Work colleagues

Ok, so tomorrow there is a works evening out (im on annual leave currently) for one of the guys who’s emigrating. He’s a decent enough guy but my issue is im the only boss down to go (the others have excuses) and being new to the office I dont really know any of them, I dont drink (have to drive anyway) and don’t want them thinking im there to take notes etc. I was thinking about going buying them a round and leaving after an hour or so. Do you all think this is alright? That way I show face, get a round in and leave them to get on with it. Or should I just not bother going?

this is exactly what a boss should do on a night out. they will be worried to let their hair down if you are there all night but if you dont appear they will think you are a p***k for not making the effort. getting them a drink then saying your good byes is a win win all round as im sure you wont enjoy sitting nursing a juice watching them get pished!

17 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

It's always the same self absorbed twat who just waffles about shite on the forum. Then their gimpy wee pals just nod at everything or laugh. No agenda no minutes no actions. It's stealing money from the company you lazy b*****ds. Some people at my work are never out of them but nothing comes of it.

Fixed.

13 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ok, so tomorrow there is a works evening out (im on annual leave currently) for one of the guys who’s emigrating. He’s a decent enough guy but my issue is im the only boss down to go (the others have excuses) and being new to the office I dont really know any of them, I dont drink (have to drive anyway) and don’t want them thinking im there to take notes etc. I was thinking about going buying them a round and leaving after an hour or so. Do you all think this is alright? That way I show face, get a round in and leave them to get on with it. Or should I just not bother going?

Isn't being on annual leave a good enough excuse not to go?  If not, then your suggestion sounds very reasonable.

Turning up to a work's night out when you're on annual leave is OFTW behaviour if you ask me.

If you weren't on annual leave I would say go, buy a round and then bugger off sharpish with an excuse about having to pick someone up or whatever.

As you are currently on annual leave, I would say don't bother going.

Turning up to a work's night out when you're on annual leave is OFTW behaviour if you ask me.
If you weren't on annual leave I would say go, buy a round and then bugger off sharpish with an excuse about having to pick someone up or whatever.
As you are currently on annual leave, I would say don't bother going.

Im not trying to be oftw, just thought as im in town this afternoon and if i was spotted after saying im not coming it might not look good! Appreciate the reassurance folks.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im not trying to be oftw, just thought as im in town this afternoon and if i was spotted after saying im not coming it might not look good! Appreciate the reassurance folks.

Just my opinion of course, every workplace is different and has different dynamics.

I would say, in general, that a new boss turning up to a night out for someone they barely know while they're off on annual leave could be considered a bit of a "try-hard" or possibly even only there to check up on how folk behave on work's nights out when they have a few bevvies in them.  Especially if you're not drinking.

Offices are weird places full of weird people.  You can't judge them using normal standards.  Just wait for the next night out and go and get steaming with them.  Sorted.

Bonding via alcohol is almost always the way forward.

It's a night out on a school night? My suggestion would be to turn up and show you're as cool as the young ones ... but then remind everyone that they're working the next day and therefore they shouldn't be drinking alcohol. Then press home your point by getting a round of orange juices in. Then make your excuses. 

For the past three days, around 1pm, the office I work in has been overwhelmed by an unholy smell of fish (insert Kenneth at your discretion... and a second one for "insert").

It got so bad today that we had about four folk trying to see into the vents to establish whether someone had shoved a fish in there, and the heating was causing it to smell at a certain time.

Now, I work in a fairly large office so after about 10 minutes of this a guy a few desks down pipes up to inform us all that it's his smoked haddock.

c**t has been eating the same lunch every day for a week, microwaving these bits of fish so the kitchen stinks, then taking it to his desk to eat it so the office stinks.

Disgraceful behaviour.

The company I work for is 10 years old this week.  And to celebrate the directors are taking everyone to Las Vegas for the weekend.  
It was arranged in October and I, along with 4 or 5 others, started working here in November so we aren't going.  The company isn't closing, were having to work as normal and just do the job of about 4 people each today and Monday, dealing with clients and customers.
They're flying Aberdeen > Heathrow this morning then Heathrow > Vegas tonight so they've had to get into the office for 5 am today to be driven to Aberdeen to catch the flight at 9.   One of the lads lives in the Black Isle but luckily his dad lives about a 5 minute drive from the office, so naturally he stayed there last night so he can walk the 15 minutes from there to the office this morning.
Just found out from a colleague that he and his dad were up until 2 this morning boozing, he didn't turn up at 5 at the office, one of the cars went into the general area of where they think his dad lives, they rang him several times, Facebook messaged, the lot.  No answer.
He phoned them at 7 this morning in a blind, drunken panic, only to be told they're just past Inverurie and he has to get his pished arse into work for half 8.   As I type this at half 8, there's no sign of him.  But when he does show up, my reaction will of course be 'haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaaaaaaa'.

That is absolutely outstanding. What a complete bellend!