Work colleagues

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Nothing quite pissed me off like the amount of people that would answer these saying everything was fine and then moan about work in the pub.

I imagine drinking with folk that talk about work in the pub would piss me off considerably more, tbh. 

This one's not a bam but actually one of the better ones at work. Young girl, 24 I think, who joined us about six months back. I sit next to her, have been supervising her work and supported her to get taken on for a 2 year scheme that will see her qualify as a solicitor. She's a sound c*nt, knows a lot about sport, good at her job, and excellent people skills. She's just got broken up with over the weekend with her boyfriend of 3 or 4 years and she's obviously not taking it well. She's just told me a couple minutes ago, as a friend, not in a work capacity. I just said I was sorry to hear that and told her all the best of us have been there. She doesn't want to talk about it or she'll get upset, which is understandable. 
I doubt P&B knows much about what 24 year lasses want but if anybody's got an idea of the best way I can be a friend to her, support her etc, that'd be grand. 

Try, well, just being nice? You’re there if she needs but it’s understandable if she doesn’t want to talk about. We all go through shitty things and times, it helps when folk are there for you. If she doesn’t want to talk about it, don’t mention it.
I mean eh get her pumped n that! #ladsladslads

4 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

This one's not a bam but actually one of the better ones at work. Young girl, 24 I think, who joined us about six months back. I sit next to her, have been supervising her work and supported her to get taken on for a 2 year scheme that will see her qualify as a solicitor. She's a sound c*nt, knows a lot about sport, good at her job, and excellent people skills. She's just got broken up with over the weekend with her boyfriend of 3 or 4 years and she's obviously not taking it well. She's just told me a couple minutes ago, as a friend, not in a work capacity. I just said I was sorry to hear that and told her all the best of us have been there. She doesn't want to talk about it or she'll get upset, which is understandable. 

I doubt P&B knows much about what 24 year lasses want but if anybody's got an idea of the best way I can be a friend to her, support her etc, that'd be grand. 

Is your avatar pic you, at the precise moment you learned a 24 year old female, who’s sound as a pound, likes her sport, and appreciates you as a supportive colleague, has just split up from her long term boyfriend?

You should invite her to your yoga class and then go out for some vegan beer. Or you could just do what you’ve been doing and chat to the girl.
In my job I sometimes have to cover different offices when people are off, one night a girl came in and told me she couldnt work because her man had left her and she had just booked an abortion. That was before I knew her name. Sometimes I feel people share too much at work.

I'm all for honesty but the thing is that there will be a few people who will say everything is brilliant because they're flying monkeys and enablers of narcissistic leaders. Rather than fix things these leaders see criticism as a slight or insult and just go after or label people who tell the truth as troublemakers.
You would need to be in that situation and make the judgement for yourself.
I've seen a few colleagues shunned or openly abused in a group because they simply told the truth or spoke their mind.
It's incredibly toxic but easier to just say nothing.
It's not victimhood it's just survival until something else comes along.
The same effect happened in banking and other industries where speaking out was dangerous.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I'm all for honesty but the thing is that there will be a few people who will say everything is brilliant because they're flying monkeys and enablers of narcissistic leaders. 

Yes. You.

I’ve worked in places with cultures exactly like DAFC describes. One of my former jobs had a number of horrible bullying managers who were enabled by senior staff to behave like that. What happened was all the experienced staff left - they get find out eventually. I had a degree of freedom because I knew that I wasn’t going to be there long term so I felt like I could disagree without having any long term consequences. You also have to pick your battles and maintain decent levels of work so you don’t make yourself a target.

My current job and management team are much better but the panicky, useless, over promoted manager is a hazard of the British workplace.

Where I work those surveys are just there to make the staff think they have a say, when in reality the higher ups don't care what you think as long as you keep coming in and doing your work.

A few year back out department got so badly slaughtered in a survey, the head of the department panicked and called a meeting for us to address issues.

After listening to us slaughter the place for an hour, she turned around and said she couldn’t make any of the issues we raised go away, so we either had to move department or quit.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

A few year back out department got so badly slaughtered in a survey, the head of the department panicked and called a meeting for us to address issues.

After listening to us slaughter the place for an hour, she turned around and said she couldn’t make any of the issues we raised go away, so we either had to move department or quit.

Sounds about right, the 'If you're not happy leave' approach

Yup. Pretty much how it works.

The whole "nothing's going to change, deal with it" attitude is lazy as f**k. I doubt most of them even pass on their underlings' concerns in case they annoy someone further up the food chain.

If your employer's response to legitimate workplace concerns is "tell them to find another job if they aren't happy", you'd surely be looking for a new job yourself.