Your old school & famous ex pupils

Louise Port ex gmtv presenter and gf of Craig brown.

Should probably have thought of Louise considering she lived two doors away from me. Craig Brown spent Hogmanay in our house one year. Good guy.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Historian, c**t and radio and television presenter, David Starkey is the only one I've heard of. however, Wikipedia also lists the following:

Apparently that's the lot, which, considering the school was founded almost 500 years ago, isn't overly impressive.

On 30/06/2017 at 09:44, K.T said:

Going by Wiki there seems to be a few musicians from my former school.

KT Tunstall, The Beta Band, King Creosote, James Yorkston and Dogs Die In Hot Cars. Other former pupils such as SNP MP Chris Law and some wifey off Smack The Pony as well as a bunch of science fuckers.

You do the Madras a disservice, plenty more than that, going by the 'poshometer' and the lack of footballers, we're right snobby b*****ds. :smartass

6 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Harsh mate, harsh.

When were you there? I left in 98.

82 then went back in 93 for a year to sit highers.

19 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Wasn't Terry Christie headmaster of Ainslie Park at one time.

He was during my tenure there (83-87), and a really good bloke to boot. 

He was Meadowbank Thistle gaffer at the time too and didn't mind chatting football when he had 5 minutes to spare.

Jo Swinson went to Douglas Academy, and we were reminded about it quite literally every assembly. Think Katie Archibald was an ex pupil too, the cyclist.

Footballer wise Greg Docherty was the year above me. Think that was pretty much it, unless you count the fact Billy Dodds' son and daughter were a few years below me.

My Dad went to Bearsden Academy at the same time as David Moyes though, so I guess that's quite notable.

Edit: Oh aye, current Miss Scotland as well. I went to Primary and Secondary with her. Easy one to forget...

On 30/06/2017 at 09:04, Lex said:

Castlehead High

Richard Madden out of Game of Thrones and various other TV shows.  Nice guy, should really get round to watching that one day.

Derek McInnes went to Castlehead too , was in year behind me. 

famous - no

non famous -Me - Hard as f**k....Ran to the neighbor school.

Now -  Saaft as bag o shite.  

School - Primary 15 different & 2 high (where ever i was, legend for fists) 

Hermitage Academy down in Helensburgh.

Only really Hazel Irvive is of note. Early 80s Rangers player Derek Parlane as well. Pretty poor return from a huge school.

For a school of several hundred pupils in Glasgow's West End only to have produced Justin Currie of Del fucking Amitri, is a fucking disgrace, frankly. 

Wikipedia - the school was noted through the 1970s for its rigid uniform code and highly conservative, rote-learning traditional teaching methods, notably in arithmetic and English grammar.

We'd have been better off being raised by wolves. 

For a school of several hundred pupils in Glasgow's West End only to have produced Justin Currie of Del fucking Amitri, is a fucking disgrace, frankly. 
Wikipedia - the school was noted through the 1970s for its rigid uniform code and highly conservative, rote-learning traditional teaching methods, notably in arithmetic and English grammar.

Was your school called Wikipedia?

And Del amitri were an excellent wee band.

Ooft. Dodgy, dodgy.

I went to Prestonfield Primary for a while- I think John Greig and Sandy Jardine went there as they came from Prestonfield. 

then I was packed off to a posh school to make me all kultured and that. Former pupils include: 

Malcolm Rifkind -Scottish Tory
Martha Kearney- Journalist
Malcolm Chisholm- Labour politician
Billy Wolfe- SNP politician
David Steel - Lib Dem Politician
Pete Baikie and Jack Docherty of Absolutely
Basil Spence, Architect
Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull
Rugger buggers the Hastings Brothers
Finlay Currie - Film actor

it's an egg chasing school but Craig Sutherland managed to make 12 appearances for Cowden a couple of seasons ago.. 
Times Columnist and cheeky wee shite Hugo Rifkind was a couple of years below me and could have done with a boot in the pants. Chris Hoy was also a couple of years below me, I wish I'd burst the tyres on his bike. 

but they're all cnuts compared to the wonderful Dougal Sharp who gave the world the most quaffable Innis and Gunn beer. 

On 6/30/2017 at 15:54, Highland Capital said:

Richard Hastings - Gold Cup-winning, Canadian international defender (scored a golden goal against Mexico you know!)

Ryan Christie - A couple of years below me.  A nice guy.

Some guy off Fame Academy.

Ah I forgot about Christie.  I was gone about 5 years before he would've started in S1 and about 5 years the other way for Hastings.  Only Gilfillan was there the same time as me.

On 03/07/2017 at 20:54, Duszek said:

Did famous lawyer Diane Coulston not also attend your school?

Archived