TRNSMT Festival

Cumdog35

Guest Moomintroll

The baldy Manc w**k is an arsehole who is a plague on the Scottish Festival scene, that line up, albeit to my musical tastes, will guarantee a procession of wannabee little hard men trying to cause trouble. Seen it before in several locations from the ABC2, Balado, Old Trafford & Heaton Park, some people who attach themselves to The Courteneers & LG "fans"take their cue wrongly from the off stage personas of the artistes & want to start fights which can get wearing if you are a grumpy b*****d like I am. Will be happily going to the NHBD Weekender in Warrington instead as my main Festival this year alongside the Llangollen IMF as it has a much calmer, fun vibe.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Yet another company with a CEO who treats his audience like imbeciles. 

They are though. 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

I'm at the age now that I just want to see the Courteeners and Liam Gallagher and get blootered with my pals every year. Big thumbs up from me.

^^^ exhibit A

The line up just looks cheap. A couple of solo acts, some run of the mill or over the hill indie bands and a couple of the mid 00's bedwetter bands who are still clinging on. Keeping the overheads down whilst fleecing the crowd for everything they can.

I assume there is another stage to be announced with younger, more current bands? 

The line up just looks cheap. A couple of solo acts, some run of the mill or over the hill indie bands and a couple of the mid 00's bedwetter bands who are still clinging on. Keeping the overheads down whilst fleecing the crowd for everything they can.
I assume there is another stage to be announced with younger, more current bands? 

By “cheap” do you mean total utter dug shite?

Deary me.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yup.

This year looks more like one of those medium festivals you could go down south and find for cheaper, outside of a couple of pretty strong sub headliners.

It’s a pretty dire lineup let’s be honest.

Good guys:

LG
Ian Brown
Sam Fender
The Courteeners (although not a fan myself tbh)

The rest, honking. I’d probably go on Saturday just to see LG again but I’m not excited.

The music scene truly is dreadful these days. Who could you get in that couldn’t be classed as a tired and boring act? I’m just surprised they didn’t get Glasgow’s other darling of the music world, Gerry Cinnamon, to come and play his bang average tunes about how he was a wee scallywag who used to sell weed.

Also, TRNSMT is full of Glaswegian children behaving like complete and utter cretins - wee b*****ds who talk really loudly and spend more time fighting each other and filming it on their phones than actually enjoying the gig. I was last there in 2018 and I am reliable informed that 2019 was even worse.

Anyone who was interested in whether The Courteeners were any good live could have tried any of their last 14 million gigs in Scotland or the rest of the UK over the last thirteen years or something. I suspect the market for £60 a pop for people giving them a first try is rather limited then. 

On 28/11/2019 at 09:54, jamamafegan said:

The music scene truly is dreadful these days. Who could you get in that couldn’t be classed as a tired and boring act?

While this is largely correct - the 'indie' revival of the 2000s died on its arse a full decade ago and has been replaced by another wave of beige, singer songwriter drivel*- there are still different strategies to deal with this other than 'copying and pasting the same names in a different order', which was Ellis' M.O. anyway even when T in the Park could have had its pick of headline acts fifteen years ago. There are some very large bands that have survived the mass cull and are releasing new stuff - Elbow for example, though I'm not personally a fan, would be far more credible headliners. There are also plenty of throwback acts on the tour circuit right now who aren't vapid mum-rock pish like Keane: I see that OCS are doing four nights at the Barrowlands instead next year; Supergrass and Primal Scream are also sold out multiple nights at the same venue. The Doves sold out SWG3 this summer and would be an excellent addition if they're doing the rounds again.

So while it's definitely harder to put a good lineup together right now, a respected organiser could appeal to the larger captive market that T in the Park used to have. The main issue is that Ellis is not respected nor interested in doing so. 

* a category which Sam Fender also falls into btw

On 28/11/2019 at 09:54, jamamafegan said:

The music scene truly is dreadful these days.

This is total pish by the way (btw). It might be "dreadful" if you're looking for the second coming of bucket-hat wearing Britpop'rs, but there's a lot of quality stuff around just now.

2 hours ago, yoda said:

This is total pish by the way (btw). It might be "dreadful" if you're looking for the second coming of bucket-hat wearing Britpop'rs, but there's a lot of quality stuff around just now.

There really is.  A lot of the stuff I listen to is from deep South America, but it's contemporary and relevant and stands up in my eyes to anything produced in the last decade.  There's a lot of generic gibberish, but look around deeply enough, and you'll be well served.