TRNSMT Festival

Cumdog35

21 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Pretty sure the only reason Gerry Cinnamon isn't on the Catfish day is so that people buy tickets for more than one day.

100%. Gerry Cinnamon isn't my cup of tea but folk seem to love him so fair enough. He'll sell an absolute shedload of tickets on his own which means Stormzy isn't required to be a huge crowd puller. 

While Primavera went all in on a 50/50 split between male & female artists it would seem TRNSMT is doing the opposite. I count 3 female artists on the main stage across the whole weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

This won't go down the shitter. We'll add you to the list of total idiots that can't accept when they've been left behind.

I think you'll find it will - just like T in the Park and all the other festivals that phoned in absolute dross and then did a Rangers. The tickets will be plastered all over Groupon etc. for massive knockdown rates in due course and so the death cycle goes round another turn. 

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

I think you'll find it will - just like T in the Park and all the other festivals that phoned in absolute dross and then did a Rangers. The tickets will be plastered all over Groupon etc. for massive knockdown rates in due course and so the death cycle goes round another turn. 

The radio station giveaways are already well underway.

There's radio station giveaways for every single major festival when tickets just come out. Reading sells out every year yet they do them when tickets come out.

It's the giveaways nearer the time that give you a better idea. Like the Kendrick Lamar one where they said 3 pairs of tickets were available and they ended up handing out over a thousand.

12 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

Not that laughable now. Fastest selling arena tour in years. Probably the least laughable of the three.

Stormzy as a headliner... really hard to judge because he's not done a sizeable tour yet. He IS a big name though so I can kinda buy it, but he's probably the riskiest of the three. Hence why they put Gerry Cinnamon before him. He'll punt tickets if Stormzy can't. 

Why do you keep defending this shocking lineup, it's pish mate!

I'm defending it because I realise I'm beginning to get left behind a bit. We've got two acts at the top end who have sold out arena tours in less than an hour. In what way are they poor bookings?

We've got two subs who are arena bands, and all of the acts third are also arena playing acts, and another sub who's probably the hottest ticket in Glasgow.

There's absolutely nothing to defend here. This will sell tickets and that's the entire fucking point. There's plenty of festivals for us to go to if we don't like this. Anyone thinking this lineup is the demise of TRNSMT is just unable to pull their head from their own arse.

6 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

I'm defending it because I realise I'm beginning to get left behind a bit. We've got two acts at the top end who have sold out arena tours in less than an hour. In what way are they poor bookings?

We've got two subs who are arena bands, and all of the acts third are also arena playing acts, and another sub who's probably the hottest ticket in Glasgow.

There's absolutely nothing to defend here. This will sell tickets and that's the entire fucking point. There's plenty of festivals for us to go to if we don't like this. Anyone thinking this lineup is the demise of TRNSMT is just unable to pull their head from their own arse.

It's a shambles, acts who played last year playing again only moved up the ladder, very lazy!

As someone mentioned before, it's more or less turned into that T4 Beach thing or whatever it was called!

It'll be Electric Fields for me, unless they pull out a shiter line up like this one.

Edited by M0rtonfc

Once again, festivals used to book indie and rock acts because they were the ones who dominated the charts and loads of them were huge acts. That doesn't happen anymore. It's no surprise to see most of the indie acts are either shite, 10 years old, or at the bottom of the bill.

So the whole "T4 Beach" comparison is bullshit. Because that was at a time when pop and indie were at the very least on a par on popularity and that isn't even close to being the case anymore. You could afford to have a festival of something different to that because it could sell.

That's what people like you simply don't get. The job of the festival is to sell tickets. It's a business. If they put on what YOU wanted, it'd be dead within two years.

