Work colleagues

In my experience it’s the managers above the team leaders who are the work-shy b*****ds and the route of any issues or discontent. They’re the ones with the trust issues, which stems from them being lazy c***s themselves IMO. Managers right through the department at the company I work for regularly think nothing of putting pressure on their team leaders to crack down on their staff for literally anything and sometimes what’s basically nothing. I actually hate the fact that I’ve seen so many good workers become disillusioned and unmotivated, and good working relationships crumbling because of feet-under-the-table, sat-on-their-arse managers. The same managers that are expected to chip in when things get a bit hectic but are always posted missing when the going gets tough.

It's much easier to avoid stuff by using domino effect management behind the scenes than actually managing properly and getting to know staff. Have seen staff hide in fear or look busy for senior management, for what exactly? What are they doing trying to scare people into working hard? This doesn't work.

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

E200A5C9-47C9-4878-9424-BF146EF6EFF4.gif

If you think that's bad then you should know that often, too often, folk leave an empty water bottle in the water cooler instead of replacing it with a new, full one.

If you know how to treat folk and the team aren’t fucking roasters then you’re halfway there.

Part 1 should be easy, tho some make it seem difficult.

Part 2 not so easy , not been in a workplace without at least a few that are total dicks, and their presence affect the rest of the team.

Utter joke how big of a percentage of the workforce can't abide by simple principles. Honestly, basic work ethic, treating all with respect, teamwork...

Bullshit politics is also an infuriating thing to watch. Managers/staff making each other's life more difficult trying to get 1 over on someone.

41 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

Recently got a promotion to a middle management job, which involves supporting the team I worked in before.

The job I’m in now was neglected previously for a few reasons, but the team seem to appreciate the system and structure I’ve put in place now and I’m conscious to treat people how I’d like to have be treated myself - especially as the role could be perceived as involving grassing on folk if approached differently. There might be covert disgruntlement behind my back etc but they’re hiding it well if there is.

If you know how to treat folk and the team aren’t fucking roasters then you’re halfway there.

I used to treat people in my team how I would like to be treated but realised after a while that it's better to treat them how they would like to be treated. I've had guys who can fire through tickets happily all day without supervision and others who want to be told what to do. Both are capable of good work but want/need to be managed differently.

I'm self employed now and do rather enjoy being able to do what I please. Such privilege comes at a cost of course. 

However, when employed by somebody else, I'm very much "just tell me what to do and I'll do it". I find this preferable to second guessing what the employer wants exactly as it's a simpler existence for what's essentially the same pay at the end of the day. 

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

In my experience it’s the managers above the team leaders who are the work-shy b*****ds and the route of any issues or discontent. They’re the ones with the trust issues, which stems from them being lazy c***s themselves IMO. Managers right through the department at the company I work for regularly think nothing of putting pressure on their team leaders to crack down on their staff for literally anything and sometimes what’s basically nothing. I actually hate the fact that I’ve seen so many good workers become disillusioned and unmotivated, and good working relationships crumbling because of feet-under-the-table, sat-on-their-arse managers. The same managers that are expected to chip in when things get a bit hectic but are always posted missing when the going gets tough.

One of the main reasons I left my job and went self employed 

Guest Moomintroll

Being a manager is not easy, you are trying to spin so many plates at the same time that you will take your eye off some of them sometimes. However, the biggest issue is other managers who, in spite of all logic, believe that general assistants should have the same undying work ethic & unerring devotion to duty as people who have flogged themselves to get to where they are. We end up where we are for a reason, stop expecting others to be at that level with zero incentive & stop penalising managers for realising that people are happy doing what they do & allowing them to perform acceptably within that band. Rant over for the moment.

36 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:
1 hour ago, GordonD said:
Wonder why.

Probably due to DA's smelly feet as he's previously admitted to wandering around the office with his shoes off.

I don't have smelly feet.

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

Why do you walk around the office with your shoes off?

I don't do it all the time. Not even most of the time. I just often sit with my shoes off so on occasion will walk somewhere in the office without them on. 

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't do it all the time. Not even most of the time. I just often sit with my shoes off so on occasion will walk somewhere in the office without them on. 

Why, though?

Sitting with shoes off is infinitely more comfortable than having them on.

Long haul flight, shoes off straight away.
Long distance drive, shoes off straight away.

I’m under the impression DA sits at a desk for prolonged periods of time, so don’t really see the issue.

Just spent 15 minutes talking to a colleague about a work related matter, naturally at the end of the conversation my manager walks past, taps her watch and states she’s been timing said conversation and feels it’s taken too long.

I feel a boot connecting with her pie is on the cards.

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

If you think that's bad then you should know that often, too often, folk leave an empty water bottle in the water cooler instead of replacing it with a new, full one.

Every time I go to the office along the corridor to get a refreshment, the bottle is empty and the (mostly) women say "aye you'll have to change the bottle".

Bints.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Every time I go to the office along the corridor to get a refreshment, the bottle is empty and the (mostly) women say "aye you'll have to change the bottle".

Bints.

^^^

C0B2BD97-3B1C-4794-B22C-B6060ED12B2E.png

Sitting with shoes off is infinitely more comfortable than having them on.

Long haul flight, shoes off straight away.
Long distance drive, shoes off straight away.

I’m under the impression DA sits at a desk for prolonged periods of time, so don’t really see the issue.

Just seems rather unprofessional when you’re there to work as it’s something you do to make yourself comfortable at home. I always take my shoes off the second I’m inside my house or anyone’s house that I’m planning on staying in for a while but wouldn’t do it round the office. Same goes for taking my trousers off.