Work colleagues

1 hour ago, philpy said:

To get to the toilets at my work, you have to walk through the canteen then through another door. Despite signs being put up, everycunt leaves the door open.

So... they just sit there doing a shite with the door open and everyone in the canteen can see?

6 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

What's everybody's view on people buying gifts for their work colleagues when on holiday? My supervisor has come back from the Caribbean with a bottle opener with a dolphin on it for me and the other guy in the team. The girls got a shot glass.  I can now add this to the horrible Abu Dhabi fridge magnet I received from another wifey here. 

Who goes away on holiday and thinks ah I better buy a selection of gifts for my colleagues?  Once in a blue moon I'll buy a box of chocolates at the airport if I have time but I go on holiday to forget about work.  Obviously it's a nice gesture before anybody calls me a heartless b*****d but I can't be the only person who gets annoyed by this?

Generally accepted over here that if you are going on holiday, you either provide something for everyone before you go(Generally a selection of pastries or cakes from the bakery across the road) or you bring something back that is along the same lines. Only time I have deviated from that was the start of the year when my old man died and they all had to cover stuff at short notice, where I brought them back bottles of Whisky instead.

So... they just sit there doing a shite with the door open and everyone in the canteen can see?
No, there are three separate cubicles through the door. But still, the smell filters through if the main door is open. Slightly off putting if you are sitting eating lunch in the canteen..

We have a  once a month meeting with other departments where little of interest happens and you just get through it.  Last month a new hire appeared who was a dead ringer for Charles Manson minus only the swastika tattoo but he did make a significant amount of weird facial tick gestures. Meeting going on soon, I am almost looking forward to it unless he was recently arrested for a bunch of murders in LA or something. I hate when things like that spoil your meeting. 

8 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

What's everybody's view on people buying gifts for their work colleagues when on holiday? My supervisor has come back from the Caribbean with a bottle opener with a dolphin on it for me and the other guy in the team. The girls got a shot glass.  I can now add this to the horrible Abu Dhabi fridge magnet I received from another wifey here. 

Who goes away on holiday and thinks ah I better buy a selection of gifts for my colleagues?  Once in a blue moon I'll buy a box of chocolates at the airport if I have time but I go on holiday to forget about work.  Obviously it's a nice gesture before anybody calls me a heartless b*****d but I can't be the only person who gets annoyed by this?

Up to individuals.

It was a thing in my previous office. You'd bring in some cakes/chocolates for the section on your last day before a holiday. It isnt a thing in my current office.

I don't mind getting a big tub of sweets (or a couple of smaller boxes) or some cakes to bring in if I've got a small team but some folk have loads of staff and it becomes expensive. £10 for goodies is fine but with bigger teams you can easily be looking at double that. Then there are folk who are management grade but who don't manage staff. Do they bring stuff in? Do they not take anything that other people have brought in? It all gets a bit daft.

If my current office wanted to do it then I'd join in but I've never really pushed for it since I moved nearly 4 years ago. 

Christmas is worse. You could have 4 or 5 people where a bottle of wine or something similar is a nice wee thank you. You could equally have a team of 10 or 12 folk where even cheap bottles would push you up to £60-£80. When do you call a halt? And are your staff expected to chip in for their manager? We usually stick money in for our boss and when I've had staff in the past I've been given a bottle of whisky as a thank you. It's a nice gesture but it can put pressure on folk, particularly if you have 2 managers in the same bit of the office getting significantly different gifts.

I really liked what we did in my old office before Christmas holidays. Junior management grades would put in a fixed £20 a head whether you had a team of staff or not. Our manager would then put in £60. We usually ended up with at least £200. For that we could cater for our bit of the office. Our admin staff didnt need to pay, we'd effectively shut down our part of the office for an hour and we'd cater for everybody (usually via Costco for food and drink). Nobody felt obliged to go to Christmas nights out. Everybody saw it as a wee thank you from the managers before the peak festive holiday period started and the staff always seemed to like that we did it for them. Folk were then free to head out after work having had some food for a night out that they actually wanted to go to.

8 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

I brought back some Lviv coffee when I was there a couple of weeks back for my colleagues. I don’t drink coffee but they do so thought some mint coffee would be nice. Don’t think it’s even been opened. 

Wouldn’t bring back individual gifts though unless I was really pally with them and it’s something they requested beforehand. 

1 minute ago, Karpaty said:

I brought back some Lviv coffee when I was there a couple of weeks back for my colleagues. I don’t drink coffee but they do so thought some mint coffee would be nice. Don’t think it’s even been opened. 

Wouldn’t bring back individual gifts though unless I was really pally with them and it’s something they requested beforehand. 

I had to google 'Lviv'.

Its fucking Lemberg.

Now I know where of which you speak.

Nah, cakes before you go is fair enough. Ive bought things for folks before and they’ve given me money as its been something they’ve asked me to pick up for them.
Before I go on holiday I’ll buy my staff a roll or some pakora.
In my old office they did a shitey secret santa where everyone bought crap passive aggressive presents for each other, I suggested we spend the £10 each on buying a gift each for kids and donate them to the local foodbank, wasnt well received so I let them do their secret santa and I made a donation instead, I can live without a jokey pen or glow in the dark mug.

Received yesterday- subject line "you wouldn't steal a car"

"so please don’t steal my butter…

Hate to be this guy, but please know that it is NOT OK to either use, throw away, or just take other people’s food (In this case  a tub of Lurpak that I bought and had only used once!). In a building full of adults it shouldn’t be necessary to write my name on things that belong to me.

This is not even the first time this has happened. Please be respectful of other peoples things.

Rant over."