Work colleagues

Sure you can. What is there to stop me from sacking a member of staff engaging in destructive behaviour which is listed as gross misconduct in their employment contract?

Well i assume that the guys boss approved his holidays before he took them. Aye he wound up his fellow employees but it is hardly a sackable offence

This is what I dislike about management, they can’t see the hypocrisy most of the time.

Sack everyone for a banter email but then lose an employee tribunal because it’s ok to lose staff. Who is causing the most destruction? Certainly not the person who sent an email. Lose a tribunal, interview new employees, train. I would say that would cost a lot more than a lassie being a bit annoyed about an email. HR are just lapdogs though and buy their BS.

TBF, if I had sent a GIRFUY email like that, I'd be expecting a wee "Don't be a dick" chat on my return

This. Especially since it’s going to cause grief for the boss and that’s never a good idea.

It is funny though and to be honest, the colleague who is kicking off about a decision that was a decision by the management is worse, it’s extremely unprofessional to shout your mouth off about someone else being off. She needs a word as well.

How exactly would you do that? [emoji38]
That's your ego flexing a muscle.
Nope. It isn't at all. Theres no ego involved. It just so happens that I have a lifelong hardon for getting it right up over zealous employers and have absolutely no issue standing up for myself in that particular walk of life.

Since you are evidently stupid and arrogant enough to think you can just bag folk as and when you please simply because you own a business (every business is owned by someone) its hardly a stretch for me to assume you would be easily handled.

If I was Bustas boss I’d be giving him a wee chat, simply asking him no to be a dick about it next time.

However the person still ranting over it would be getting told to stop acting unprofessional immediately.

5 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

This is what I dislike about management, they can’t see the hypocrisy most of the time.

Sack everyone for a banter email but then lose an employee tribunal because it’s ok to lose staff. Who is causing the most destruction? Certainly not the person who sent an email. Lose a tribunal, interview new employees, train. I would say that would cost a lot more than a lassie being a bit annoyed about an email. HR are just lapdogs though and buy their BS.

If you believe oaksoft is managing anything, you’ve lost it.

4 hours ago, mizfit said:

If I was Bustas boss I’d be giving him a wee chat, simply asking him no to be a dick about it next time.

However the person still ranting over it would be getting told to stop acting unprofessional immediately.

Yeah definitely. As funny as I’ve found it, I’d be quite annoyed that someone had caused me extra unnecessary hassle at Christmas time by sending an email like that and would be getting them telt when they came back. But I’d also be telling the ones complaining about it to grow up and get on with it.

Was enjoying reading through this thread until Oaksoft got involved. If he's such a boring killjoy online then it doesn't bear thinking about how tedious it must be to know him in real life. Genuinely hope he is just an adult Jay from The Inbetweeners and doesn't actually have any power or I pity his staff.

14 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Dear God, you can't be taking this shite seriously?

On 23/12/2019 at 15:34, Busta Nut said:

It was along those lines and contained pictures of Batman, Hank Hill, Victor McDade. all christmasy except Victor who was doing the "get it round ye"

I'm sort of torn on this (think it's due to the fact there's not really much of a view into exactly what your work dynamic is like or exactly what's gone on beyond someone being unhappy that you've got time off and they haven't when for all I know she might have a dying relative she wants to spend time with) and in all likelihood I think I'd lean towards seeing the funny side if you were a colleague of mine but (fittingly given the mention of Victor) it does feel a bit like you're close to venturing into Chewin' the Fat "you've taken that too far" territory.

There's often no harm in being conciliatory, especially when it's something which could escalate very rapidly into never-ending petty tit-for-tat shite that just brews resentment and ends up with folk feeling like they have to choose sides.

edit: with regard to her wanting to put in an official complaint - it sounds from the other posts that it should be a fairly straightforward case for the management of going "Busta Nut asked us about finding a solution to not having to work certain shifts due to difficulties with public transport and we agreed, here's a copy of our company policy that you can trawl through if you can be arsed" and then trying to draw a line under it. Doesn't sound like it needs anything beyond that tbh.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

3 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

for all I know she might have a dying relative she wants to spend time with

Bit of an extreme take.:lol: Working the system to do extra weekends before Christmas to qualify for the time off and then teasing your colleagues for not thinking of it is harmless fun and good for morale imo, and indicative of strategic thinking and willingness to sacrifice for future reward. Busta will go far imo.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Bit of an extreme take.:lol: Working the system to do extra weekends before Christmas to qualify for the time off and then teasing your colleagues for not thinking of it is harmless fun and good for morale imo, and indicative of strategic thinking and willingness to sacrifice for future reward. Busta will go far imo.

I did think that when I typed it out and was toying with taking it out - tbh I mainly flung it in as a gentle wee "two sides to every story" thing.

I always mind hearing at a prior job that someone had apparently went absolutely mental one year at the idea of taking part in the Secret Santa, storming off in a bit of a huff and a few folk were going "why are they being so shitty over this, it's only a tenner", with it later transpiring a few weeks later that they were in fact absolutely baw deep in £thousands of gambling debt, hence the reaction.

Chances are the woman is just venting out of frustration, but there's always a chance there's more behind it and getting a GIRUY email doesn't help.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

16 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’ve only gone back 5 or so pages so I don’t know if I’m missing some sort of backstory or context to this, but to me @Busta Nut looks like a knob with that email.

Yup. Not only ruined it for himself but for everyone else with his cheap shot. I wouldn't want to be him needing a favour at work anytime soon.