Work colleagues

In a previous job I used an Access Database and worked a lot on IT project files in it.  Was great when one of the Project Managers would fuck off to a meeting (or sometimes on holiday) and keep it open.  I could go in the back end and just kick them out, removing any work they hadn't saved.  Was incredibly #pleasing.
image.jpeg.4e8ddc2483f918b99b6891d44d91c156.jpeg

How incredibly adult & professional.
How old are you ?

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

How incredibly adult & professional.
How old are you ?

They were well learned in the fact that others needed to access these databases for project to run smoothly and be delivered and billed etc on time.  If they fucked off for days on end and locked the file,  they knew the consequences.  

I'm 33 btw.

They were well learned in the fact that others needed to access these databases for project to run smoothly and be delivered and billed etc on time.  If they fucked off for days on end and locked the file,  they knew the consequences.  
I'm 33 btw.

Sounds like a great place to work.

25 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

There's a few in my work who stroll in the doors at quarter or 20 past 9 every single day, and as they don't really have a direct line manager, nothing is ever said to them. Very annoying tbh.

Sounds like my old boss.  A useless fat, old fud.

Head Office was in Glasgow, as was his  line manager, so he would stroll in at 10 past 8 everyday, then take a 1 hour 20 lunch as he would go home for it every day, which is a 10 minute drive, so he would get home, then take an hour, and leave at 10 past to get back to work for 20 past 2.

And he did fuck all.  Because he worked for the company so long he was part of the furniture and it would cost them a fortune to get rid of him.  So I and everyone else, had to suffer for it.

Must be murder having to work specific shifts.  Flexitime is the stuff of dreams.  I regularly stroll in after 9am (was nearly 9:30 this morning).  But I normally stay on quite late as it's preferable to work in peace when there's no one about to bother you with stupid, pointless questions.

Clocked up nearly four hours of flex in the last three days alone.

#Ballin

42 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

There's a few in my work who stroll in the doors at quarter or 20 past 9 every single day, and as they don't really have a direct line manager, nothing is ever said to them. Very annoying tbh.

Why does it annoy you? Why concern yourself with those folk? 

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

Must be murder having to work specific shifts.  Flexitime is the stuff of dreams.  I regularly stroll in after 9am (was nearly 9:30 this morning).  But I normally stay on quite late as it's preferable to work in peace when there's no one about to bother you with stupid, pointless questions.

Clocked up nearly four hours of flex in the last three days alone.

#Ballin

I dream of flexitime, but there's zero chance of it ever happening here. Fixed hours for a lot of roles are becoming an anachronism. For customer facing roles where folk have to be there to serve them then obviously it's not suitable, but for many office roles flexitime makes much more sense. 

Just now, Estragon is a fud said:

Because they're working 15 less minutes than everyone else everyday. If anyone else done it they'd get their ear chewed. I did in fact when I first joined, for leaving at 5.25 to catch the train.

So? Does it really affect you? Happens at most places of business for whatever reason.

I recently returned to my old department after being seconded in a different role for the last 18 months or so.  Had that Heartbeat, Sunday night feeling when you think the world is about to fall out of your arse at the first catch-up session yesterday when they were discussing the 9-5 cover rota (we need to have one member of the team on call during the core working hours). 

For context, there's a woman in my team who absolutely despises working until 5pm, Just cannot bear to be in the office past 4:15pm.  Always offers to be in early in return for someone covering her late.  The past couple of days I have said to whoever has been designated to stay until 5pm that I will cover it for them, as I was planning on being here anyway.

Yesterday it was this woman's turn to be on the 5pm finish.  I was planning on being here until after 5pm, but was fucked if I was covering her shift so she could go early.  Could see the seethe emanate from her pores as the clock ticked closer to 5 and I was still here, working away.  Was delicious picking my bag up at 4:57pm and saying "Night".

All that said however, I have agreed to work condensed hours as I am no longer able to work from home as  done previously in my seconded role due to the sensitive information I work with, which means two days each week I will finish at 2:30pm in order to do the school run, meaning I will be here until well after 5pm on the other three days each week.

As expected, this morning she sent out the rota, showing me as being the 5pm finish the three days I am not finishing at 2:30.pm.  Dunno why this has annoyed me as much as it has.  Probably because it's making her happy, and I don't like that.

6 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

It doesn't have to directly affect me to be unacceptable practise and unfair to others in the office who don't share the same unrestrained privilege. 

You want their privileges to be taken away which wouldn't help you whatsoever? What a bitter c**t. 

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

It doesn't have to directly affect me to be unacceptable practise and unfair to others in the office who don't share the same unrestrained privilege. 

