Work colleagues

11 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Also a higher percentage of employees in unions in the public sector. Not coincidental

That's the big difference, quite obviously.

10 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Sorry for having rights guv. We are lucky to have a job, no need for wages, times are tough for the millionaires.

That would have been David Frost levels of satire if he hadn't explicitly excluded global plcs

Amazing all the workers on here that clearly would love to stay on furlough for say 2 years and then demand 10 weeks holiday the day they got back.
Might be time for employers to set up a c**t employees thread on here [emoji23]

Amazing all the workers on here that clearly would love to stay on furlough for say 2 years and then demand 10 weeks holiday the day they got back.
Might be time for employers to set up a c**t employees thread on here [emoji23]
You mean you find it amazing that people want what they are contractually entitled to?

You mean you find it amazing that people want what they are contractually entitled to?
Where have I said that ?  

They would get there 10 weeks while furloughed at full pay.

As they are entitled to

This a job retention scheme. Clue in title.

Where have I said that ?  They would get there 10 weeks while furloughed at full pay.
As they are entitled to

This a job retention scheme. Clue in title.

You have used an extreme example to highlight how ridiculous it is that folk on this thread want their holidays, or at least dont want the pish ripped out them.

We’ve been told we have to have a weeks shutdown in July and every Friday off as a holiday until the end of September until we run out of holidays then gradually we all come back to work as you run out, leaving everyone with no holidays October - December, as you can imagine the atmosphere is foul but it seems to be the only way the company say they can get by without redundancies, in reality it’s just so when it’s busy at the end of the year everyone is stuck at work.

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

We’ve been told we have to have a weeks shutdown in July and every Friday off as a holiday until the end of September until we run out of holidays then gradually we all come back to work as you run out, leaving everyone with no holidays October - December, as you can imagine the atmosphere is foul but it seems to be the only way the company say they can get by without redundancies, in reality it’s just so when it’s busy at the end of the year everyone is stuck at work.

Okay, that is an absolute joke and should see a mass exodus as soon as people are able to leave and get a job elsewhere.

57 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Take your redundancy and try your hand elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Okay, that is an absolute joke and should see a mass exodus as soon as people are able to leave and get a job elsewhere.

Because there will be businesses all over the country desperate to take on new staff.

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

aye but if you're using annual leave for the 5th day, it still costs the company money because you get paid for the day. How is this helping them stave off redundancy? It sounds more like they don't want you to take time off when they have work to do, perhaps because they've only got just enough staff to manage?

It then saves them that pay though. If they didn’t force the day off they’d have to pay them for it, then also put that day again as leave at a future date. So by forcing the leave they are saving that day’s pay. It’s really poor.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Because there will be businesses all over the country desperate to take on new staff.

Precisely why I stated “as soon as people are able to leave and get a job elsewhere”, not “leave straight away and try to get a job elsewhere”.

Try reading posts before responding.

The anxiety over the work situation is really starting to get me down, I feel I should be happier that I seem to be with a decent company thats happy to pay me in full for having so little work to do right now but I'm feeling constantly anxious that I've not got enough to do and all the people paid more than I am are taking forever to reply to e-mails that would help me continue to do my job.

This feels like the first day of the lockdown where I've felt properly fed up

I must be daft as I'm still not getting it. If I'm being told when I go back to work I have to take fridays off, I'm still being paid for the fridays, no?

If you work it, you get paid and have +1 holiday to take when you want.
If you take a holiday you get paid but don’t have the day holiday to take when you want.
It doesn’t save the company anything but prevents you using your holiday when you want to.

I must be daft as I'm still not getting it. If I'm being told when I go back to work I have to take fridays off, I'm still being paid for the fridays, no?

Maybe the company has other costs associating with operating. So it might cost them money to have a site open, even before they pay staff. So if they move to a four day week from a five they’ll cut those costs by 20%, even if they still have to pay staff who are on leave.

As a puny white collar desk jockey I don’t know that much about actual productive work of course, but when I was a student etc I would work in labouring jobs and one was in a mill. They certainly had costs that needed covered to even open the gates, like fuel, power, the minimum staff needed onsite even if no-one else was there.

My works holiday year ends at the end of June and they’ve not allowed any additional carry over of leave. I’m off s few days this week and in subsequent weeks just to use up my holidays. They have also allowed staff to take Covid days if they have childcare requirements or need to homeschool.

6 hours ago, superbigal said:

Might be time for employers to set up a c**t employees thread on here emoji23.png

My sister in law was off for 12 months on maternity leave and then used her entire annual leave for the year to have another month at the end. Which she was perfectly entitled do.

20 hours ago, Hauzen said:

All these folk bumping their gums about taking annual leave when there's nowhere to go... want your leave given back because it's fucking raining too?

Would make sense if nobody went anywhere or did anything when it was raining. Also dunno about you but I generally use my annual leave to get the f**k out of this country for a bit, generally to somewhere less wet. 

This subject has fair weeded out the Tories on the forum anyway.

20 hours ago, Hauzen said:

All these folk bumping their gums about taking annual leave when there's nowhere to go... want your leave given back because it's fucking raining too?

I want my leave, or the financial equivalent, guaranteed whether I take it or not

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I want my leave, or the financial equivalent, guaranteed whether I take it or not

Yikes, the lack of understanding of working time regulations regarding annual leave is staggering. No wonder folk are getting their panties in a twist.