TRNSMT Festival

Cumdog35

21 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Blame this c**t:

Gerry Cinnamon review – belter of a show delivers the joy Sydney needs  right now | Pop and rock | The Guardian

Yeah I'm pissing in the wind here. If people want a festival where Gerry Cinnamon, Nutini and Capaldi headline with The Fratellis, The Courteeners, The Enemy and a shitload of other crap bands that had a number 15 hit in 2005 then that is what Scottish promoters will keep giving them. More than any other country, festival goers here just want to get pissed on warm Tennent's and sing Chelsea Dagger at the top of their voice. A touch depressing, but hey, whatever floats yr boat.

On 14/09/2021 at 15:46, capt_oats said:

Also depends on who's on album cycle and who isn't. Radiohead have headlined plenty festivals up here but if they're not touring then you're not going to get them doing a one-off.

As you say the line-up for the first Connect is pretty much as 'alternative' as you'd get festival wise. 

575-list-100507-connect-gig-listing.jpg?

It wasn't DF but Indian Summer was another one that leaned 'alternative' but only lasted a couple of years.

HiRes-1.jpg

the-list_574_073.jpg

I'd genuinely be interested to see what sort of numbers a festival with a Pitchfork or Primavera type line-up would do tbh. Do you get 50k per day or whatever turning out to a festival headlined by Massive Attack, Pavement, The National, Nick Cave and Tyler etc?

As an aside, the 2022 Primavera line-up is absolutely off the scale. Fucking. Hell.

wxlyhl0hhi6waly5n7oi_1623142514078.jpg

I was at that Connect festival and it was absolutely brilliant. I'm sure it was pretty much sold out as well, it was certainly very busy. To be honest, I think the global financial crisis did for these festivals more than anything else to be honest. T in the park, etc were big enough to just about ride it out, but pretty much all the smaller festivals across the UK died.

8 hours ago, GAD said:

I was at that Connect festival and it was absolutely brilliant. I'm sure it was pretty much sold out as well, it was certainly very busy. To be honest, I think the global financial crisis did for these festivals more than anything else to be honest. T in the park, etc were big enough to just about ride it out, but pretty much all the smaller festivals across the UK died.

I went the second year and it was pretty much a mudfest, but yeah, was a cracking festival. Great bands, a good atmosphere and a great selection of food compared to your usual burger and chips shite. Would love something like that again but don't see it ever happening up here again, certainly not on that scale 

2 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I went the second year and it was pretty much a mudfest, but yeah, was a cracking festival. Great bands, a good atmosphere and a great selection of food compared to your usual burger and chips shite. Would love something like that again but don't see it ever happening up here again, certainly not on that scale 

I was at that one as well. Still raging I missed Mercury Rev because the missus took a whitey and I had to drag her back to the tent. 

Also met Duke Special earlier that evening, absolutely roasted out his nut.  

Great festival, good size crowd and great music. 

3 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I went to the Sunday of the second one, but it had been absolutely pishing it down and definitely felt quieter than the year before. I'm not sure if maybe a few people that had been there the Friday/Saturday had spat the dummy and headed home because of the weather.

Still, it was a great festival. Actually one of my favourite memories of the first one was wandering into Inverary on the Sunday lunchtime to get a few pints at the George and watch St Mirren play Celtic. We got beat 5-0 but the place was jumping and a great laugh.

• 2 months later...
On 14/09/2021 at 15:34, Bert Raccoon said:

I think it's because every time they've attempted the alternative it's  went down like a dose of the shits, examples being when they booked Nick Cave and Nine Inch Nails to headline the second stage at T In The Park and hardly anyone turned up or Connect festival that lasted two years or even the earlier Rockness line ups which were pretty diverse.

Although a decent alternative would be great, for most promoters it's not financially viable 

I see they're bringing back Connect.

Interested to see how it compares.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Connect was ace. All for that unless they include George Ezra.

In fact, if there was a chance of getting to chuck a pint tumbler of pish at George Ezra, sign me up.

This was the 2nd one in 2008.

45f71dd5a6004fc9cff5e631b69330aa

There was obviously a shift from Beastie Boys, Primal Scream, Bjork as headliners with The Go! Team, Modest Mouse and Idlewild on the 2nd stage to Kasabian, Bloc Party and Franz on the main stage and Mercury Rev, Gossip and Duffy on the 2nd but I'll be interested to see what the equivalent of either version of the festival would be in 2022.

It feels like there's been a gap for this sort of thing for ages as invariably when they booked more "interesting" bands at T in the Park no one went to see them and TRNSMT kind of is what it is.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I see they're bringing back Connect.

Interested to see how it compares.

Every time I see that 2007 line up poster I assume it's a pisstake because it's so stacked. 

As an aside I still regularly listen to 1990s first album Cookies because it's brilliant. 

2007 Connect was one of my favourite festivals though the line-up was an absolute clashterfuck, have never forgiven myself for going to see the Go Team instead of Beastie Boys. I’m sure I saw Super Furry Animals and Echo and the Bunnymen though they’re not on that poster. Great to hear it’s back, please don’t f**k it up.

*Pictish Trail and Stuart from Mogwai following the Twitter account interestingly. Also a Pavement tribute account getting my hopes up. 

Edited by Gibby82

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Every time I see that 2007 line up poster I assume it's a pisstake because it's so stacked. 

As an aside I still regularly listen to 1990s first album Cookies because it's brilliant. 

Agreed, fantastic album and a great live act, shame they didn't last too long