Do you know for certain there isn’t an underlying reason for it? One that they’ve perhaps spoken to management about?

Even if there isn’t, there’s nothing you can do about it, so little point in getting annoyed about it?

If it’s that annoying, try getting in tight with management so you can do it, or grass them in if you feel strongly enough about the issue.

35 minutes ago, Adam said:

For context, there's a woman in my team who absolutely despises working until 5pm, Just cannot bear to be in the office past 4:15pm.  Always offers to be in early in return for someone covering her late.  The past couple of days I have said to whoever has been designated to stay until 5pm that I will cover it for them, as I was planning on being here anyway.

Yesterday it was this woman's turn to be on the 5pm finish.  I was planning on being here until after 5pm, but was fucked if I was covering her shift so she could go early.  Could see the seethe emanate from her pores as the clock ticked closer to 5 and I was still here, working away.  Was delicious picking my bag up at 4:57pm and saying "Night".

Petty arseholes at work thread for this pish.

That's a dreadful argument of a simpleton I'm afraid. It's also not what I said.

Equality and fairness is the driving factor behind almost all thinking and rationality in the western world, however superficially petty it can appear.  Half the revolutions in the world result from unhappiness about oligarchy, nepotism and greed. I don't suppose you think they're all just bitter c***s? Are British republicans just bitter c***s.

A normal person 5:25pm] Cheerio everyone, got to leave sharp tonight

Estragon is a fud: THIS IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF NEPOTISTIC, OLIGARCHY GREED!  TO THE BARRICADES!

Flexi is good. Its no consolation for better pay but its a useful benefit to have. I'm 12 hours up right now and that's having tanned a day for a Flexi day off on monday. 

That said I don't think the current idea of 9-5 working is particularly good any more. People might be in work for 8 hours a day but how much of that time is useful and productive work? I reckon you could cut an hour a day from work and still get through exactly the same amount of stuff. If our working day was 9:30 to 4:00 then would we really lose much productivity from either end of the day? The benefits to staff would be significant. Employers would still get the same amount of productive work. 

Scandinavians have the right idea IMHO. Give folk back a wee bit of time to conduct their business, spend with family or engage in leisure activities and we'd have a healthier and happier workforce that still got the job done. 

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Flexi is good. Its no consolation for better pay but its a useful benefit to have. I'm 12 hours up right now and that's having tanned a day for a Flexi day off on monday. 

That said I don't think the current idea of 9-5 working is particularly good any more. People might be in work for 8 hours a day but how much of that time is useful and productive work? I reckon you could cut an hour a day from work and still get through exactly the same amount of stuff. If our working day was 9:30 to 4:00 then would we really lose much productivity from either end of the day? The benefits to staff would be significant. Employers would still get the same amount of productive work. 

Scandinavians have the right idea IMHO. Give folk back a wee bit of time to conduct their business, spend with family or engage in leisure activities and we'd have a healthier and happier workforce that still got the job done. 

Agree completely with this. The UK's approach is work is becoming increasingly victorian. It's just greed from employers and governments. We work far too long; too many days and too many hours, and it's showing with a massive increase in folk with stress and other mental health issues, as well as so many people simply not being happy. 

I could easily do my work in half the time, with the odd occasions where things happen at the same time so it's busier for me than normal. But so many of us have to sit on our arse for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. That in itself isn't healthy, but it also drives resentment and kills productivity and creativity. It's just a slog for so many people, and they feel resentment because they have to sit on their arse for so long, unnecessarily, when they could be doing something they enjoy and spending time with family.

We need to radically change the mentality when it comes to work in the UK.

But it's not a case of the work being done. It's a case of unchallenged laziness.  It's going to annoy people when it's blatant as that, they should at least hide it better by posting on internet forums or taking 10 minute "shite" breaks in the toilet twice a day.

If folk get the work done, to the required standard and in the required time, then they can be as lazy as they want in my view. Folk can f**k about all day online playing games for all I care.

Do you expect folk to be at their desks and 'hard at work' every single minute they're in work?

Edited by DA Baracus

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If folk get the work done, to the required standard and in the required time, then they can be as lazy as they want in my view. Folk can f**k about all day online playing games for all I care.

Do you expect folk to be at their desks and 'hard at work' every single minute they're in work?

Indeed.

I used to frequently come in slightly late and f*** off early for bus timetable related reasons (given turning up at 9:15 vs turning up at 8:30 for the nothing but assumed '9 start').  As far as I'm concerned, I was paid a salary to do a job over the course of a year, not paid by the hour to be there for the entirety of all of those hours.  I did my job, got my positive annual review and everything was fine in the eyes of the management. 

Pretty sure there were people in the background who tutted at such behaviour, but I never did care, and still don't.