Work colleagues

I did a bit of work last week with my useless workshy colleague and I've just had to completely rewrite the report he wrote up about it.  He just p[roduced the biggest load of complte shite going, both in terms of covering what information we need, the way we format the report so it's easy to read and basic formal English.  It's terrible.  My manager told me to do it and is going to give him a dressing down tomorrow morning during our team stand up, it's going to be excruiatingly embarrassing.

I did a bit of work last week with my useless workshy colleague and I've just had to completely rewrite the report he wrote up about it.  He just p[roduced the biggest load of complte shite going, both in terms of covering what information we need, the way we format the report so it's easy to read and basic formal English.  It's terrible.  My manager told me to do it and is going to give him a dressing down tomorrow morning during our team stand up, it's going to be excruiatingly embarrassing.

Would that not be a case for HR, a public reprimanding that should be conducted in private as a development meeting to improve practice? Dressing someone down in front of the entire office is no way to encourage and motivate and/or improve practice

8 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn93 said:

Would that not be a case for HR, a public reprimanding that should be conducted in private as a development meeting to improve practice? Dressing someone down in front of the entire office is no way to encourage and motivate and/or improve practice

I'm maybe projecting my own discomfort.  My manager won't be having a go at him but he'll just reiterate the requirements for writing reports.  It'll be embarrassing because we should all know what's needed and he just doesn't.  I'll be embarrassed on his behalf.

I'm fairly sure he's being performance managed so my boss will know what he can and can't do.

I'm maybe projecting my own discomfort.  My manager won't be having a go at him but he'll just reiterate the requirements for writing reports.  It'll be embarrassing because we should all know what's needed and he just doesn't.  I'll be embarrassed on his behalf.
I'm fairly sure he's being performance managed so my boss will know what he can and can't do.
In my experience, a manager making a point to an individual in a group setting won't work. The person it's aimed at will likely think it doesn't apply to them and carry on as before. And the manager can't be sure that they'll be listening and taking the information on board.

2 hours ago, microdave said:

In my experience, a manager making a point to an individual in a group setting won't work. The person it's aimed at will likely think it doesn't apply to them and carry on as before. And the manager can't be sure that they'll be listening and taking the information on board.

My manager is awful for this. One guy will cause a problem and instead of taking him away and speaking to him about it, the whole department gets called in for a "communication meeting" and a generic "we shouldn't do this type of thing" gets aimed at everyone. I genuinely think it's just the shitebags way of dealing with things, instead of putting himself in a situation where he might get an argument, he changes it to a setting where no one really listens or cares.

12 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I'm going back to work in 4 weeks after 553 days off sick/maternity leave. I like my job and my colleagues which reading this thread is pretty rare. 

Must be good to get back to it after everything that's happened though.  Hope it goes well.

In epic news, my workshy colleague has asked me to give our manager feedback  on him for his annual performance review.

Must be good to get back to it after everything that's happened though.  Hope it goes well.

In epic news, my workshy colleague has asked me to give our manager feedback  on him for his annual performance review.
If you shite this, dont show your face round here no more.

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

That's a very strange system, but I was once almost the victim of a stranger one.

We were working with some statisticians, one of whom was really very bad at his job. His boss asked me - working in a separate organisation, who were suppliers to the statisticians' organisation - for performance feedback on the bad guy. It was essentially gathering ammo to make a case against him. I want to stress that the boss wasn't wanting to be particularly evil, just trying to gather the full (bad) picture. The "ammo" aspect comes from the fact that any comments from anyone were going to be pretty damning (if they were true).

I was on the verge of doing it, following that instinct that seems very common, to lend a hand when possible and particularly when requested; but the stronger instinct was that it was completely the wrong thing to be doing. I confirmed with my boss, because I was going to be saying no to a client, then politely declined.

The person who had made the request was absolutely fine about it. Really not a bad person, just trying clumsily to do the best thing in a bad situation.

It seemed pretty clear-cut afterwards; but a few years later on it occurred to me that I had been in a very good position to make a pretty accurate call on the junior statto's capabilities and performance, at least in one area. Leaving aside legal considerations, I actually think it would have been fine, ethically and with respect to accuracy.

But as Harry Hill often says, "It's a good thing that system isn't in use!"

41 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Bear in mind that he might have been quietly asked for feedback on you..

If Chris shites it here he can never be allowed to ever again moan about how rubbish this guy is at his job.

We regularly ask/be asked to provide feedback from different departments we work with for appraisals.  I think it's quite a fair thing to do, and does give you a boost if you get a good one.

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Bear in mind that he might have been quietly asked for feedback on you..

Bit unfair that, that the waster would know ICTChris is providing feedback on him but not vice versa. Any feedback should be anonymous.

36 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Bit unfair that, that the waster would know ICTChris is providing feedback on him but not vice versa. Any feedback should be anonymous.

Disagree. If it's factual and fair then people should be big enough to receive critical feedback and people should be brave enough to give it.