Jump to content

The Celtic All Seasons thread


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s genuinely the funniest comparison I think I’ve ever read. You just compared yourself to Novak Djokovic 😂

I missed out the word fans, hoped I could style it out so now just need to go with it. So I’ll just refer to myself as the GOAT from now on.

This thread needed an injection of accidental humour anyway 😉

Edited by Jinky67
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jinky67 said:

I missed out the word fans, hoped I could style it out so now just need to go with it. So I’ll just refer to myself as the GOAT from now on

That makes it less hilarious but still invalid. Individual sports are clearly different. Novak Djokovic isn’t the best because he bought the most expensive racquet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jinky67 said:

I’m not Jesus mate, I’m trying to run him close however the big man set some standards, it’s not a level playing field with him being the Son of God and all that however I don’t mind I enjoy the challenge and the alternative of being a vanilla, whiny fucker on p&b is much less appealing.

 

Vanilla?  Ok, if you like.

I'm sorry, but if you think there's a valid comparison to be made between a fan of a team with massive advantages, and an outstanding individual sportsman, in terms of attitude to winning, that's simply hilarious.

Novak Djokovic is unbelievably, historically brilliant at something.  I'm risking making the assumption that like nearly all of us, you're not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Almost as bad as the “you must get bored of winning” chat you hear from opposition fans 

Or my personal favourite is how we don’t really know what it’s like to celebrate winning something 

It’s hilarious from them at times 

We get told that one minute then celebrate too much when we score, the logic is all over the place tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I missed out the word fans, hoped I could style it out so now just need to go with it. So I’ll just refer to myself as the GOAT from now on.

This thread needed an injection of accidental humour anyway 😉

But in a later post, you asked if I thought he ever got bored of winning.

 I think the comparison was clearly made. It's magnificent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

We get told that one minute then celebrate too much when we score, the logic is all over the place tbh.

The logic is consistent.

We're suggesting that because inevitable triumphs can't really be that exciting, the OTT celebrations are contrived.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The logic is consistent.

We're suggesting that because inevitable triumphs can't really be that exciting, the OTT celebrations are contrived.

You can suggest all you want but that theory really is desperate stuff, I have experienced all sorts of emotions going to the football but it has never felt fake or put on. Often the reason why we go is to live in the moment, that doesn’t differ to any match goer really. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can kind of get what MT is trying to say and why he would feel that way but in my experience titles are pretty distinguishable 

my earliest actual memories of Rangers winning titles and knowing kind of what was going on was probably 8 and 9 in a row . Both pretty memorable and distinguishable in their own way .

the Advocatt years well one was clinched at parkhead so that is pretty stand out .

Mcleish’s two last day triumphs particularly 2005 couldn’t be any more stand out if it tried .

The three under smith and particularly the 7 minutes at rugby park may be the best “scenes” I have actually personally experienced in a stand until last seasons Europa league semi  / aribo’s  goal in Seville .  
 

Gerrard’s title memorable for reasons well documented  

so no they really don’t all blur into one celebration . They all have their own unique memories 

 

Edited by Forever_blueco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Novak Djokovic is unbelievably, historically brilliant at something.  I'm risking making the assumption that like nearly all of us, you're not.

Depends on what you mean at historically brilliant I guess. What I will say is I have represented this country as an individual and won World, European and multiple British championships in my other passion, would have possibly had a shot at the Olympics once upon a time if not for politics 🙁 If I added up my gold medals over my 32 year competitive career I might rival big Novak but sadly I’ll never be as well known 😉 

I’m now even more fortunate to be able to now pay this back by coaching my sons who now both represent Scotland and with now clearer pathways you may even end up cheering them at a Commonwealth or Olympic Games in the future 🙏 Now wouldn’t that be a thing 

 

Edited by Jinky67
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You can suggest all you want but that theory really is desperate stuff, I have experienced all sorts of emotions going to the football but it has never felt fake or put on. Often the reason why we go is to live in the moment, that doesn’t differ to any match goer really. 

Well I find it distinctly odd.

I remember in season 2012/13, we were in the third tier having just been relegated (a bit like right now actually).  We totally dominated the season, not losing until December, winning the league so early that the pitch was banked in snow.  

I enjoyed winning the Challenge Cup that season because we beat Rangers as well as the top two in the Championship en route, but the league campaign got bloody boring.  Wins felt inevitable and goals were greeted with nodding applause from a seating position.  

Now during that season, we did have advantages.  Most sides were part time and we weren't.  The only club of comparable stature was Ayr, but we certainly didn't have vast relative wealth.  As it was though, some good players came through together and we were too strong for our surroundings. 

Easily dismissed of course by OF fans if they choose, but I think the comparison stands.  It was a one-off season, but the point is that winning all the time genuinely wasn't that much fun because it felt and looked too easy.

