What covers are better than original

Fullerene

Another contentious one... so many versions.

I first heard it by Christine Perfect/McVie and it's stuck with me for years.

Looking for her version to stick on my play list, I came across Dua Lipa's cover of the classic Etta James song.  This is the best of the lot for me.

I didn't realise this was a Dylan song until a few weeks ago, but his original doesn't touch big Adele's delicious vocals and sparse piano.

I don't know if this has been done yet, but this one surprised me too.

3 minutes ago, velo army said:

I didn't realise this was a Dylan song until a few weeks ago, but his original doesn't touch big Adele's delicious vocals and sparse piano.

I don't know if this has been done yet, but this one surprised me too.

Everybody covers Dylan better than himself. Well, everyone except Guns n Roses!

On 25/06/2017 at 20:44, Arch Stanton said:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (Leonard Cohen) Why not the Shatner version?

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan) Ferr doos Jimi's version of The Wind Cries Proud Mary probably counts two. 

Having said that, almost every Dylan cover is better than his original.

The Man is a god (sic) and most of his versions are miles better than the covers (especially any done by Rod Stewart) notable exceptions for me are The Byrds (Tangerine Man) and Bryan Ferry (A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall) but certainly not Ferry's 2000ish album of covers - the trax I heard were extremely bland. George Harrison's If Not For You may count.

None of the many versions of Knockin' on Heaven's Door are better and most are not even close - do you hear that G'&'R?

I'd accept HOTRS by The Animals but that's a traditional song and not a Dylan original.

Robert Plant did a decent cover of One More Cup of Coffee but even though I love Planty I wouldn't say it was better - different and maybe eeksy-peeksy.

I'll maybe look through the thread to see who else else prefers the bland to genius (see Adele so tasteful it's egregious).

Edited by btb

9 minutes ago, btb said:

The Man is a god (sic) and most of his versions are miles better than the covers (especially any done by Rod Stewart) notable exceptions for me are The Byrds (Tangerine Man) and Bryan Ferry (A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall) but certainly not Ferry's 2000ish album of covers - the trax I heard were extremely bland. George Harrison's If Not For You may count.

None of the many versions of Knockin' on Heaven's Door are better and most are not even close - do you hear that G'&'R?

Maybe HOTRS by The Animals but that's a traditional song and not a Dylan original.

Robert Plant did a decent cover of One More Cup of Coffee but even though I love Planty I wouldn't say it was better - different and maybe eeksy-peeksy.

I'll maybe look through the thread to see who else else prefers the bland to genius.

Hendrix- All along the watchtower

Edited by coprolite
Just read your quoted bit. f**k it

8 minutes ago, btb said:

Maybe HOTRS by The Animals but that's a traditional song and not a Dylan original.

I'll maybe look through the thread to see who else else prefers the bland to genius.

Try this one even though it’s not better than the original. 

This one is better though.

4 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Try this one even though it’s not better than the original. 

This one is better though.

Heard both - would not be upset on anyone preferring Nina Simone's version of Tom Thumb's Blues altho' I disagree personally. On The Byrds, I prefer their own songs from that album, I felt their version of My Back Pages was a bit backwards looking.

I don't know if I'll manage the full thread but if anyone has mentioned Rod Stewart's version of Angel over Jimi's I'll probably cry.

There's an availability bias at work

Almost all the Bob Dylan covers I can think of right now are better than the originals because all the shit ones never entered the public consciousness enough sufficiently to lodge themselves in my memory 

We remember The Byrds "Hey Mr Tambourine Man" and turning it into a great record but we tend to forget Lulu doing it and I only just found out about 

Crimson & Clover by Tommy James and the Shondelles who had a unique achievement (I think) in the mid 80s when two of their songs were covered and were US No. 1 singles in succession.

Billy Idol - Mony, Mony

Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now

They've had other trax covered - I wonder if there's an album out there called Now, I think that's a Tommy James Cover!

On 06/06/2023 at 11:38, btb said:

I'd accept HOTRS by The Animals but that's a traditional song and not a Dylan original.

I'll maybe look through the thread to see who else else prefers the bland to genius (see Adele so tasteful it's egregious).

I really like Ferry's version of Simple Twist of Fate. 

I agree with your main point though.