Work colleagues

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think the overriding theme in UK workplaces is a complete lack of trust. You get to a certain level of management and they seem to think that everyone below somehow must be ripping the pish and need to be treated like kids.

I think its a legacy of the class system personally.

Sadly, most managers will never learn that the way to a stress free existence at work is to gather a team of people who know what they are doing, and let them do it.

In my experience the people most likely to rip the pish in this situation aren't the people below.

Sadly, most managers probably find themselves in a position where all the people who know what they're doing work in better jobs and they have to make do with the untrustworthy puddle-drinkers they've got.

Guest bernardblack

I’ve often wondered if it would be difficult being a manager/director.

Either you come in new to the business and don’t have a clue.

Or you’re promoted from within and probably pissed off a few soon to be employees or they’ll be jealous they didn’t get the gig.

I work from home.  Had a game of Pro Evo earlier and I was still eating breakfast whilst watching TV  at 9:30. 
The major downside is that you can't steal acquire a little bit of milk for your tea if you've run out though.

Eta: now off to make a toastie for lunch. 

Assassins Creed for me today, managed to squeeze in the odd 10 minute break to return phone calls and emails.

Was going to get into the garden but will leave that till tomorrow I think.

7 hours ago, Adam said:

I recently returned to my old department after being seconded in a different role for the last 18 months or so. 

Not the most romantic way to describe getting back with your ex.

Edited by welshbairn

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I think the overriding theme in UK workplaces is a complete lack of trust. You get to a certain level of management and they seem to think that everyone below somehow must be ripping the pish and need to be treated like kids.

I think its a legacy of the class system personally.

Sadly, most managers will never learn that the way to a stress free existence at work is to gather a team of people who know what they are doing, and let them do it.

Sadly a lot of managers mistrust their colleagues because a lot of colleagues do rip the piss, when a colleague fails to perform their job on a regular basis it is a nightmare to essentially sack them, there are so many ways a lazy workshy b*****d can slither out of trouble 

Sadly a lot of managers mistrust their colleagues because a lot of colleagues do rip the piss, when a colleague fails to perform their job on a regular basis it is a nightmare to essentially sack them, there are so many ways a lazy workshy b*****d can slither out of trouble 
I dont think its hard to be a gaffer and get folk to pull their weight. Folk will work for someone that looks after them. Folk who are being looked after by a decent gaffer will help to sort out piss takers among them.

This is very true. Someone can rip the pish for x months, get to final written warning. Work hard for the duration of said warning and once its removed from their file they can repeat the same cycle again.

In my experience it’s the managers above the team leaders who are the work-shy b*****ds and the route of any issues or discontent. They’re the ones with the trust issues, which stems from them being lazy c***s themselves IMO. Managers right through the department at the company I work for regularly think nothing of putting pressure on their team leaders to crack down on their staff for literally anything and sometimes what’s basically nothing. I actually hate the fact that I’ve seen so many good workers become disillusioned and unmotivated, and good working relationships crumbling because of feet-under-the-table, sat-on-their-arse managers. The same managers that are expected to chip in when things get a bit hectic but are always posted missing when the going gets tough.

16 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The work have announced that the building i work in is being shut from 1 June until 1 September and although we will be allocated a desk space in a different building, they’re expecting that people will likely work from home.

Hide contents

55C9BC46-9045-430C-BD4D-72A8BAB2DCE0.gif.2aa6d88687804c12fe491c90a45a3143.gif

Oh, the stories we'll hear about Mrs. Mullarkey. 

27 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The work have announced that the building i work in is being shut from 1 June until 1 September and although we will be allocated a desk space in a different building, they’re expecting that people will likely work from home.

Reveal hidden contents

The bairn will be chuffed that her dad(?) will be home through the school holidays.

I’ve often wondered if it would be difficult being a manager/director.

Either you come in new to the business and don’t have a clue.

Or you’re promoted from within and probably pissed off a few soon to be employees or they’ll be jealous they didn’t get the gig.

Recently got a promotion to a middle management job, which involves supporting the team I worked in before.

The job I’m in now was neglected previously for a few reasons, but the team seem to appreciate the system and structure I’ve put in place now and I’m conscious to treat people how I’d like to have be treated myself - especially as the role could be perceived as involving grassing on folk if approached differently. There might be covert disgruntlement behind my back etc but they’re hiding it well if there is.

If you know how to treat folk and the team aren’t fucking roasters then you’re halfway there.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Reveal hidden contents

There's a spare desk up by me 

Recently got a promotion to a middle management job, which involves supporting the team I worked in before.

The job I’m in now was neglected previously for a few reasons, but the team seem to appreciate the system and structure I’ve put in place now and I’m conscious to treat people how I’d like to have be treated myself - especially as the role could be perceived as involving grassing on folk if approached differently. There might be covert disgruntlement behind my back etc but they’re hiding it well if there is.

If you know how to treat folk and the team aren’t fucking roasters then you’re halfway there.

I used to treat people in my team how I would like to be treated but realised after a while that it's better to treat them how they would like to be treated. I've had guys who can fire through tickets happily all day without supervision and others who want to be told what to do. Both are capable of good work but want/need to be managed differently.