Work colleagues

41 minutes ago, Buzz Killington said:

Also this pish.image001.jpg

How do they plan to make folk who don't want to partake stump up the £2? 

We did the Christmas jumper thing last year. I didn't mind because it was just an excuse to have a 'dress down'* day, and I had a brilliant Slayer jumper that I wore all day.

*See next post

'Dress down'. This annoys me. I wear cheap stuff as my 'work stuff'. The trousers I have cost about £12 a pair. I have a few cheap as f**k polo shirts (circa £6 each) under which I wear cheap Primark t-shirts. So 'dress down' is a bag of nonsense, as stuff I'd wear on a 'dress down' day is better quality and more expensive than my usual work stuff.

Quite why in 2017 we are still asked to wear 'traditional work stuff' in an office is a mystery. Always annoyed me when I worked in supermarkets that they'd insist on you wearing 'smart shoes', even though you were putting things on shelves and on your feet all day. I doubt customers even noticed, let alone gave the slightest f**k. I certainly don't care if the person putting tins or boxes on to shelves in Tesco is wearing trainers or shoes. The shoes I always got were cheap ones anyway. I eventually just wore black trainers, as I wasn't suffering sore feet for a pish wage.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

'Dress down'. This annoys me. I wear cheap stuff as my 'work stuff'. The trousers I have cost about £12 a pair. I have a few cheap as f**k polo shirts (circa £6 each) under which I wear cheap Primark t-shirts. So 'dress down' is a bag of nonsense, as stuff I'd wear on a 'dress down' day is better quality and more expensive than my usual work stuff.

Quite why in 2017 we are still asked to wear 'traditional work stuff' in an office is a mystery. Always annoyed me when I worked in supermarkets that they'd insist on you wearing 'smart shoes', even though you were putting things on shelves and on your feet all day. I doubt customers even noticed, let alone gave the slightest f**k. I certainly don't care if the person putting tins or boxes on to shelves in Tesco is wearing trainers or shoes. The shoes I always got were cheap ones anyway. I eventually just wore black trainers, as I wasn't suffering sore feet for a pish wage.

Why would you wear a t shirt under a polo shirt?

19 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

One c**t at my work who works in admin (i.e. They communicate with us pretty much solely through email, e.g. If you phone them and ask them for something, they say "yes not a problem, can you email me the request", no I fucking can't I've just asked you on the phone you turd, anyway I digress) refuses to believe he has received anything by email.  Last week I even went down to the office, got him to show me his email and I pointed it out to him in his in box. And he'd fucking opened it.

p***k.

There are two parts to this. I agree with the second part, i.e. that if you email this fool something then it should be done. Sounds to me like they are a fud who doesn't organise their emails correctly. I personally believe that everything should be in folders; if something is still in the inbox, then it required action.

The first part I'm not on board with, as I don't want people calling me. If someone at my work calls me or sends me a message on Skype, the inference I draw from that is that they think their question is more important than whatever I'm doing at that moment. It isn't. 
Email me. It goes into my inbox and I decide on its priority.  I don't wish to discuss the matter; if you've written a sensible email no further discussion will be necessary, and we will have an audit trail of events.

There's a wee sack in my office who pops over to say "I've just sent you an email".
~ "Have you, aye? Well done. Now f-ck off back under your rock".

21 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't care about trees. I do get fed up with people that never bothered to find out how to use email though and ask when something changed etc.

"When did x change?

Three weeks ago, you got an email.

I didn't get it.

Yes you did, we all did.

Well I never.

Do you want me to forward it again?

No, I'm just going to keep doing it the old way."

19 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

One c**t at my work who works in admin (i.e. They communicate with us pretty much solely through email, e.g. If you phone them and ask them for something, they say "yes not a problem, can you email me the request", no I fucking can't I've just asked you on the phone you turd, anyway I digress) refuses to believe he has received anything by email.  Last week I even went down to the office, got him to show me his email and I pointed it out to him in his in box. And he'd fucking opened it.

p***k.

The guy I work with is exactly that guy.  He literally has the least to do out of everyone and when a customer phones up and says he hasn't received anything from this guy he denies ever receiving the email. "We were having some email problems so maybe it didn't get through" or "who said that? I wasn't informed" before we go and prove that he's not only got the email but he's read the thing. Absolutely infuriating.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Quite why in 2017 we are still asked to wear 'traditional work stuff' in an office is a mystery. Always annoyed me when I worked in supermarkets that they'd insist on you wearing 'smart shoes', even though you were putting things on shelves and on your feet all day. 

I can understand why they want people to look smart when they are customer facing but I tend to agree that shoes probably aren't required and black trainers would be a fine option. When I first moved from the shop floor into the office (this is about 8 years ago now) I was told by the old General Manager that I would need to dress smarter.  We aren't facing customers each day (only very, very occasionally) but I thought well I'm being told by the GM, I should listen. I went out and bought a few shirts and went to work the next week.  I was standing at the vending machine and one of my pals from another office shouted "Nice get up, you got customers in today?", I said "no, I've been told I need to dress smarter these days" and laughed.  I walked out the canteen and the HR manager was standing waiting on me, she asked who had told me that I needed to dress smarter because it was a pile of shite. I explained and she said "son, you wear whatever you like at that desk, if a customer is in seeing you then wear a shirt".  She's a lovely wee women our HR manager who doesn't really stand for this "traditional" stuff in the workplace. Don't think she had arseless chaps in mind when she said "wear whatever you like son" mind you...

