Annan Athletic 2017/18 thread

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Decent result last night Annan,anyone there who could give me a report?

I can't give you a full report, but I can ramble about the game a bit.

We looked on top for the first half hour, with only Rabin Omar and Aidan Smith providing your main outlet. Omar in particular looked good, and worked a few decent openings down the right. Unfortunately we barely got any serious shots away, and Jim Atkinson looked very comfortable dealing with any crosses.

Then came the moment that changed the game. We were denied a pretty strong looking penalty shout, players complained, play continued. Then, with the action at the other end of the park, Craig Charleston stopped the game, marched over to his linesman and flung a red card up. Nobody was sure if it was for Nadè or Raffi Krissian, but it quickly became apparent it was for Nadè. Things became chaotic, Stevie Aitken and Ian Durrant were on the pitch, and everyone was a bit shocked.

Fair play to Peter Murphy and the Annan players. They acted with class, and didn't try and make things worse like we see regularly down south.

Anyway, that took away our main goal threat, although Ally Roy was giving Scott Hooper a difficult time with his pace.

The second half was pretty dire. We were cautious. Annan struggled to keep possession and Charleston's whistle barely left his mouth.

Mark Stewart had a goal (correctly) disallowed for offside after Atkinson had spilt a low Chris McLaughlin shot, before you lot came within inches of the lead.

Dan Orsi looked to foul David Smith, but play continued and he ventured into the box. Then, from about 8 yards, he absolutely belted an effort that looked absolutely destined for the net. In fact he ran off celebrating...only for it to crack the inside of the post and fire out.

Charleston then played a starring role again as he awarded an indirect free-kick on the edge of the six yard box for a passback...despite the fact Scott Gallacher looked to flick the ball off Smith. Stevo smashed it, the ball bobbled around (I think it hit the post, and possibly a hand) before being cleared.

Owen Moxon was next to fall foul of Charleston's card game, as he picked up a second booking for a cynical tackle in the middle of the park. Was it a booking? Probably. However his first was for kicking the ball away, something our very own Mark Stewart got away with.

After that you guys had another indirect free-kick (correctly) awarded, but Gallacher made a sensational save from Stevenson's effort.

A draw was just about right, but it was far from a classic.

In terms of performances, I thought Krissian was your best player. Dealt quite well with Nadè when he was on, and strolled the rest of the game. Swinglehurst, Omar and Smith all looked decent too.

All the best this season, and apologies in advance for any mistakes in this. I'm typing it on a train I'm getting off in a few minutes!

I can't give you a full report, but I can ramble about the game a bit.

We looked on top for the first half hour, with only Rabin Omar and Aidan Smith providing your main outlet. Omar in particular looked good, and worked a few decent openings down the right. Unfortunately we barely got any serious shots away, and Jim Atkinson looked very comfortable dealing with any crosses.

Then came the moment that changed the game. We were denied a pretty strong looking penalty shout, players complained, play continued. Then, with the action at the other end of the park, Craig Charleston stopped the game, marched over to his linesman and flung a red card up. Nobody was sure if it was for Nadè or Raffi Krissian, but it quickly became apparent it was for Nadè. Things became chaotic, Stevie Aitken and Ian Durrant were on the pitch, and everyone was a bit shocked.

Fair play to Peter Murphy and the Annan players. They acted with class, and didn't try and make things worse like we see regularly down south.

Anyway, that took away our main goal threat, although Ally Roy was giving Scott Hooper a difficult time with his pace.

The second half was pretty dire. We were cautious. Annan struggled to keep possession and Charleston's whistle barely left his mouth.

Mark Stewart had a goal (correctly) disallowed for offside after Atkinson had spilt a low Chris McLaughlin shot, before you lot came within inches of the lead.

Dan Orsi looked to foul David Smith, but play continued and he ventured into the box. Then, from about 8 yards, he absolutely belted an effort that looked absolutely destined for the net. In fact he ran off celebrating...only for it to crack the inside of the post and fire out.

Charleston then played a starring role again as he awarded an indirect free-kick on the edge of the six yard box for a passback...despite the fact Scott Gallacher looked to flick the ball off Smith. Stevo smashed it, the ball bobbled around (I think it hit the post, and possibly a hand) before being cleared.

Owen Moxon was next to fall foul of Charleston's card game, as he picked up a second booking for a cynical tackle in the middle of the park. Was it a booking? Probably. However his first was for kicking the ball away, something our very own Mark Stewart got away with.

After that you guys had another indirect free-kick (correctly) awarded, but Gallacher made a sensational save from Stevenson's effort.

A draw was just about right, but it was far from a classic.

In terms of performances, I thought Krissian was your best player. Dealt quite well with Nadè when he was on, and strolled the rest of the game. Swinglehurst, Omar and Smith all looked decent too.

All the best this season, and apologies in advance for any mistakes in this. I'm typing it on a train I'm getting off in a few minutes!

Great report thanks very much!!

On 24/07/2017 at 21:26, shawfield shed boy said:

Were you actually present of the clyde game in Question and if so tell me what we done wrong other than the crime of supporting our team in a very reasonsble fashion & i can assure you most annan supporters were fine with us apart from say one or two who i take was you & The steward and club official had to act on it. Well done ya tool

Am sure the good people of pie and bovril will be shocked to learn that clyde fans acted in a way that seen you removed from the home terrace.dry your eyes and get over it.

On the subject of Clyde fans can someone go into their P & B thread and explain what their latest meltdown is all about ?

Not quite sure what it's about but it is an awesome read. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

They're absolute belters eh? Must admit, I love it. Gives you something to read over the close/pre season when there is not much going on.

Mr Murphy - note to self-apply some Bostic to arse and sit on bench next week. Team played better last week without you getting in the road and winding up the opposition AND the ref. Back line all over the place today and don't understand why big Swinglehurst sitting on the bench - he must have been cringing at our defensive disasters today. Early doors but clearly need a goal scorer. Stevenson well off the pace and Smith struggling up there himself. Saw more promise last week so not sure what went wrong today, although Ayr were a much better outfit than Killie. Mon the Annan.

Todays game was awful.our biggest problem is the bench is full of defenders.when poop hits the fan we have nobody to bring on from the bench apart from defenders.2/3 strikers are needed

eta and a couple midfielders.

Todays game was awful.our biggest problem is the bench is full of defenders.when poop hits the fan we have nobody to bring on from the bench apart from defenders.2/3 strikers are needed
eta and a couple midfielders.

I've been hugely unimpressed with Stevenson so far as he's got almost zero work rate. How was he Today?

Archived