Work colleagues

48 minutes ago, Silvio said:

A woman I (used to) manage was getting paid 5k more than me and spent every day telling me how she didn't have to work. To sit and deal with that knowing she's doing f**k all was pretty difficult. 

She was late 50s, early 60s, and had a banking pension as well as her salary. I'm mid 30s and she was clearly pissed off she was getting managed by me.

Anyway, she threatened to resign a few times and I just ignored it. She then offered her resignation which I accepted and immediately processed. She couldn't believe I called her bluff.

I've just recruited her replacement who is getting substantially less than her.

:lol: brilliant.

Make sure you teabag her leaving card.

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Was it @Stellaboz who was discovering the genre recently? I struggle to tell you two apart sometimes 

Aye it was him, the fucking deviant.

He's changed.

I'm a bit of a role model to him and he often 'borrows' my patter so it's no surprise you struggle to tell us apart.

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

A woman I (used to) manage was getting paid 5k more than me and spent every day telling me how she didn't have to work. To sit and deal with that knowing she's doing f**k all was pretty difficult. 

She was late 50s, early 60s, and had a banking pension as well as her salary. I'm mid 30s and she was clearly pissed off she was getting managed by me.

Anyway, she threatened to resign a few times and I just ignored it. She then offered her resignation which I accepted and immediately processed. She couldn't believe I called her bluff.

I've just recruited her replacement who is getting substantially less than her.

Is the replacement a wid?

9 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Screams of unprofessionalism to me to have a workplace without pay transparency, clearly defined pay scales etc. Same as places that advertise jobs and state the salary is 'competitive' - massive red flag imo.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic but to me if you've got more than a small handful of staff and you've not put this kind of thing on some sort of a formal footing it's a good indicator of a cowboy operation.

If it’s not transparent it just leads to rumours and bad feeling towards certain people. People get incredibly petty and pathetic over someone getting a small amount more than them or even a small gift or perk.

Worked in a place like this and there was a 15k wage gap between new starts and colleagues that were there for over ten years. The new starts were asked to learn more tasks and roles than the older colleagues just to get a contract. The long serving colleagues also were lazy and attacked then newer staff as they showed them up. No pay scales, career progression or explanations why. Utterly mental.

If it’s not transparent it just leads to rumours and bad feeling towards certain people. People get incredibly petty and pathetic over someone getting a small amount more than them or even a small gift or perk.
Worked in a place like this and there was a 15k wage gap between new starts and colleagues that were there for over ten years. The new starts were asked to learn more tasks and roles than the older colleagues just to get a contract. The long serving colleagues also were lazy and attacked then newer staff as they showed them up. No pay scales, career progression or explanations why. Utterly mental.
https://www.employeebenefits.co.uk/issues/october-2010-online/equality-act-2010-bans-pay-secrecy-clauses-and-gender-pay-discrimination/

Key seems to have been the Equality Act 2010 and a lot of employers haven't updated their employee handbook to reflect this change.

I worked in a well known IT joint in Inverness and the pay in there was fucking mental.  

For example, if you came in as a phone monkey, you got something like 15k a year.  Fine if you're just out of school.  There was one guy there who started on that and worked his way up to a server engineer role (and now I believe he's doing high profile project work).  Anyway I came in to the server engineer role and ended up working alongside him.  We got chatting one day and it turns out I was on 3k more that what he had worked his way up to.

Now this guy had far more client experience than me, and I would say more server engineer experience too.  I felt really embarrassed getting more than him but it highlighted to me the crazy salaries in there.  There was absolutely zero pay structure.  I would put money on that every single person in that place was on different money.  Bizarre.

The folk who had worked there for years, like this guy had, were getting shafted whereas folk coming in cold could basically name their price.

A group email came in this morning to mention that the head of department is having a milestone birthday next week and to celebrate, we're to have a game of Bingo, which is all about him.  It reads, "...so I’m asking you lot if you can think of a word/words/short sentence that will fit on a bingo square, that you would use to describe or even reminds you of him.  If you can send me these by the end of the week I can make the cards."

Nearly vomited when I read it.  Never have I been more happy to be on holiday next week.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

A group email came in this morning to mention that the head of department is having a milestone birthday next week and to celebrate, we're to have a game of Bingo, which is all about him.  It reads, "...so I’m asking you lot if you can think of a word/words/short sentence that will fit on a bingo square, that you would use to describe or even reminds you of him.  If you can send me these by the end of the week I can make the cards."

Nearly vomited when I read it.  Never have I been more happy to be on holiday next week.

Did you suggest c**t?

Who's the sooky p***k actually doing this? What a waste of company time.

A guy on my floor in the office keeps making scrambled eggs at 11am every single day in the "kitchen" microwave! It's not really a kitchen, it's basically a wee open plan bit with a fridge and microwave, unacceptable, place is bouffin.

35 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Fish and egg products should be banned from the workplace.

Any hot food products should be kept to the canteen.* Sometimes the young lad that sits behind me will bring back a macdonalds or KFC and eat it at his desk while working.

* same goes for cold food products that stink the place out - pasta, sushi etc.

2 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Any hot food products should be kept to the canteen.* Sometimes the young lad that sits behind me will bring back a macdonalds or KFC and eat it at his desk while working.

* same goes for cold food products that stink the place out - pasta, sushi etc.

Absolutely correct!

Even the smell of a baked potato annoys me in the office, just buy a sanny ffs!