Work colleagues

Jesus wept. Things going on at work today:

1. Donations for food bank.

2. Dress down day / Xmas jumper day.

3/4. Two leavers cards.

5. Works Xmas do tonight.

6. They're going out for lunch to prepare.

Not to mention next week another Xmas do, and a lunch for said leavers. Following a do earlier this week for a 60th birthday.

Nine work events over a two week period. Sod that.

It's absolutely incessant and I'm opting out of most of it. I just want to get on with my work and be left in peace.

Edit: FFS. There's an invite landed in my inbox for a works night out at end of January. These folk are ill, wanting to spend so much social time with colleagues is weird.

21 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Office secret santa. No-one forced to partake but you can if you want. I thought it sounded like fun, a chance to get a wee gift under £10 of something I wouldn't normally buy for myself but might appreciate. Got a decent book on the previous time I did this.

I drew the name of a guy who worked as a magician while a student before coming into law. He's a new father as well, just back from paternity leave, so I got a bib for the wee one saying "My dad's magic" and then, as a footnote, "at litigation". All good fun. Just got my present now, looking forward to a well thought out gift based on the interests I put down on the form: motorcycles, reggae, surfing, travelling. Thought football would be too generic. So what did they get me?

A President Trump toilet brush.

Ffs. 😂😂😂

ETA: They misspelled my name on the wrapping paper. 😂

Our office are going for a new version of Secret Santa.

Rather than buying for someone specific, all the presents go in a bag. Names then get drawn from a hat and the person picks a present. Sounds nice enough, except you also have the choice of keeping your present, or stealing one from someone who picked before you. It's going to be carnage.

35 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Everyone's being encouraged to wear a Christmas jumper today and pay £1 to charity. 

The thought of paying £20+ for a hideous novelty jumper for the privilege of paying £1 to charity isn't very appealing. 

You could always buy the jumper, wear it, then take it back tomorrow. The charity gets its pound, you get your money back. 

It's a win win. 

:)

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:
1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
Just realise I’ve got Christmas boxers on today. Probably from about 10 years ago though.

10 years must be a record. And probably crustier than one of Bairnardo's mango pizzas.

I'll wager they taste better than Bairnardo's abomination as well. 

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

They are a made up 'tradition'.

To a point, it's exactly this. Forced in your face these days from the 'Look at me caring, likes and shares crowd'.  

Rather than buying for someone specific, all the presents go in a bag. Names then get drawn from a hat and the person picks a present. Sounds nice enough, except you also have the choice of keeping your present, or stealing one from someone who picked before you. It's going to be carnage.
Happened on "The Office" and it was pretty hilarious.

We did it in our work a couple of years back, went down really well. A great laugh.

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Everyone's being encouraged to wear a Christmas jumper today and pay £1 to charity. 

The thought of paying £20+ for a hideous novelty jumper for the privilege of paying £1 to charity isn't very appealing. 

Never understood how these things work. Will the charity refuse any donations from people who didn't wear a Christmas jumper?

Same with charity walks. Before I realised how stupid they were I used to do the Evening News one. I'd go round my office looking for sponsors, and most of the people would give me the money up front. When I pointed out I hadn't actually done the walk yet, they would say "Oh, I'm sure you'll manage it!" Which got me wondering why I had to do the fucking walk at all. I'd have raised just as much by simply going round asking for donations and not had to walk twelve miles in the pissing rain.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

Never understood how these things work. Will the charity refuse any donations from people who didn't wear a Christmas jumper?

Same with charity walks. Before I realised how stupid they were I used to do the Evening News one. I'd go round my office looking for sponsors, and most of the people would give me the money up front. When I pointed out I hadn't actually done the walk yet, they would say "Oh, I'm sure you'll manage it!" Which got me wondering why I had to do the fucking walk at all. I'd have raised just as much by simply going round asking for donations and not had to walk twelve miles in the pissing rain.

Indeed, I've often thought the same. If I needed to know that a person has skateboarded off a bridge or something in order to motivate me to stump up a couple of quid for some worthy cause, I'd be a low quality human being.

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

6 hours ago, Empty It said:
7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Ach I was gonna say I'd seen that Office episode.