What covers are better than original

Fullerene

Just been listening to William Shatner (and Joe Jackson) doing "Common People" by Pulp.
Shatner is better known for other things and his songs are usually a one-off joke of talking the lyrics - but this song is decent enough - and i can actually make out the words.
However, it leads on to a simple question.

What covers are better than the original?
I know Badfinger were impressed when Nillson covered their song "Without you" - as in "Hey wow what did you do with our song"

I especially like covers that a very different from the original.

49 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (Leonard Cohen)

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)

Having said that, almost every Dylan cover is better than his original.

I came on to talk about Dylan. The man himself preferred Hendrix's version of Watchtower and also praised The Byrds' versions of many of his songs.

2 hours ago, Miguel Simao said:

Valerie - Amy Winehouse (The Zutons)

giphy.gif

^^^ Songs Desecrated by Otherwise Decent Artists thread for this pish.

I'll nominate Brian Ferry's version of Let's Stick Together, and probably Jealous Guy too. I'll also make certain Dundee-based posters' heads explode by saying that Tatu's version of How Soon is Now pisses all over Morrissey's version  :P

8 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'll nominate Brian Ferry's version of Let's Stick Together, and probably Jealous Guy too. I'll also make certain Dundee-based posters' heads explode by saying that Tatu's version of How Soon is Now pisses all over Morrissey's version  :P

I too was going to suggest Le Ferry's Jealous Guy. And lots of others by him - eg Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.

Have to say that Guns 'n' Roses' version of Live and Let Die pisses all over Macca's original. 

I also remember a properly punked-up version of "Paper Roses" which appeared on CD around the time of our Cup win in 1997. Can't remember the band name, as I'm geting on a bit now...

Also, almost anything by these lads...

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You're on your own here, Dave.

@Bigmouth Strikes Again

Anyway all the songs Barry Gibb did the other night were excellent covers of stuff like Take That.  Much better versions IMO.

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, I stole that from Twitter.

I seem to remember one of The Smiths grudgingly admitting that Tatu's version was better than theirs, so I'm saving that for my trump card.

Didn't Barry Gibb write half of Take That's songs anyway? Might be the drink talking, but I seem to remember them doing lots of Bee Gees songs. Badly.