Annan Athletic 2017/18 thread

He was on trial with Clyde (surprise!) has he been back with you guys since?

Surprised Chapman had him on trial because he didn't play him much at Annan.
He has played a couple of more season games for us.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We get the odd flash of brilliance from Smart and he's good player on his day but a lot of the time we don't see any decent end product.

Never forget him coming off the bench at Forthbank, Annan broke away in the last minute and he ran the whole length of the pitch, ball found him unmarked at the back post and, obvious to everyone watching, he punched the ball into the net before arguing with the ref for ages that he had headed it in.

That kind of summed Smart up for me every time I seen him, no not a cheating moan, but someone was bags of pace but no ability to do anything with it.

Never forget him coming off the bench at Forthbank, Annan broke away in the last minute and he ran the whole length of the pitch, ball found him unmarked at the back post and, obvious to everyone watching, he punched the ball into the net before arguing with the ref for ages that he had headed it in.

That kind of summed Smart up for me every time I seen him, no not a cheating moan, but someone was bags of pace but no ability to do anything with it.

For me that's spot on.

Think we need 1 good striker and we could do oright this season.
Like I said when Murphy took over, glad we're signing more local boys and hopefully we can get a loan or 2 in from Carlisle, like we got Swinglehurst and McKenna a few years ago

Not be picky but do you mean Todd?

11 hours ago, FiddyPence said:

No Ben McKenna

We've had a few decent players on loan from Carlisle. Swingers been decent at defending, maybe just defending mind. Todd & yup Ben McKenna were both good too. I noticed that Murph & Rutkiewicz were at Gretna early doors, maybe they were checking out some of the Carlisle youths to bring to Galabank. 

We had Steven at BSC as robbiep says solid defender. But he's never a footballer. He does tend to play well for a few games then gets it in his head he's a world beater. That's usually when it all goes wrong for him. He will do a job for you if you have someone playing along side him that can keep him in check.

The one time I saw Osadolor he looked unreal against us. Anyone that's capable of putting in a performance like that has talent. Its just a question of whether he can apply it consistently and whether a manager can utilise his game with the right tactics

Either Stevenson is very unfit or he's just a lazy type of player , cause he was poor v Workington. Was quite impressed with Gaffer Murphy in MF.
No.14 played well in the 2nd half. Nothing up front whatsoever. 

I agree Annandaft 
Peter Murphy looked very composed on the ball , 
number 14 was jack Brannan  he plays right back normally 

Peter Murphy is an absolute class act on the ball. No speed left so if someone runs at him he'll lose but he makes up for it with his reading of the game and his ball playing.

13 minutes ago, AnnanDaft said:

Aryton Sonkur signs, nae idea who he is. QoS development apparently. 

And then there were six....... You really are putting last years Development League West champions back together! Dont think Bob Murray has a club yet if you want to make it seven?

Ayrton is from Hawick. Was with us in the 17s before two years in the Dev squad. Arrived as a striker but converted to a centre half, he was an ever present at the back in our 20s team last year. He is well over 6ft. Got on the bench for one game for the first team last season but didnt get on. Good lad, hope he does well. Not near as experienced as the likes of Hooper, Moxon and Smith though.

Plenty of positives to be taken from yesterday. Playing decent football and creating chances. With 18 shots at goal to Clyde's 9 we really should've won but at least we're creating chance so goals will come.
Still short up top but I'm told its being dealt with. For a group of lads thrown together a couple of weeks ago they did alright.

Archived