Work colleagues

When I worked in Jersey any holidays you hadn't taken by the end of the year were paid to you. Had guys over from Portugal working 12 hour days 7 days a week without a day off and pocketing a small fortune in holiday pay at the end of the year. Can't fathom why this isn't set as law. You get are entitled to the holidays so either take them or get paid for them.

When I worked in Jersey any holidays you hadn't taken by the end of the year were paid to you. Had guys over from Portugal working 12 hour days 7 days a week without a day off and pocketing a small fortune in holiday pay at the end of the year. Can't fathom why this isn't set as law. You get are entitled to the holidays so either take them or get paid for them.
The company I work for allow us to do this or carry over, I usually cash about 15 days each year it's a decent little bonus

51 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Reading this thread really does make me thankful I work for the public sector. They're far from perfect but some of the cowboy shit people are talking about really is shocking. Couldn't imagine working for one of these fly-by-night operations. 

For what it's worth, I've taken quite a lot of time off over lockdown. We've been snowed under so my flexi balance has been taking a battering and I've had to take the time back. Had a week's annual leave already booked that I thought I might as well take too. Was one of the best weeks off I've had for ages tbh, just kicking about the house, doing loads of cooking, watching films, reading etc. 

Me and the missus both said the same thing about being thankful for being public sector. Like you say, public sector is far from perfect but when you hear the pish some employers are trying to pull, or the amount of folk who have  lost or are likely to lose their jobs. Makes you grateful.

Forcing people to take annual leave when they were furloughed anyway is pretty shady but employers have to try and manage leave so that it isn't all outstanding at the tail end of the year.

I have a department of 10 and have had to encourage people to make sure they have taken at least 25% of their annual leave by the end of June, meaning that, on average, there will be one and a bit members off each week for the rest of the year. That's manageable but much more wouldn't be given our sector has pretty much shut down the last 3 months and there will be a big backlog to work through. Expecting people to be busy with all their own work and covering that of others constantly isn't reasonable.

8 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Forcing people to take annual leave when they were furloughed anyway is pretty shady but employers have to try and manage leave so that it isn't all outstanding at the tail end of the year.

I have a department of 10 and have had to encourage people to make sure they have taken at least 25% of their annual leave by the end of June, meaning that, on average, there will be one and a bit members off each week for the rest of the year. That's manageable but much more wouldn't be given our sector has pretty much shut down the last 3 months and there will be a big backlog to work through. Expecting people to be busy with all their own work and covering that of others constantly isn't reasonable.

Is there any practical reason why you couldn't let it roll over till next year or count it as double pay if they work though it? Assuming that they'd have to space out next year's holidays too.

Edited by welshbairn

I've been working from home throughout and taking holidays and flexi time on much the same basis as before, trying to work in to as many long weekends as possible. It's harder to keep track of the rest of the lazy b*****ds who will now miraculously be working 12 hour days, never sick, and hoarding holidays and time, but I know it's happening.

It's worth repeating, if I ever see any of them again it'll be a day too soon.

After the year end we’ve now been asked to do an appraisal that has zero consequences as we’ve passed the timescale due to covid and furlough.

Basically just asked why they lied about career advancement without saying they lied. It felt great, don’t care as there’s zero financial consequences and another year until the next one. Copied and pasted the actual quotes and everything from emails. It needs to go through HR as well so they will see that they’ve been shits about it.

Edited by D.A.F.C

Is there any practical reason why you couldn't let it roll over till next year or count it as double pay if they work though it? Assuming that they'd have to space out next year's holidays too.
I could see the odd day getting rolled over if it was taken in January but you just shift the issue back if it's a significant amount. Buy back obviously costs money when budgets are going to be tight.

It helps to have a decent relationship with colleagues and explain the situation and how its being managed. Like I said, its shady furloughing people and then demanding all furlough to count as annual leave. Hardly anyone at my place has been furloughed although I wouldn't have minded it for a few weeks.

Don’t want to get all oaksofty here but there’s got to be some acknowledgement of the employers’* situation surely? 

