The Celtic All Seasons thread

19 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

f**k me really? Is that how honking Kent has been? 

It was yourself who wanted to make the comparison with Kent, not me. I think the comparison of minutes played is one that supports my view, so you deflect.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

It was yourself who wanted to make the comparison with Kent, not me. I think the comparison of minutes played is one that supports my view, so you deflect.

You have taken me out the game with that Kent stat, mind blown at how bad that is.…mental. I need some time to recover 

statements mind blown GIF

Edited by Jinky67

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

so you deflect.

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You have taken me out the game with that Kent stat, mind blown at how bad that is.…mental. I need some time to recover 

statements mind blown GIF

Point proven. It is hard to have reasonable debate with you a lot of the time.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

Point proven. It is hard to have reasonable debate with you a lot of the time.

Reasonable debate? When did that become a thing around here? 

But seriously I wasn’t looking for a debate, it was a question posed to fellow Celtic fans on their opinion but instead I was ambushed by the Abergers alliance. 

Edited by Jinky67

10 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Reasonable debate? When did that become a thing around here? 

But seriously I wasn’t looking for a debate, it was a question posed to fellow Celtic fans on their opinion but instead I was ambushed by the Abergers alliance. 

Next time if you could specify who you will allow to respond to your posts on an open forum, that would be tremendously helpful. 

Aye, folk are going to give their opinion on something if it interests them. Particularly to challenge a selective narrative of a player. I am also not sure how it was determined that Abada is “at least of equal potential” to Bassey. 

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, folk are going to give their opinion on something if it interests them. Particularly to challenge a selective narrative of a player. I am also not sure how it was determined that Abada is “at least of equal potential” to Bassey. 

Bassey appears to have had one good season then become shite? I reckon Abada can match that...

26 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Bassey appears to have had one good season then become shite? I reckon Abada can match that...

I can’t profess to have watched any Eredivise football this season so I will take your word for it. All the more impressive we will get up to €23m for him then 😂

3 hours ago, AJF said:

Me saying I was looking to get the opinion of fellow fans doesn’t mean you shouldn’t or can’t post, I’m just saying I wasn’t posting looking for a debate especially since a Rangers fan won’t agree regardless of how evidenced based an argument may be.

You don’t agree and that’s fine 

Edited by Jinky67

Got a hypothetical question (or 2 I suppose) for the Celtic fans.

Do you think your current team would beat the Rodgers 2016 team or the 2001 MON team? 

I’m not thinking purely about the individual players but more the overall team, the pressing intensity etc.

4 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Do you think your current team would beat the Rodgers 2016 team or the 2001 MON team? 

I’m not thinking purely about the individual players but more the overall team, the pressing intensity etc.

I think we are better now than the 2016 team yes and we play better football now than that team imo 

The 2001 team may be the best Celtic team I’ve seen in my lifetime. We were competing with a strong Rangers then and had some real strong performances in Europe. You also had Larsson who was a bona fide world class talent and went on to prove that. The football with that team was much more direct but it was some team and our current performances in Europe need to improve significantly to be compared to them

Edited by Jinky67

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I think we are better now than the 2016 team yes and we play better football now than that team imo 

The 2001 team may be the best Celtic team I’ve seen in my lifetime. We were competing with a strong Rangers then and had some real strong performances in Europe. You also had Larsson who was a bona fide world class talent and went on to prove that. The football with that team was much more direct but it was some team and our current performances in Europe need to improve significantly to be compared to them

I do think the clash of styles between the 2001 and current team would be interesting as I remember O’Neills team being a big physical bunch of bullies.

14 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

2001 for me. We had Sutton who could play very well at centre back when needed and Hartson who was admirable up front. As for Henrik. Best Celtic player I ever saw in the flesh. As @Jinky67 said, it was pretty direct football but very effective too. That team feared no one for a period of time.

9 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I do think the clash of styles between the 2001 and current team would be interesting as I remember O’Neills team being a big physical bunch of bullies.

Was just about post similar to Jinky above. The Rodgers team was heavy possession based, keepball pass teams to death & rely of a piece of individual brilliance. I’d put my money on this current team in that fixture. 

2001 MON team had a bit of gallus about them, very direct, smash & grab, lock-it-up at the back. I very well put together team with the world talented Larsson who could just win you a game out of nothing.

Would be a right good 2-legged affair between this current team and MON’s. Very contrasting style of play, very effective and both had that sense of teamwork, giving that extra to cover you teammates back.

4 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Excluding the last derby game I think the current Celtic side have got a lot better at defending set plays but Thompson's delivery and Sutton/Bobo/Mjallby/Joos and later Hartson/Varga in the box would cause carnage. That said the O'Neill team mixed it up more than they're often given credit for,  they could play too. Lubo was a unique talent and Lambert a European cup winner. Guys like McNamara and Petrov were top players as well and would be ideal for modern football football in general and Ange's team in particular.  

Football was obviously different 20 odd years ago and I don't think that side was built to deal with the pressing of the current team. Bobo probably blooters the ball out the park with Kyogo/Maeda harassing him or just blooters them. Jota causes serious damage to Agathe, even with his recovery pace. For me McGregor is a better midfielder than anyone we had then or since. Hatate is a special talent who sends Lenny for his tea. Douglas/Gould were a weak link but that said Hart's not on the same level as Boruc or Forster. CCV and Starfelt match up as well as any centre half pairing in recent memory to the physical challenge of Sutton and Hartson but obviously Larsson is just a cut above anything we've had since. World class, nobody compares, he destroys the current team like he destroyed everyone. 

I think you'd have to make a peak O'Neill team favourites. Perhaps I'm being unfair but I think that we won more games back then due to individual bits of talent and skill. Now it's more of a team effort and down to the style of play implemented by the manager. 

Rodgers first season Celtic were on fire but as has been said everything they did was predicated on keeping the ball. I don't think the current team let them do that. We're much more direct now and I think the pace the Ange team play at would seriously trouble that defence and midfield. Dembele, Sinclair and Tierney were obviously class acts that could hurt the current team. In terms of trophy haul Rodgers record was untouchable but there was a real drop off in terms of quality in seasons 2 and 3.  Ange's side have kicked on a gear this year - remains to be seen if we'll do a treble but in terms of performances I would be confident the current team would win.