Work colleagues

On 12/12/2018 at 18:21, Cerberus said:

I have an interview for a job in Denver.
It seems a good job but I don't know if I want to move there. It seems a lot of hassle and the job actually might be shite.

Has anyone ever accepted a new job but rather than quit their current job just hedged their bets and called in sick or taken holidays to see if I like the new one or not?

Is that a thing?

Colorado has the most attractive women in the US. Denver has the fittest population of any in the whole country. Seriously, everyone is beautiful.

They like the scots over there.

One other thing I noticed is that you can't drink as much. The altitude means you get pished very quickly.

Do it mate.

22 minutes ago, Adam said:

It's our office wide one tonight, and as with all previous years, I have not signed up to go.  Get these nights in the bin, pretending to enjoy the company of those you're forced to spend seven hours a day, five days a week with.  I'd rather be enjoying myself with my real friends thanks.

image.jpeg.6923c03a321adadc20fecb7c92eefc76.jpeg

Last week someone came to work Monday coughing and spluttering, took Tuesday off and back Wednesday no better.

Someone else went home Tuesday lunchtime after being a martyr for a day and a half coughing and spluttering and was off Wednesday

Another off Friday after coughing all week.

I've been ill all weekend and been at GP this morning to be told whatever illnesses were about last week page turned into a chest infection for me and am on antibiotics and signed off for the week.

If you're not well don't be a fucking martyr and bring your germs into work to spread around

7 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Last week someone came to work Monday coughing and spluttering, took Tuesday off and back Wednesday no better.

Someone else went home Tuesday lunchtime after being a martyr for a day and a half coughing and spluttering and was off Wednesday

Another off Friday after coughing all week.

I've been ill all weekend and been at GP this morning to be told whatever illnesses were about last week page turned into a chest infection for me and am on antibiotics and signed off for the week.

If you're not well don't be a fucking martyr and bring your germs into work to spread around

You have the week leading up to Christmas off work. Sounds like a reason to be cheerful to me.

You have the week leading up to Christmas off work. Sounds like a reason to be cheerful to me.
The walk from the GP via the chemist for my prescription home involved having to stop twice for coughing fits and and 10min coughing to the point of vomiting fit when I got back to my flat.

Bar that I agree LoL

3 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

I find that when ill, it's actually more conducive to recovery to go to work than stay at home with the wife and kids. Also I'm a contractor, so I don't get paid for being sick.

I'm pretty sure I'm the workplace idiot.

I locked a colleague in reception today, sent a stupid email joke around the office and did the old CTRL ALT and arrow key to a colleague's computer (I did it a couple of weeks back and she went through the settings to sort it; will probably keep doing it until she figures out what's actually happening).

In saying that I have organised a cheese day on Wednesday and have arranged for us play to Flonkerton on Thursday, so I'm not a total dick.

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I locked a colleague in reception today, sent a stupid email joke around the office and did the old CTRL ALT and arrow key to a colleague's computer (I did it a couple of weeks back and she went through the settings to sort it; will probably keep doing it until she figures out what's actually happening).

In saying that I have organised a cheese day on Wednesday and have arranged for us play to Flonkerton on Thursday, so I'm not a total dick.

image.jpeg.97e89b4b99f62eadfbf971bf1b01698e.jpeg

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Image result for Mick McCarthy Careless Whisper

Don’t think I’ve noticed this thread before.

My department are pretty sound and we enjoy a laugh. Elsewhere is much the same although the average age of staff has plummeted alarmingly (there are only 5 people left from when I started and one of them is retiring soon) and I feel I’m in danger of becoming the grumpy old b’st’rd of the place despite being in my 40s.

In the 20 years I’ve been here there have been a number of cases where people arrive in a promoted position and it’s abudantly clear that they’ve been given a glowing reference just so their previous employer could get rid. They then leave a trail of destruction before moving on to somewhere else.

40 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Don’t think I’ve noticed this thread before.

My department are pretty sound and we enjoy a laugh. Elsewhere is much the same although the average age of staff has plummeted alarmingly (there are only 5 people left from when I started and one of them is retiring soon) and I feel I’m in danger of becoming the grumpy old b’st’rd of the place despite being in my 40s.

In the 20 years I’ve been here there have been a number of cases where people arrive in a promoted position and it’s abudantly clear that they’ve been given a glowing reference just so their previous employer could get rid. They then leave a trail of destruction before moving on to somewhere else.

With an even more glowing reference, no doubt...

1 minute ago, AyrshireTon said:

Exactly. Been interesting to see a former such colleague get found out elsewhere.

Is there no come back on the referee in these instances? I suppose it's very hard to prove that a reference is deliberately misleading, just embellish everything slightly.