TRNSMT Festival

Cumdog35

Went yesterday on a day ticket, mainly for Courteeners. Was a good day out.

Got in and went straight to AJ Tracey. Not my genre at all but he’s one of the best in the business. Seen him at a few festivals and he always puts on a good show. Don’t think I’d go to his gig.

The Snuts dropping out was a shame but we went to the Lathums instead. First time seeing them after hearing good things and they did not disappoint. One to watch for the future.

Blossoms are not bad but samey. Seem to be on the bill at nearly every festival and just bang out the same 12 song set. Bit dull really but pleasant enough to listen from the back with a burger and a pint.

Sam Fender was unreal. Never seen him live before but he was on great form.

Courteeners smashed it as they usually do. Liam Fray is a bit of a dick but he knows how to get the crowd going mental. 

I went on Saturday, I was probably more than three times older than the majority of the folk there.

Still it was a grand day out, The MUrder Capitals were really good as were Twin Atlaantic and Keane.

Primal SCream were absolutley superb, mind you I am pretty biased when it comes to Primal SCream.

Liam Gallagher was a OK, the Oasis songs were good, his own stuff not so much.

55 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

First acts announced for next year

image.thumb.png.9b800e2e5d24bee15bd61a5a04b8d164.png

Years of nominating the Strokes on the 'who do you want to see' form finally pays off. 

Although I have already purchased tickets for Primavera to see them. 

1 hour ago, gc_smfc said:

Years of nominating the Strokes on the 'who do you want to see' form finally pays off. 

Although I have already purchased tickets for Primavera to see them. 

Yeah The Strokes are the only real standout for me there. I think they really need a decent second stage as a lot of people will have no interest in watching Capaldi or Nuttini if them two and The Strokes are the actual headliners 

8 minutes ago, RiG said:

Would probably go for Jimmy Eat World and then leave immediately for being too old to be see at something so #scene.

Fontaines DC are a band in their 20s who seem to attract an audience twice their age.  And one of them looks like John Denver minus the smile.  So you can stay for them.  

Foals, The Strokes and Jimmy Eat World. Hello finger, meet pulse. And a double whammy of Capaldi and Nutini for the Radio 2 crowd. Why do festivals in Scotland have to be of such a non threatening nature. Why not Bjork or Nick Cave or Childish Gambino or Radiohead for a headliner. Why not a supporting cast of Black Country, New Road or My Bloody Valentine or Parquet Courts or Aphex Twin. f**k me, it's all so beige.

1 minute ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Foals, The Strokes and Jimmy Eat World. Hello finger, meet pulse. And a double whammy of Capaldi and Nutini for the Radio 2 crowd. Why do festivals in Scotland have to be of such a non threatening nature. Why not Bjork or Nick Cave or Childish Gambino or Radiohead for a headliner. Why not a supporting cast of Black Country, New Road or My Bloody Valentine or Parquet Courts or Aphex Twin. f**k me, it's all so beige.

Blame this c**t:

Gerry Cinnamon review – belter of a show delivers the joy Sydney needs  right now | Pop and rock | The Guardian

Would be quite nice to see a bit of balance to the line up and maybe get some female artists on the main stage. Not just ringing up Amy McDonald to make up the numbers.  

To be clear, this is not encouraging the return of the Queen Tut's stage which is possibly the most condescending move I've ever seen from a festival. 

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I think it's because every time they've attempted the alternative it's  went down like a dose of the shits, examples being when they booked Nick Cave and Nine Inch Nails to headline the second stage at T In The Park and hardly anyone turned up or Connect festival that lasted two years or even the earlier Rockness line ups which were pretty diverse.

Although a decent alternative would be great, for most promoters it's not financially viable 

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I think it's because every time they've attempted the alternative it's  went down like a dose of the shits, examples being when they booked Nick Cave and Nine Inch Nails to headline the second stage at T In The Park and hardly anyone turned up or Connect festival that lasted two years or even the earlier Rockness line ups which were pretty diverse.

Although a decent alternative would be great, for most promoters it's not financially viable 

Also depends on who's on album cycle and who isn't. Radiohead have headlined plenty festivals up here but if they're not touring then you're not going to get them doing a one-off.

As you say the line-up for the first Connect is pretty much as 'alternative' as you'd get festival wise. 

575-list-100507-connect-gig-listing.jpg?

It wasn't DF but Indian Summer was another one that leaned 'alternative' but only lasted a couple of years.

HiRes-1.jpg

the-list_574_073.jpg

I'd genuinely be interested to see what sort of numbers a festival with a Pitchfork or Primavera type line-up would do tbh. Do you get 50k per day or whatever turning out to a festival headlined by Massive Attack, Pavement, The National, Nick Cave and Tyler etc?

As an aside, the 2022 Primavera line-up is absolutely off the scale. Fucking. Hell.

wxlyhl0hhi6waly5n7oi_1623142514078.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, RiG said:

Would probably go for Jimmy Eat World and then leave immediately for being too old to be see at something so #scene.

They were down as a headliner for the second stage in 2020, so I imagine you'd need to sit through loads of shite to see them.

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Radiohead headlined it two years ago.