Work colleagues

Dear Boss

I spend all day posting on a football forum about how much Joe takes the piss that by getting rid of him I could achieve so much more and Joe would also be gone so a win for everyone.

Regards

Chris

Joe is a complete wid not and it gives me a riddy working with him tbqhwy, imho.
TL;DR? employing Joe is a total minter m9.
Are you minter?
Do you know a Joe?
Is he a minter?
Over to you,
ICTChris.

5 hours ago, MSU said:

This is why it’s a very bad idea to send this guy anything, especially something that could be read as negative. You’re opening up a can of worms by complying with this, particularly if your boss / HR is unaware of you doing it. He’s at it. You’re being set up. Go along with this and I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re out of a job long before this c**t is. 

Absolutely.

I've seen this happen to a colleague before. Do not, do not, do not send anything to this guy.

Nothing good can come of it.

Send something negative: Potential big problem in terms of bullying or some pish like that.

Send something positive: May well find you are covering his back for something and digging your own grave.

Stay well away.

Edited by JTS98

One of my mates from another job was asked to give feedback on our then manager and gave such a vitriolic screed of hatred that the guy was sacked pretty much immediately. I’ve asked her for her mail,
I initially read that as your mate being sacked immediately, which would be the most likely scenario at most places I've worked.

Your mate's boss must have been on the fiddle or something. Or someone in HR wanted to pump your mate.

19 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I'd ask his boss if he has told the guy to ask for 360 degree feedback as that's the only thing I can think of if he's being performance managed. I'd only give him the feedback if the answer is yes.

F***s sake, boys, there's a separate thread for that sort of shit...

I spoke to my manager and apparently he has gone out to numerous people asking for feedback as well.  All feedback should be done through line managers, what my boss thinks is happening is that he's trying to screen feedback so he can present loads of positives to the management team.  It's dishonest and not the way that feedback is usually done.

27 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I spoke to my manager and apparently he has gone out to numerous people asking for feedback as well.  All feedback should be done through line managers, what my boss thinks is happening is that he's trying to screen feedback so he can present loads of positives to the management team.  It's dishonest and not the way that feedback is usually done.

^^^Grass.

Good initiative there from the workshy one.

56 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

First world problems thread for this pish but I am deeply suspicious of colleagues who have the arm rests of their chairs set so they bang into the edge of the desk.

I just checked mine and I am guilty of this. Sorry.

Chris's dilemma reminds me of someone I interviewed a few years ago. He clearly didn't grasp the concept of a competency-based interview and, having failed to give a relevant answer any of the questions, produced what he thought was going to be his trump card - a survey of his colleagues asking what they thought of him.

I have no issue in sending the feedback to both the line manager and the colleague. So long as you’re constructive, then no issue with you providing the feedback directly to him. If the guy receiving the feedback is offended, then he really shouldn’t be asking for feedback.

Grow a set and just give him the feedback directly.

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

I have no issue in sending the feedback to both the line manager and the colleague. So long as you’re constructive, then no issue with you providing the feedback directly to him. If the guy receiving the feedback is offended, then he really shouldn’t be asking for feedback.

Grow a set and just give him the feedback directly.

It's not about someone being offended, it's about what they might do with it.

You never know what's going on with someone else and they might use the feedback from you to defend him or herself and pass the buck to you for something you are unaware of.

Alternatively, they might take offence at what you say and make a complaint about you. Regardless of how honest or true the feedback is.

There is no good reason to do this. Nothing to do with 'growing a set'.

It's not about someone being offended, it's about what they might do with it.
You never know what's going on with someone else and they might use the feedback from you to defend him or herself and pass the buck to you for something you are unaware of.
Alternatively, they might take offence at what you say and make a complaint about you. Regardless of how honest or true the feedback is.
There is no good reason to do this. Nothing to do with 'growing a set'.

You’re constructive then really what have you got to worry about?
If I was hearing an HR case in the scenario of someone raising a grievance due to not liking feedback that was provided constructively, then I would laugh it out the door and have the report done very quickly.

4 minutes ago, Mitch said:

You’re constructive then really what have you got to worry about?
If I was hearing an HR case in the scenario of someone raising a grievance due to not liking feedback that was provided constructively, then I would laugh it out the door and have the report done very quickly.

The point is that what is and is not constructive and fair is entirely subjective.

If the colleague takes objection to the feedback you give them, that could become a real problem for you. It's a short jump to claims of harassment and bullying. Even if those claims are eventually thrown out (and they might not be), you would endure weeks or months of nervous waiting as the process unfolded. Perhaps even reputational damage within your office as word spreads about what's going on and the story gathers arms and legs.

Relying on HR to solve it might be fine, but it might not be. Maybe the HR people are thick. Maybe the HR people are your colleague's mate. Maybe your opinion on what is 'fair and constructive' isn't quite accurate.

And, of course, there is the possibility that the colleague is asking you for feedback directly in order to shift blame your way by absolving themselves of something.

All of these possibilities are on the table once you start giving colleagues feedback outwith the guidelines of normal procedure.

There is absolutely no good reason to do it. You gain nothing and you open the door to lots of potential problems.