TRNSMT Festival

Cumdog35

VT - If you were travelling from Glasgow you could have gone via Perth and up the M90 that way and wouldn't have had to endure any of rural Fife so I'm not sure why you went via the Kincardine bridge. If you could recommend a more convenient available field that it could have been held in Central Scotland then I'd like to hear it.
Yes the headliners were predictable, particularly Calvin Harris but its what a lot of people want to see and when you're are the festival enjoying yourself he was always a safe bet.  Snoop Dogg and Rihanna played at either side of the Script on the Saturday night and I don't think either of them had played TITP before so that was refreshing.  Stereophonics, Ocean colour Scene, Deacon Blue and the Proclaimers are all great bands to have for a sing song  and there were acts that I hadn't heard of at the time like the Lumineers and Jake Bugg who were great to see also. What acts that were available that year could have been booked to make the festival better that year? Rolling Stones played Glastonbury but I'm sure that would have been a big ask. Maybe Jay Z or Kanye would have been something different but I can't say I regret never having seen any of them live. If TITP was shite for "years" before it went to Strathallan then I really would like to know what would have made it better.
FWIW the best line up was in 2011.

He’s not even been.

Worth noting there was f**k all refreshing about Rihanna. She was woeful. Went to see Alt-J at King Tut's after a while who were much much better.

Was that the fault of the organisers of T in the park that she was shit? She was still one of the most famous acts around at the time and a lot of people would have got tickets just to see her.

I'm not the target market and I'd not be able to judge if it'll sell. But f**k me, that whole line up is a special kind of hell. The past couple of years had at least had a few that were watchable, or that I at least respected or understood the appeal of even if it weren't particularly my thing. This year you've to get quite a way down the bill to find someone I wouldn't pay to avoid.

I remember people camping outside overnight to get Titp tickets, that certainly wasn’t happening in the final years of the festival. It was dying on its arse long before the venue change. As an aside, 2011 was a cracking year and lineup. I think that was the last time I went.

I remember people camping outside overnight to get Titp tickets, that certainly wasn’t happening in the final years of the festival. It was dying on its arse long before the venue change. As an aside, 2011 was a cracking year and lineup. I think that was the last time I went.

People maybe camped outside between 2006 -09 when it wasn’t so easy to get the tickets online and there would be a large mark up for buying the tickets on eBay etc. The internet moved on and tickets wouldn’t go for much above the asking price in the years that followed and people didn’t need to camp out to be guaranteed a ticket.

On one hand you’re saying 2011 was a cracking year with a cracking line up (which it was) but then you’re saying the festival was dying on its area long before the venue change. That was 3 years before it left Balado, was it dying on its arse then or was it a cracking weekend?

I feel like we are going round in circles here.

ETA 2011 sold out within an hour.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

People maybe camped outside between 2006 -09 when it wasn’t so easy to get the tickets online and there would be a large mark up for buying the tickets on eBay etc. The internet moved on and tickets wouldn’t go for much above the asking price in the years that followed and people didn’t need to camp out to be guaranteed a ticket.

On one hand you’re saying 2011 was a cracking year with a cracking line up (which it was) but then you’re saying the festival was dying on its area long before the venue change. That was 3 years before it left Balado, was it dying on its arse then or was it a cracking weekend?

I feel like we are going round in circles here.

ETA 2011 sold out within an hour.

Yeah I would say it started becoming shiter and shiter after 2011. 

Thing is, TitP - being a full weekend event with the camping and everything that goes with it - it was as much a social event and you'd get a lot more people just going every year for the craic, regardless of who was playing.

TRNSMT doesn't have that in the same way, it's more a series of stadium gigs and you'd think demand is likely to depend more heavily on the line-up. The social media backlash of the past couple of days might not reflect the final verdict - maybe they'll reach out to new audiences. But if it does, things could go pear-shaped for them much more quickly.

15 hours ago, Detournement said:

Or the break even point is incredibly low and if the tickets don't sell they'll just give them away 

Agree with this. None of the headliners will be commanding the money Arctic Monkeys, LG, Killers and Queen commanded last year. It's a low risk line up financially, hence why it looks so awful.

23 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

That was a tremendous line up that year. And like you say, absolutely scorching. That hot Snoop kept thinking he was in ‘Edinbuurg!’

At one point T in the Park really was huge.  That's an enormous layout on acts.  It was, in retrospect, never sustainable.    The days of festivals chock full of headliners is over, with the exception of Glastonbury, and even that has thinner years.  In all honesty, I'd look at Transmt if it were closer to, say, End of the Road or Green Man, but that's not their audience, so it doesn't really appeal to me.  The issue I have with this year's lineup is it seems like a bit too much of a box of frogs.  

Balado was only right off the motorway for people travelling from the east: for those travelling from the west of Scotland - by far its biggest market - getting to the site typically involved a trundle through the single-carriageway roads of deepest, darkest Fife and then an hour's queue to actually enter/exit the site. And then a similar trudge from the bus/car parks to the campsite entrance.

You’re a complete simpleton. That angry at absolutely nothing, you’ve actually failed to realise that your issue should’ve been with your bus driver being an unprepared moron, and nothing at all to do with TITP being situated at Balado.

Wrong again, as we're not all shit-flinging, utter fantasists like yourself champ.

Charming.

19 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

You’re a complete simpleton. That angry at absolutely nothing, you’ve actually failed to realise that your issue should’ve been with your bus driver being an unprepared moron, and nothing at all to do with TITP being situated at Balado.

If you'd booked a private coach the driver could make their own judgement about the best / quickest route on the day, but the majority of people bussing it were using the scheduled services for which the routes were mandated beforehand. Some years that did indeed involve significant queues. (Some years it wasn't so bad.)