Work colleagues

On 06/02/2019 at 00:42, Aidan said:
On 05/02/2019 at 16:16, ICTChris said:
One of the complete weirdos I worked with in Inverness absolutely reeked.
ETA - Post from the P&B Gold thread
He also had the worst personal hygiene I've been exposed to. He stank of filth - sometimes it was like shit, sometimes like piss, sometimes musty. He didn't wash his clothes properly and once insisted that the brown mark on his white shirt was a design (he emailed this to our team of 20 odd people). He just reeked, it was indesribably awful, boke inducing. He smelled like the girls in FF's favourite Nightshift video. He had weird greasy hair an dyellow teeth.

Sounds exactly like someone me and ah-dee worked with. The boy I'm speaking about also talked with a fake American accent despite being from Montrose, ate dried mealworms and used to regale us all with tales of paintings he had done substituting a paint brush for his penis.

I do recall a guy from Montrose who went over to the states for a couple of months to work on a summer camp.

When he came back he had an American accent, a flat top and wore Hi- Top trainers and a baseball jacket. Could be the same guy?

13 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

I'd love to work more hours yet one of the biggest companies in Britain dont like giving out overtime. Being on under 9 pound an hour I could do with extra pennies.
Only people on salaries at Tesco are managers. So they tend to be the only ones who stay longer when needed.

and im sure they get the staff loyalty they deserve.or,i hope they do

I'd love to work more hours yet one of the biggest companies in Britain dont like giving out overtime. Being on under 9 pound an hour I could do with extra pennies.
Only people on salaries at Tesco are managers. So they tend to be the only ones who stay longer when needed.
I used to work for the co-op many moons ago and never hassled into overtime untill I got salaried as a manager then it was insane. Every manager in the area worked crazy unpaid ot so all their expectations on you were based on working 12 hours most days. Lasted a couple of weeks untill the area manager had a seething rant down the phone at me as I'd scheduled a day off for myself the following week! That was the moment of clarity that made me wonder what the f*ck I was doing it for and locked the office, walked out and never set foot in the place again. If everyone loved unpaid work they could have my shop to look after for free as well!

I'm sure I've posted this on here before but I think if you have a certain level of responsibility then it's not unreasonable to expect people to be available over and above their hours and for people to put in a little bit extra.  My manager when I worked for a large pensions and insurance provider used to regularly work 12 hour days that she wouldn't have been paid overtime for - I don't think managers were paid overtime at all in that company.  They did all get paid a kings ransom though and if they met their performance targets they'd be in line for a bonus of up to 40% of their salary - my manager once bought a Porsche with her bonus.

However, I think it's different for staff who don't have a higher level of responsibility, if you want people to do more hours, pay them.  If you can't pay them, don't ask.  I frequently work extra hours, stay late to finish of important work or come in at weekends but I get paid for it.  If it's an extra hour or two then I don't really bother claiming it back, that's nothing really.  I feel a level of personal responsibility to complete work I have on as well.

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm sure I've posted this on here before but I think if you have a certain level of responsibility then it's not unreasonable to expect people to be available over and above their hours and for people to put in a little bit extra.  My manager when I worked for a large pensions and insurance provider used to regularly work 12 hour days that she wouldn't have been paid overtime for - I don't think managers were paid overtime at all in that company.  They did all get paid a kings ransom though and if they met their performance targets they'd be in line for a bonus of up to 40% of their salary - my manager once bought a Porsche with her bonus.

However, I think it's different for staff who don't have a higher level of responsibility, if you want people to do more hours, pay them.  If you can't pay them, don't ask.  I frequently work extra hours, stay late to finish of important work or come in at weekends but I get paid for it.  If it's an extra hour or two then I don't really bother claiming it back, that's nothing really.  I feel a level of personal responsibility to complete work I have on as well.

Reading through this thread there are similar comments to this and I cannot wrap my head around that mentality at all. An hour or two is time you could be doing something enjoyable for your own benefit rather than helping a company profit off of your time. You only get a finite amount of hours on this earth and I'll be fucked if I'm letting someone make money off the back of some of them for free. 

Surely if you feel you need to complete work then the company should be paying you for the hours it takes to do it? 

I give my work the bare minimum required, without arousing suspicion that I’m a lazy fucker. On the occasion I’m required to work over and above my contracted hours, I’ll do so with little fuss but make sure I’m compensated accordingly.

Companies, especially large multinationals, don’t give a f**k about their employees and would drop you in a second to save a bit of money themselves.