I honestly find it baffling that tens of thousands travel from all over Scotland each week to watch wild mismatches.  The appeal quite escapes me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Depends on what you mean at historically brilliant I guess. What I will say is I have represented this country as an individual and won World, European and multiple British championships in my other passion, would have possibly had a shot at the Olympics once upon a time if not for politics 🙁 If I added up my gold medals over my 32 year competitive career I might rival big Novak but sadly I’ll never be as well known 😉 

I’m now even more fortunate to be able to now pay this back by coaching my sons who now both represent Scotland and with now clearer pathways you may even end up cheering them at a Commonwealth or Olympic Games in the future 🙏 Now wouldn’t that be a thing 

 

That would indeed be a thing.

If you really have achieved excellence in an individual sport, you must recognise the absurdity of the earlier comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well I find it distinctly odd.

I remember in season 2012/13, we were in the third tier having just been relegated (a bit like right now actually).  We totally dominated the season, not losing until December, winning the league so early that the pitch was banked in snow.  

I enjoyed winning the Challenge Cup that season because we beat Rangers as well as the top two in the Championship en route, but the league campaign got bloody boring.  Wins felt inevitable and goals were greeted with nodding applause from a seating position.  

Now during that season, we did have advantages.  Most sides were part time and we weren't.  The only club of comparable stature was Ayr, but we certainly didn't have vast relative wealth.  As it was though, some good players came through together and we were too strong for our surroundings. 

Easily dismissed of course by OF fans if they choose, but I think the comparison stands.  It was a one-off season, but the point is that winning all the time genuinely wasn't that much fun because it felt and looked too easy.

I honestly find it baffling that tens of thousands travel from all over Scotland each week to watch wild mismatches.  The appeal quite escapes me. 

People wouldn’t pay the money they are asked to if they didn’t get something back out of it that meant something to them as it isn’t inexpensive. If the next victory was the same as the last or the one before they would simply get bored and give up their tickets. That doesn’t happen though and the current waiting list for tickets is pretty big. One of my sons has been on the list for over 3 years and still hasn’t been close to an offer.

Like Gannon I can remember great things from most seasons going right back to when I was joining the protests against the Kelly’s and those days we were shit. When we stopped 10iar it was brilliant, MON 1st season and the Seville season were superb. When WGS was in charge and we scored the last minute winner against Rangers to start the comeback. Lennon’s tenure when we came back from 3-on down at Killie, the invincible treble and subsequent three others and now Anges maiden season. Tons of memories and tons of enjoyment 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy reading Stephen King because he’s a great storyteller. He’s also fantastically popular all over the world, regularly outsells lots and lots of other authors and is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

 I’m going to stop.

 


I’m no.

 

I also own deceased horror writer James Herbert’s pen. Well, one of them. I imagine he had loads.

 

’Mon The Hoops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

I’m now even more fortunate to be able to now pay this back by coaching my sons who now both represent Scotland 

Terrific. Best of luck to both of them, you should be very proud (even if they don't make the 'next' step. A great achievement)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

I enjoy reading Stephen King because he’s a great storyteller. He’s also fantastically popular all over the world, regularly outsells lots and lots of other authors and is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

 I’m going to stop.

 


I’m no.

A game effort, but this one breaks down badly too I'm afraid.  You see, the spectacle that you invest in when you buy a book, operates in isolation.  It doesn't concern a direct competition with King and another writer who's of a far poorer standard. 

Literary merit is of course more subjective too, and we're back with the idea of an individual, as opposed to a team.  Again, King's success is not due to the expense of his typewriter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A game effort, but this one breaks down badly too I'm afraid.  You see, the spectacle that you invest in when you buy a book, operates in isolation.  It doesn't concern a direct competition with King and another writer who's of a far poorer standard. 

Literary merit is of course more subjective too, and we're back with the idea of an individual, as opposed to a team.  Again, King's success is not due to the expense of his typewriter

Djokovoc and Stephen King are the best at what they do as a result of their talent and hard work not because they started out with obscenely more money than their competitors. The Beatles didn't swan about Liverpool in the early 60's, rising to the toppermost of the poppermost because they had twenty times the financial muscle of Gerry & The Pacemakers.   Celtic, on the other hand , are the top club in Scotland due to their financial might allowing them to pay and buy the top players. Whether you consider that financial power to be the result of prudent housekeeping and clever business acumen or the result of fanning the flames of secterian bigotry and reaping in the proceeds along with their soulmates at Ibrox, is merely a matter of opinion. To non Old Firm fans this is so obvious as to be beyond debate. If you support Celtic or Rangers you understandably refute that point of view. It's all about 'we want it more', 'we never stop' , 'we are the people ' etc etc etc. Who's correct ??  Non Old Firm fans of course  ! 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Terrific. Best of luck to both of them, you should be very proud (even if they don't make the 'next' step. A great achievement)

Sincerely thank you, i really do appreciate that 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...