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

The first part I'm not on board with, as I don't want people calling me. If someone at my work calls me or sends me a message on Skype, the inference I draw from that is that they think their question is more important than whatever I'm doing at that moment. It isn't. 
Email me. It goes into my inbox and I decide on its priority.  I don't wish to discuss the matter; if you've written a sensible email no further discussion will be necessary, and we will have an audit trail of events.

I'm with you on this one. It's one thing if it really 'is' just a quick question but if it's something which will require more of my time then IM or phone calls imply that my work is so unimportant that I can just stop what I'm doing whenever you want something. Unless you're noticeably senior to me, then you can f**k off.

Also; I may have moaned about this before but I utterly detest the IM conversations which go something like...

Hi Shotgun, are you busy?
Yes, what do you need?
Can I ask you a question?
Yes.
Can I call you?
Yes
What's your number?

Like everyone else in the company, my phone number is readily available and they could've looked it up in a fraction of the time it took to go through that ritual. Even more worser are those who lead off with the "Are you busy?" "Can I ask you a question?" routine and then ask me to call them.

I've just finished my thesis and started a job, which is my first experience of a 'work' office. Everybody seems pretty sound, there's a few linguistic problems (I am the only person who isn't Czech or Slovak) but it hasn't been too much of an issue so far. Everyone else seems to work an insane number of hours though - I've been in at 9 every day and usually there's been folk in for a good hour before me at least, and they all take their lunch at around 11; same people will then still be there when I leave in the evening. Will take some getting used to. It's a small office though - only about 20 people work there, so everyone's quite friendly. 

No doubt in a couple months' time I'll have a different view...

There's a wee sack in my office who pops over to say "I've just sent you an email".

There used to be a fud based in another location who would phone near every time he sent an email. Most annoyingly was the fact he’d phone before the email arrived.
“I’ve just sent you an email”
“I’ve no got it yet”
“No, you won’t have, I’ve just pressed send now. Anyway, what it says is...”
“Hang on a fucking minute, I can fucking read” (screamed internally every time)
Send the email or make the phone call, not both at the same time! If you send the email and I’ve not got back to you in a timely manner dependent on importance then call.

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

He maybe doesn't enjoy the nipple burn.

Which is surprising, given some of his previous pram related postings. 

I've only had that once. It was when was about 17 and got a new Adidas t-shirt with an ill placed logo. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

I later got a big rip in the back of the shirt by catching on some barb wire whilst I was ducking under a piece of fencing.

I didn't like that t-shirt.

I do enjoy nipular stimulation though

10 minutes ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Does anyone have someone in their office that tells everyone the same story and makes the exact same jokes each time someone comes in and expects you (the person on the next desk) to laugh every time you hear it?

There's a woman by me who does something similar, although its not a joke.

Everytime, every day, someone does something that they do at the same time every day, such as folk who go for their morning coffee, folk going for lunch or me going for a shite* she says "Oh, is that the time?".

f**k off. Yes, that's the time. The time is shown on your computer and your work phone, as well as your mobile which you have sitting on your desk face up.

*Not really. Although I usually go for a shit at around the same time most days I do vary the time (or rather my bowels do) and I don't announce that I'm going for a shit.

7 hours ago, milton75 said:

There are two parts to this. I agree with the second part, i.e. that if you email this fool something then it should be done. Sounds to me like they are a fud who doesn't organise their emails correctly. I personally believe that everything should be in folders; if something is still in the inbox, then it required action.

First part, couldn't agree more. Anything needing kept should be filed away and anything else deleted. Inbox should basically be a to do list. Remember once someone next to me looking at my screen and seeing 10 emails in the inbox and making a joke about wishing he had it as easy, and pointing at his inbox with over 100 unread emails. You're clearly shit at your job, and not responding to multiple important emails -f**k off.

5 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I'm with you on this one. It's one thing if it really 'is' just a quick question but if it's something which will require more of my time then IM or phone calls imply that my work is so unimportant that I can just stop what I'm doing whenever you want something. Unless you're noticeably senior to me, then you can f**k off.

Also; I may have moaned about this before but I utterly detest the IM conversations which go something like...

Hi Shotgun, are you busy?
Yes, what do you need?
Can I ask you a question?
Yes.
Can I call you?
Yes
What's your number?

Like everyone else in the company, my phone number is readily available and they could've looked it up in a fraction of the time it took to go through that ritual. Even more worser are those who lead off with the "Are you busy?" "Can I ask you a question?" routine and then ask me to call them.

On Milton's second part and the above, it will depend on the industry, but I disagree. There's plenty of reasons for having to skip an email that might not be read for days and going straight to phoning. This afternoon I got told to create something in two hours and needed a hand with a bit of it, if I'd sent an email and respected the person's current workload I just couldn't have got it done. Whilst that's not their problem, if they took the attitude of 'send me an email and I'll reply when I fancy it' like the above, it would be a disaster, and if everyone took that view, the industry would collapse.