Work colleagues

I work in a charity shop. Imagine moving everything around every few weeks because the supermarkets do it.

My favourite comprehension failure recently was the idea that our clothes should be ordered by colour, not size. So somebody comes in and goes to the pink section, then chooses an item. They're a size 10, so they take the item to the counter and ask for it in a 14.

At (insert high-street retailer), the staff go get your item in your size. At (insert charity shop), they say sorry, we only have that one because WE'RE A FUCKING CHARITY AND OUR CLOTHES ARE DONATIONS.

This was actually implemented at one of our shops. I work for imbeciles.

I worked in a charity shop (British Heart Foundation) for a week.

I mainly tested electrical donations to see if they worked.

They fired me because they (fairly reasonably) realised they could get someone to do it for free.

10 hours ago, Dee Man said:

From memory, most supermarkets only rotate stock every 6 months or so. The reason for this is exactly as you outlined - to make customers walk past products they wouldn't usually in case they have an established pattern of what aisles they go directly to for their shopping.

For the same reason, bread and milk are never right beside the entrance.

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Big companies always comically call a fresh round of firings or cutting folks' hours a 'restructuring' and is usually to 'meet customer demand' or some such pish.

Obviously we all know it's simply because those at the top and shareholders aren't making the same level of obscene profit and instead are making a slightly less obscene level of profit despite not needing it at all.

Yet there are folk apparently on their side..

I’ve always thought that rich people who own businesses have a lower limit of where they would allow their personal wealth to drop to before making cuts or firing staff so they can make the personal loss back again.

The thing with big companies is it diesnt matter to those at the top about what happens on the shop floor. It doesnt matter to them even what the shop floor is. The board of oil conpanies dont care about oil. The board of ASDA dont care about fruit and veg. Once you get to a certain level they become financial institutions more concerned with stock performance, shareholder satisfaction and payment of the dividend.

Oil conpanies for example (and I have seen this happen) will not blink at selling hugely profitable assets at shit prices, if they happen to need cash on hand to pay attractive dividends and protect the stock.

Thats what you are up against. Thats why only organised trade unions who can orchestrate an attack on the bottom line can hope to stand against it.

Which in turn is why this country of Sun reading bootlickers who regularly spout misinformed shite about unions being lazy troublemakers, vote for Brexit and for Tories, one might argue, have the employment situation they deserve.

Guest Moomintroll

I vote Tory & I voted for Brexit, yet I will always do all I can for an employee during a consultation or disciplinary because no one want's to f**k up on purpose, unless they are abusive or a thief, in which case, they get what they deserve. Do not blame the doctrine, blame the person.

11 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I vote Tory & I voted for Brexit, yet I will always do all I can for an employee during a consultation or disciplinary because no one want's to f**k up on purpose, unless they are abusive or a thief, in which case, they get what they deserve. Do not blame the doctrine, blame the person.

The doctrine is, make as much as you can as quickly as you can. You can't even blame the board of publicly-traded companies for the kind of short-sighted psychopathic behaviour their companies engage in - it's literally their job to ensure this is what happens. If they don't, they'll be replaced.

You've reduced me to defending billionaire CEOs with your shocking heel turn. I hope you're happy.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They fired me because they (fairly reasonably) realised they could get someone to do it for free.

Were you PAT testing them, or just plugging them in? Did you have to safety check prams?

PAT testing's a weird one. It's like ATM machine or PIN number, but if you just refer to 'PA Testing', or say you're away to do some PAT in the back room, people give you weird looks.

Guest Moomintroll
The doctrine is, make as much as you can as quickly as you can. You can't even blame the board of publicly-traded companies for the kind of short-sighted psychopathic behaviour their companies engage in - it's literally their job to ensure this is what happens. If they don't, they'll be replaced.
You've reduced me to defending billionaire CEOs with your shocking heel turn. I hope you're happy.
That was actually kind of my point, I vote that way because it makes sense for the Economic wellbeing of the Country & everyone who lives here, yet do all I can on an individual level to protect people from greedy arseholes who couldn't care less about the human cost of their unneccessarily inflated bonuses.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

That was actually kind of my point, I vote that way because it makes sense for the Economic wellbeing of the Country & everyone who lives here, yet do all I can on an individual level to protect people from greedy arseholes who couldn't care less about the human cost of their unneccessarily inflated bonuses.

So you're fighting against yourself?

Guest Moomintroll
So you're fighting against yourself?
It does seem that way sometimes, but I try to fight for everyone I work with against the constant negativity that we have to endure. I know I can come across as a contrarian at times but I do my best.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm guessing you rejected a lot of defibrillators.

It’s 4 weeks notice on shifts being changed, one of the only things the GMB seem to have achieved.

And the only protected job family is security, meaning checkouts could end up stacking shelves

1 hour ago, Eoin said:

It’s 4 weeks notice on shifts being changed, one of the only things the GMB seem to have achieved.

And the only protected job family is security, meaning checkouts could end up stacking shelves

What would be the problem with that?

6 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Fucking knew it.