Work colleagues

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Fixed

Amen brother. To me unionisation is the big thing. When the Tories come to power it's the first thing they attack. CS unions are pretty weak but far far better than not having them at all. They introduced a rule that the union must  get over 50% of actual union members before the vote is legal (Scottish referendum 1979, anyone!) but obviously that doesn't apply to them and Johnson's 'landslide' election victory.

6 minutes ago, I am Partacus said:

Amen brother. To me unionisation is the big thing. When the Tories come to power it's the first thing they attack. CS unions are pretty weak but far far better than not having them at all. They introduced a rule that the union must  get over 50% of actual union members before the vote is legal (Scottish referendum 1979, anyone!) but obviously that doesn't apply to them and Johnson's 'landslide' election victory.

Or Brexit - 38% voted to come out.

Convinced the image of the public sector as full of workshy lazy b*****ds comes from people who've never been in a unionised workforce & view working flat out all day under the stern gaze of a boss as normal. Hardly surprising when the papers are full of the usual militant unions chat about teachers.
I'm sure they deserve the incoming pay freeze for the next ten years as well.
Yes they get good holidays but I know someone who works in the civil service and they get absolutely nothing. Not even pens or post it notes.
Its not the easy ride like it was decades ago.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I know someone who works in the civil service and they get absolutely nothing. Not even pens or post it notes.

They aren't supplied with equipment to do their job? (I've no idea why post it notes are needed, tbf) 

They just shouldn't do anything. 

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Convinced the image of the public sector as full of workshy lazy b*****ds comes from people who've never been in a unionised workforce & view working flat out all day under the stern gaze of a boss as normal. Hardly surprising when the papers are full of the usual militant unions chat about teachers.

It’s a very skewed view.  There are workshy lazy b*****ds in all walk of life.

34 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Yes they get good holidays but I know someone who works in the civil service and they get absolutely nothing. Not even pens or post it notes.

We got a 2% wage rise this year. This was the biggest in a decade ( for many years we got nothing). Trouble was that for many, due to an increase in pension contributions, it actually resulted in a pay cut. Re the sarky comment about post-it notes, it's quite common to see people bring in their own stationery and cleaning materials for their desk.

Whit?
No "good" employer would EXPECT this.
Well, they realised they were asking alot and let you away when it was quiet.
Theres firms out there asking for seven days with zero hour contracts then let you go after a busy period.

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Between 2008 and 2016 i took a real terms pay cut in take home of ~20% due to "pay restraint" in the civil service and still ended up putting in regular 50 hour weeks*.

It would have been much worse if it wasn't for the unions. 

*admittedly several of these hours may have been spent in bars near stations waiting for pre booked off peak trains. 

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Between 2008 and 2016 i took a real terms pay cut in take home of ~20% due to "pay restraint" in the civil service and still ended up putting in regular 50 hour weeks*.

It would have been much worse if it wasn't for the unions. 

*admittedly several of these hours may have been spent in bars near stations waiting for pre booked off peak trains. 

WFH could be an equitable solution to civil service pay. I could cope with 1% pay rises a bit better if my commute and travel expenses were drastically reduced.

Working in car sales for the moment, we’re expected to make a certain number of calls per day, I understand that.

Twat beside me makes ALL his calls using the speaker turned up full volume and fukking shouts into it all day. This includes his personal calls as well.
Calls his girlfriend “my lady” so definitely OFTW anyway, but am I justified in ramming his phone up his arse?

I have mentioned that he’s loud but hours in one ear and out the other [emoji37]

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

Working in car sales for the moment, we’re expected to make a certain number of calls per day, I understand that.

Twat beside me makes ALL his calls using the speaker turned up full volume and fukking shouts into it all day. This includes his personal calls as well.
Calls his girlfriend “my lady” so definitely OFTW anyway, but am I justified in ramming his phone up his arse?

I have mentioned that he’s loud but hours in one ear and out the other emoji37.png

Has anyone actually bought a car since the lockdown?

They aren't supplied with equipment to do their job? (I've no idea why post it notes are needed, tbf) 
I've got a mate that cuts down trees for a living and he has to buy all his safety equipment as well as a chainsaw from his own pocket.

16 minutes ago, microdave said:
10 hours ago, Dele said:

I've got a mate that cuts down trees for a living and he has to buy all his safety equipment as well as a chainsaw from his own pocket.

Is he  a contractor or reimbursed? 

Neither. He's an employee. Don't get me wrong, he's happy to do so as it means he gets to choose his equipment. I was just pointing out that not everyone is supplied with what they need to do their job by their employer.

14 minutes ago, microdave said:
43 minutes ago, Dele said:

Neither. He's an employee. Don't get me wrong, he's happy to do so as it means he gets to choose his equipment. 

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

20 minutes ago, microdave said:
48 minutes ago, Dele said:

Neither. He's an employee. Don't get me wrong, he's happy to do so as it means he gets to choose his equipment. I was just pointing out that not everyone is supplied with what they need to do their job by their employer.

He can claim the cost of buying tools and equipment off his tax.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

He can claim the cost of buying tools and equipment off his tax.

He might do that. I don't pry tbh since he's a big boy that can look after himself. I buy myself pens about once a year, so I might look into that😂

1 hour ago, microdave said:

I’ve got a mate that cuts down trees for a living and he has to buy all his safety equipment as well as a chainsaw from his own pocket.

I wouldn’t keep a chainsaw in my pocket, but then again I’m not a professional lumberjack.