahahahahahaja’ 

Ah ok, you’ve only worked in an office, with a PC, for over a decade. Please don’t waste my time telling me you don’t know how to right click a mouse and select Properties.

Got a new boss, who happens to be French and by all accounts isn’t really up to speed with English yet. When he was getting shown around, he was brought into the office me and my supervisor sit. He was introduced to us by name, after which he made a weird grunting noise, had a look about the room and walked out. Strange.

16 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Got a new boss, who happens to be French and by all accounts isn’t really up to speed with English yet. When he was getting shown around, he was brought into the office me and my supervisor sit. He was introduced to us by name, after which he made a weird grunting noise, had a look about the room and walked out. Strange.

Are you sure he wasn't just speaking in French?

530940290_giphy(11).gif.cd6860abf0723b23cfb1db1c47462ff3.gif

We've got one in our place  - older wifie that just gives you that blank bovine stare when you're trying to show her how to do something. Her boss is at his wits' end with her with and I reckon only her imminent retirement is what's preventing him throwing the book at her. I might have mentioned her on here before...she's the one that is part time and refuses to answer emails that happen to arrive in her inbox on one of her non-working days.

Why would you expect anyone to answer emails on their day off?

8 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Why would you expect anyone to answer emails on their day off?

I'm maybe explaining it badly...they come in on her day off and when she comes back in she refuses to answer them BECAUSE they came in on her day off.