Someone in my work put a deadline on something of 5pm yesterday to be done. It’s not urgent and it’s not going to affect anyone but me and them. I’ve told them before that as it’s something to be done out of working hours (personal study) that it’s on my laptop at home and therefore I can’t send it during working hours. They expect me to be able to drop everything and send it to them, now I have neither a work phone or work laptop and as a result simply tell them no. Whilst I can’t see emails they send on a Sunday night, for all intensive purposes I don’t see them until I get in on Monday morning. I shall repeatedly have this argument as well.

I think that makes sense as I’ve written it down, maybe it doesn’t!?

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

Someone in my work put a deadline on something of 5pm yesterday to be done. It’s not urgent and it’s not going to affect anyone but me and them. I’ve told them before that as it’s something to be done out of working hours (personal study) that it’s on my laptop at home and therefore I can’t send it during working hours. They expect me to be able to drop everything and send it to them, now I have neither a work phone or work laptop and as a result simply tell them no. Whilst I can’t see emails they send on a Sunday night, for all intensive purposes I don’t see them until I get in on Monday morning. I shall repeatedly have this argument as well.

I think that makes sense as I’ve written it down, maybe it doesn’t!?

"Intensive purposes" doesn't. 

I like my job and don't mind taking a wee bit of extra time to finish stuff off - often that's easier than handing it on to someone else or doing it the next day.

I'd probably feel differently if I was in a job I hated, although I seemed to do a lot more work when I did jobs I hated.  I used to do overtime all the time when I was a labourer, mainly because I needed the money.  That was actually a decent job, outside and keeps you fit.  Not sure I'd fancy a career of it though.

I've seen me working all through the night on more than one occasion to get a tender finished. I'd like to have seen my bosses' face if I'd pulled on my coat at 5. 0'clock and said "See you tomorrow".

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I am in a job at a grade where the responsibility would be at the level you are talking about. I am happy to be available and do extra occasionally, i.e in emergencies or to come in if something must be done on a certain day but I would certainly take the time back for it and I certainly wouldn't do unpaid extra hours.

You have to value your free time, your work pay for X amount of time and days and that is exactly what they should get , at least the majority of the time. Too many employers play on this idea that you somehow owe them because they have given you a job and that you should do what they need you to do. Workloads, however, will always expand to fit the time available and if you work long hours, then more will come to you because you are then seen as a person who will stay and finish it.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've seen me working all through the night on more than one occasion to get a tender finished. I'd like to have seen my bosses' face if I'd pulled on my coat at 5. 0'clock and said "See you tomorrow".

Perhaps its a particular trait relating to your industry but why do you need to work through the night? Why can't the people who are working on it make sure that its done for 5pm the day before?

Were I work my colleagues work on submitting research grant applications. Often the academics leave it until the last minute to get things together but all that happens is that they put together a rubbish application and it doesn't get awarded. It never seems to me like a good idea.

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Reading through this thread there are similar comments to this and I cannot wrap my head around that mentality at all. 

Its why you'll be a minimum wage scheme goblin for the rest of your, thankfully short, existence.  :thumsup2

17 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Perhaps its a particular trait relating to your industry but why do you need to work through the night? Why can't the people who are working on it make sure that its done for 5pm the day before?

Were I work my colleagues work on submitting research grant applications. Often the academics leave it until the last minute to get things together but all that happens is that they put together a rubbish application and it doesn't get awarded. It never seems to me like a good idea.

:lol:

Tender periods have been slashed, sometimes as little as two weeks, usually with inadequate information. So as well as your everyday tasks of ordering materials, checking invoices against quotes, submitting valuations, checking for/measuring/costing variations, measuring up subbies, attending site/progress meetings, applying to get on tender lists, you're chasing up information that should have been provided from the get go, and then chasing subbies/suppliers for quotes. Short of camping on their doorstep it's nearly impossible to get quotes out of some of them, particularly one man bands who don't employ an estimator and have their day job to attend to.

Also builders' merchants no longer employ dedicated estimators so half the time you're dealing with someone who doesn't have a grasp of what's required.

Edited by Jacksgranda
grandma

20 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

It's just folk who are either so shit at their job that they're staying later to finish something, folk who are brown nosers or folk who are total sad acts and do unpaid overtime because they seem to rate work over anything else.

I'm generally here past my finishing time (5pm) but it's more down to me working my flexi-time that way. The industrial estate I work in gets extremely busy with traffic at 5pm and can take 20 minutes to get out on a bad day, so I'll generally stay on another half an hour and then head home rather than sitting in traffic. But other times I'll have urgent work come in at 5pm and can't leave it till the morning, so I need to stay and get it done. I'm on a salary so I don't get paid for overtime, just get the time back, which is actually preferable for me tbh.

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

"Intensive purposes" doesn't. 

It's crazy how many people I see using that phrase incorrectly these days (my boss uses it on a daily basis).