There is no evidence whatsoever that these C-list 'arena bands', when lumped together as part of a broader festival package, are going to generate significant ticket sales at all. If fans want to watch Gerry Cinammon then they can just wait for one of his own 17 million gigs every year; there is no reason for them to pay three times as much to get in return some completely unrelated acts playing on the same day of this shan festival. Which is why the lineup has already gone down like a stinking turd on social media and why Groupon et al. will be trying to shovel thousands of unsold tickets by May at the earliest. 

Your continued and tedious attempts to brand objective criticisms of piss-poor scheduling as subjective, old man yelling at a cloud whining about the youth of today is fooling absolutely nobody. 

Oh and given that Geoff Ellis and his shan company have a proven track record of driving their music festivals into a wall, the idea that they are soundly following the money rather than just 'making a monumental arse of it yet again' doesn't stack up with the evidence so far. 

I'm fairly sure the year Radiohead headlined they were the day that sold by far the fewest tickets and the Queen gig last year was selling tickets at half price. Shite line up though and I usually look for any excuse to go to Glasgow Green and pay 8 quid for a vodka as well but it looks like Riverside Festival is my only Scottish festival this year unless I can snag a ticket for some of the sold out Bandstand gigs.

24 minutes ago, virginton said:

There is no evidence whatsoever that these C-list 'arena bands', when lumped together as part of a broader festival package, are going to generate significant ticket sales at all. If fans want to watch Gerry Cinammon then they can just wait for one of his own 17 million gigs every year; there is no reason for them to pay three times as much to get in return some completely unrelated acts playing on the same day of this shan festival. Which is why the lineup has already gone down like a stinking turd on social media and why Groupon et al. will be trying to shovel thousands of unsold tickets by May at the earliest. 

Agreed. I have never seen such universal derision on social media of a Scottish festival (perhaps any festival) before. I don't buy into the argument that people will consistently pay high prices to see bands who play in Glasgow/Edinburgh three times a year. Especially not on a festival bill. Stormzy is the only act who hasn't played in Glasgow in the last 18 months and is probably the only one that justifies the headline slot (even if it is a bit of a risk, the guy is headlining Glastonbury). The Catfish day might sell well since it's the only one that has been relatively well curated, and the George Ezra/Jess Glynne day appeals to those that are far too young to attend festivals. Snow Patrol didn't sell out the Hydro a couple of weeks ago, so I can't see them pulling in the punters to make up the difference.

The gender divide is also laughable. Regardless of opinion on this, the fact that Ellis has come out and said that there are more female acts on the lineup this year when there are actually less shows exactly how clueless he is. A number of Scottish music outlets were contacted numerous times being asked to promote the festival and when they called DF out on the gender divide, they didn't respond and stopped asking.

I think he's probably talking about percentage of female acts, but it's still a fair point. And especially if they're willing to book pop acts higher up the bill now. It's not like there's a lack of female fronted bands and female artists out there.

Florence and the Machine turned it down to do Summer Sessions, but even that wouldn't have made up the difference much.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/trnsmt-festival-boss-responds-to-criticism-of-all-male-headliners-for-2019-2449598

Ok, fair enough, it might not be possible to book female headliners due to scheduling commitments at that time of the year. But having three female acts on the main stage across a whole weekend? Doesn't really add up.

1 hour ago, Principal Flutie said:

I think he's probably talking about percentage of female acts, but it's still a fair point. And especially if they're willing to book pop acts higher up the bill now. It's not like there's a lack of female fronted bands and female artists out there.

Florence and the Machine turned it down to do Summer Sessions, but even that wouldn't have made up the difference much.

Florence at the summer sessions will be glorious.  

4 hours ago, well fan for life said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/trnsmt-festival-boss-responds-to-criticism-of-all-male-headliners-for-2019-2449598

Ok, fair enough, it might not be possible to book female headliners due to scheduling commitments at that time of the year. But having three female acts on the main stage across a whole weekend? Doesn't really add up.

Doesn't add up at all.  It's complete cobblers.  Also, comparing Gerry Cinnamon to Oasis.  Good lord.