Work colleagues

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

“It was a bit jarring,” remembers Matt Hallam, 25, a Manchester-based editor and self-described “token office gay”, of a recent gift: an enormous aubergine and a pot of Vaseline. He took it in good spirits – the gifter was a friend. But the present wasn’t of any use. “The pot of Vaseline was not big enough for the aubergine,” Vaughan jokes.

Taking it the right way(Insert Kenneth Williams gif here)

Louise Utton, a 29-year-old HR worker from Liverpool, will never forget the Secret Santa her first boss gave her: a laminated map of her route to work, so she would stop being late. “I was so upset,” Utton says. “He got drunk later and kept waving it at me at the party, too.” The gift had the opposite effect. “I was late for work a lot after that, and then I quit.”

Is a fud.

Then there are the truly awful gifts. Chloe (not her real name), 30, from Essex, was given a sexually suggestive present when she worked in publishing. “I never found out who it was from, but my senior manager went on to sexually harass me that night – so I’m guessing it was him.”

Reminds me of the year that a female colleague bought me a book of lapdancing moves, complete with diagrams. One of the other girls in my team found this quite upsetting on my behalf. I was mostly just disappointed that the girl who gave me it was not willing to help model some of the suggestions.

Only one I recall giving out that I thought was reasonable was a "Clydebank survival kit" that I gave to a colleague. Consisted of a half bottle of Buckfast and a BB gun, which came in a few pence under the £10 budget.

I think I want to murder every single one of them right now. Its only 10:40 and all fucking morning its been

"what are you wearing on Friday?"

"how are we getting there?"

"are you dressing up here or going home and changing?"

"what did I order?"

Its a Works Christmas Lunch that is £21 for three courses FFS, we aint going to the Ritz.

About a month ago I took my first sick day at work. I got a text from my manager saying “if the jobs not for you just tell me”. Now I work myself into the ground between full time nights, full time uni, and a parent. Simply stated if he wanted to continue down that dialogue it would be between me, him, and my union rep. Funny that I’ve had no hassle from him since

About a month ago I took my first sick day at work. I got a text from my manager saying “if the jobs not for you just tell me”. Now I work myself into the ground between full time nights, full time uni, and a parent. Simply stated if he wanted to continue down that dialogue it would be between me, him, and my union rep. Funny that I’ve had no hassle from him since

What a c**t he is. Fuckin smash him.

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

Update:
I’ve been asked to put in writing the “accommodations” I asked for that were refused.

Aye, right, so you can say you did?

Maybe it is worth lawyering up. I did my US bar prep a wee while back now but I seem to remember schools being pretty strictly regulated as far as things like the ADA and certain constitutional rights. Lots of no win no fee lawyers in the US too. No harm in trying.

Edit: i would suggest not putting them in writing. If they don't have them in writing, how could they have actually considered them?

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

19 hours ago, Jason King said:

I think I want to murder every single one of them right now. Its only 10:40 and all fucking morning its been

"what are you wearing on Friday?"

"how are we getting there?"

"are you dressing up here or going home and changing?"

"what did I order?"

Its a Works Christmas Lunch that is £21 for three courses FFS, we aint going to the Ritz.

What are you wearing though?

Had exactly the same thing happen to me except I was just doing my job.
It's not so much the statement that's the problem it's the underlying tension and what it makes you think that's the problem.
You did the right thing, I was so stunned when it happened to me as it was weeks after a good review. It wasnt done in a jokey way either. This type of Jekyll and Hyde type behaviour is the worst because you dont know when it will happen and how to control it. You're lucky you have a union.