Arbitrarily let’s say everyone’s back at work end of September. Sweeping generalisations now follow for the sake of brevity. 

The employer is then playing either mad catch up to cope with the previous 6 months‘ backlog or furious scraping about to get the business back up to approaching something like sustainable but their workforce decide they want their 4 weeks’ holiday entitlement in the following 3 months? Surely it can be seen how that just doesn’t work? 

A place I used to work had a loose rule it was a week in the spring, a fortnight in the summer and a week in the autumn. Seemed perfectly fair to me. Asking people to burn holidays in relation to the calendar year doesn’t seem the most heinous of employment crimes, particularly if you’re furloughed and sitting on your arse anyway. 

Not a huge leap of faith to suggest that when the inevitable redundancies start happening it’ll be the same characters on here telling us it’s all the fault of the big bad bosses’ mismanagement. 

*and when I say ‘employers‘ I don’t mean global plc’s like the financial services sector etc, more like those run by @Granny Danger or that  @philpy works for. 

Edited by alta-pete

36 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Don’t want to get all oaksofty here but there’s got to be some acknowledgement of the employers’* situation surely? 

Arbitrarily let’s say everyone’s back at work end of September. Sweeping generalisations now follow for the sake of brevity. 

The employer is then playing either mad catch up to cope with the previous 6 months‘ backlog or furious scraping about to get the business back up to approaching something like sustainable but their workforce decide they want their 4 weeks’ holiday entitlement in the following 3 months? Surely it can be seen how that just doesn’t work? 

A place I used to work had a loose rule it was a week in the spring, a fortnight in the summer and a week in the autumn. Seemed perfectly fair to me. Asking people to burn holidays in relation to the calendar year doesn’t seem the most heinous of employment crimes, particularly if you’re furloughed and sitting on your arse anyway. 

Not a huge leap of faith to suggest that when the inevitable redundancies start happening it’ll be the same characters on here telling us it’s all the fault of the big bad bosses’ mismanagement. 

*and when I say ‘employers‘ I don’t mean global plc’s like the financial services sector etc, more like those run by @Granny Danger or that  @philpy works for. 

Sorry for having rights guv. We are lucky to have a job, no need for wages, times are tough for the millionaires.

*and when I say ‘employers‘ I don’t mean global plc’s like the financial services sector etc, more like those run by [mention=22765]Granny Danger[/mention] or that  [mention=7178]philpy[/mention] works for. 
Time = Money.

50 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

I could see the odd day getting rolled over if it was taken in January but you just shift the issue back if it's a significant amount. Buy back obviously costs money when budgets are going to be tight.

It helps to have a decent relationship with colleagues and explain the situation and how its being managed. Like I said, its shady furloughing people and then demanding all furlough to count as annual leave. Hardly anyone at my place has been furloughed although I wouldn't have minded it for a few weeks.

Fair enough, but if they were willing to cooperate and spread it out, it shouldn't be impossible to have longer holidays next year instead of taking them when there's nowhere to go.

This is the case for me. I believe the guidance has been changed. I've been furloughed for 12 weeks now but going back to work on Friday to give some staff a well due break. Those who have been working throughout are now being put onto the furlough scheme within the next week(s), otherwise they won't be eligible at all.
I'm not sure how it works with rotational furlough, I was told that they weren't allowed to do that at the beginning but it seems that the situation has changed in the last fortnight and that's the plan with me. Work some weeks, off others.

Not sure if this has been answered but as long as you have been furloughed for a minimum of three weeks then you can be rotated on and off after this

Why should anyone take annual leave during a pandemic and not be able to get some quality time away from work later in the year, if they so desire? Employers need to do more for their employees, not the other way round. 

Depends how your employer has treated you during furlough. If they have been topping up your wages to 100% whilst essentially getting a three months “holiday” then i dont think it’s unreasonable for them to ask you to use up some annual leave

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

I think there’s definitely a balance to be struck. As you say, I think it’s a bit shite on a small business for an employee to be furloughed for a few months and refuse to take any holidays so they can all be used immediately after the furlough period is over. Particularly if that business has been topping up their wages to 100%.